bad rap on force

bobmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have tryed to sell my 90 maxum 21ft. open bow ,no fade on paint and the interrior very clean ,motor runs very good ,good comp.about 135 in all clyinder,i,ve tryed to sell it at 4300. i get all kind of people to look at it ,but when they call a shop on it , they decide not to buy,i,ve called a shop and tell them i was buying a boat with a force ,and all the guy could say is to stay away from it ,i din,t think that is fair for the people that do have a good force . just had to speak out on that ,thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bad rap on force

Sorry, Bob, but if you spend a lot of time on this board, you will notice that Force problems seem to be as many as all other brands combined. I'm sure it is a bad rap on a lot of individual motors, but so is the rap on FICHT 'Rudes, and NOBODY is buying them. Bulletproof reputations seem to sell very well and risk . . .well... not very well.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

bobmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i understand that ,because i,ve seen people on the lake with 125,s it,s full trottle from start to stop.i,ve always backed off to about 4900 rpm,s ,i have two freinds that have maxum,s with force 125,s the one i owned about 5yrs. ago he has never even change the plugs and it still runs good,but the other on has had nothing but problems with has lower unite and thats it ,so i gust it s all in how you take care of it ,right

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Bob, <br /><br />As Clinton used to say..."I feel your Pain"...<br /><br />I used to own an '87 Force 85hp and I know what your going through. I had the same problem selling mine. ( I now have a Honda and am sad because all this great info on these forums, but my engine never seems to have anything go wrong with it... I'm actually considering picking up and used outboard so I have something to fiddle with)<br /><br />Anyways, where was I...<br />If a Force is well maintained, fed NEW fuel, GOOD oil and is run every week or so, it will run great for many years. The problem with their rep is that they were always the "Low end" motors and almost always put on the "Low end" entry level boats. These boats were primarily bought by people new to boating and they did not know how to "care" for their engine. These are the types who take it out for the weekend, park it in the back yard, (dont bother to run the fuel out of the engine), let it sit for 10-12 weeks in the hot sun and then try to use it again. Meanwhile, the carbs have gummed up, there is condensation in the tank, Hornets are now nesting in the waterpump intake, etc... When they try to use it, it doesn't run well, they get angry and sell it, blaming the Engine manufacturer.<br />It's sad, but there's really no way change perceptions in people. Force is a "Good" outboard for the price. No it's not the best, but it was one of the cheapest. <br /><br />And in your position, it doesn't help anything that Mercury Dropped the Force Line because it would cost too much to make the engines EPA compliant with the new regulations.<br />As far as selling it goes, get it tuned so it runs great and then let your prospects hear/test drive it. A good service dealer locally should also make selling it easier.<br /><br />Nav

bobmoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i totally agree with nav,thanks.it,s a shame ,because it,s a very clean boat i,ll run it all summer then sell it for what i can get for it ,hopelly atleast 3000.

page62

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '85 Bayliner with a 50 hp Force. In fact, I was reluctant to buy the boat because of the motor. But you know what? The durn thing starts every time and it runs and runs! (It's not the most powerful engine, but it seems reliable...)<br /><br />Anyhow, I even called around some boat shops once looking for a replacement engine. I ended up talking to a fellow who convinced me to keep it. He has a repair shop plus a fleet of rental pontoon boats. According to him, the Force motors have been very reliable! Many people who trash Force have no first-hand knowledge!<br /><br />If you want some selling points with regards to these engines, consider this: Force engines tend to be simpler than others, and therefore less difficult to fix. And parts are readily available. As long is the compression checks out OK, there's really no reason to believe a Force engine is going to have a greater degree of problems.<br /><br />Be patient, you'll sell the boat (especially this time of year).

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

All I can add to this is;<br />I am so glad Force has this "less than stellar" reputation,so that I can capitallize on it!!!<br />How else am I to afford a 1996 120HP outboard that runs like a raped-ape, for less than 1000bukz??<br />Hold -out for a good price,Bob. And as long as the engine is strong,well maintained,enjoy it. Sure, you wont get much as a trade-in. And the boat won't sell for nearly as much as it would with a F.I.C.H.T.<br />(Failing Ignition Causing Horendous Trips)...<br />But at least it will start and run.

fishingfool

Cadet

my friend laughed when he saw i got a boat<br />with a 85hp force,but six years and about 30<br />tournaments later he was still shocked to see how good it runs.Only problem i had was one of the electrical boxes go but a used one<br />at 150$ did the trick.i havent even fogged the engine of stablized the gas for storage.Thing wont die

rogerwa

Commander

My 92 Force 50 is the first OB I have owned and my experience mirrors all the above. Mine starts everytime, doesn't like extended closed throttle operation (fouled plugs), and is easy to maintain and fix. It is a simple motor, which is fine with me.<br /><br />I bought it used last year and it had two problems. The first was sediment in the tank which clogged up everything in the fuel path until I towed it one weekend 150 miles only ot have the system totally clogged and not know what was wrong. The second was the starter would not spin the engine fast enough. I cleaned the fuel system and replaced the starter. When I start it now, I barely engage the starter and it starts right up.. It runs cool even though it is on a pontoon and running hard.<br /><br />No complaints other than wanting more power.

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The force stigma is not totally undeserved. They made some decent low buck motors, and they made some real trash. Sometimes in the same motor model due to poor quality control. I had a boat that came with a force 150 on it. It is inline 5 cyl motor. Ran great, very quiet, but lower unit was too small to take a decent dia prop, hence only 13" prop with too high pitch could be used, and this led to problems getting on plane, esp in ocean swells and with heavy load. The motor was also reputed to be overrated on hp, moreso than the 10% allowed. It was reputed to make only 125 hp. I never had mechanical trouble other than a (7yr old) switchbox failing, resulting in a tow. Mechanics told me though that main bearings had history of problems, and that water jacket leakage to cylinders was common problem that couldnt be fixed, it was due to poor design. I never experienced these, but just the same the mechanics said the motor would never be worth rebuilding because of these common problems. I sold my '91 with only ~100 hrs, in showroom condition for $1500.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya Know, Bob....I always thought that the problems people have with force outboards were more a use/abuse thing than lousy product.....people who know care/feeding/operation of an outboard motor do not have the majority of problems...people who recognize that the motor maybe isnt running quite right,or something isnt quite in adjustment....and address the problem promptly instead of just using the boat....force motors are 'old technology' and require ALOT more maintenance than other makes...this is the cost of low initial purchase.....<br />For 15 years people have asked me if Force motors are any good....My answer always has been "they are a good motor for what you pay for them......but there is a reason why they cost so much less..."