Buying and Restoring a Cuddy

TheDevilPup

Cadet
I am looking to buy a cuddy to restore. I've found one cuddy that is basically just the hull with the interior laid out on the side due to a rotten floor for around $900. My question is, how much money would I end up putting into a boat to restore it? And before someone says "just buy a boat that doesn't need restoration," I actually would enjoy restoring it because I'd be able (to an extent) design everything my way.

With that being said, my next question is this: since it's gutted, would I pretty much have control over how I design it as long as I keep it balanced?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Buying and Restoring a Cuddy

If you are restoring to use the boat for at least a couple of years, then go ahead. Understand though the restoration costs are not fixed and you will get what you pay for. However restorations usually cost more than the boat is worth. Also understand that you will NOT recover the cost of restoration when you do go to sell the boat. Restore it strictly for the pleasure you will have in using it.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I can see many thousands of dollars and multiple years of work. What is it powered with? What year is it?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Are you sure that's not an earlier 80s Wellcraft, 25'? I've never seen one like that, but that hull shape looks just like the 255 Suncruisers!

As far as restoring it and how much, I think that's open ended. Depends if it needs stringers, transom, motor work, etc...

TheDevilPup

Cadet

Are you sure that's not an earlier 80s Wellcraft, 25'? I've never seen one like that, but that hull shape looks just like the 255 Suncruisers!

As far as restoring it and how much, I think that's open ended. Depends if it needs stringers, transom, motor work, etc...

I'm not too sure. I just want a cheap 25' boat to restore and it's hard as crap to find large boats. I don't care if it doesn't have an engine or anything because that's something I can buy down the line (I am aware of their costs). Is there anything besides craigslist that can help me find a large boat for cheap?

Maclin

Admiral

That is maybe more of a "pocket" cruiser than a Cuddy, but no matter really as it will give a good experience for what you want.

TheDevilPup

Cadet

I don't know what to call it. Like, I want something with a larger interior than a cuddy. You know your typical cuddy is the hollow-out in the front of the boat that typically is used to store things and sit down. But I'm looking for a boat with a larger interior than that (like an actual living space)... what would those be called?

Maclin

Admiral

Shorter narrow ones that sit tall with the larger cabin and smaller cockpit are Pocket Cruisers. Could also be called Day Cruisers. The one in the pic looks like it has a nice cabin below and a higher helm. It could be either one, or just Cabin Cruiser. I think the size would be more likely to be called the Day Cruiser nowadays. I called them Cabin Cruisers when I was a boy, when all boats like that were "huge".

TheDevilPup

Cadet

Would it be realistic to look for a hull (without engine) for less than $2k on something that large? I am 100% interested in a restoration so I have very little interest in whether or not the boat comes with an engine or in perfect condition.