Chris Craft 1992 207 concept

cmk1524

Recruit
I'm currently helping another couple in search of their first boat.

We recently have checked out a '92 Chris Craft 207 Concept that is listed for $7500 OBO w/ Trailer.

The boat looked very well maintained, with the interior of the boat being near immaculate for the year.

The main concern is that the boat owner stated the lower unit of the engine was replaced 3 years ago, assuming that he went a ground or hit something, however when looking at the under body of the boat there did not appear to be any sign of damage.

We did stop at a Skipper Buds boat retailer on our way home to look at their inventory and when mentioning Chris Crafts to the sales rep he stated that Chris Crafts as a make are 'garbage'. He told them to primarily look only at Sea Ray or Four Winns and having them be 2000 or newer.

My experience, and the feedback I received from my family who are avid boaters (Tiarra owner) stated they believed Chris Crafts are well built boats and maintain their value quite well.

The couple is new to boating and they are looking for a good starter boat. They really did like the boat and were quite interested until they received the feedback from the rep.

They are looking to primarily use the boat for leisure activity on the Milwaukee River (downtown) and within the Harbor on Lake Michigan. They'll also want to use it on some inland lakes as well, with occasional skiing and / or tubing (knowing this boat is not ideal for skiing).

Can anyone please provide more insight on this boat, thoughts on purchasing a starter boat, and Chris Craft as a make.

Thanks much!

More pictures to come once I get them from their camera.

Picture 037.jpgPicture 038.jpgPicture 035.jpgPicture 036.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Chris Craft 1992 207 concept

That vintage of Chris Crafts are not known as particularly well built boats, but as in any make, the care taken of it is often more important then the name plate on the side.

Most concerning regarding that boat is its drive, which is an OMC and obsolete, age (because of what could be lurking under the floor and in the transom), and price, which is anywhere from $2500 to 1500 high in my opinion.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

We love our '91 228 Concept. Being our first boat I have no frame of reference. This is our 5th season. The larger concern would be the OMC motor/drive combo. You need to be fully informed on purchasiing this combination because if it breaks or is bad you will spend alot of money fixing it, if it can be fixed at all. OMC hasn't made drives since the early to mid 90's. Familiarize yourself COMPLETELY with this article . If after you've read the article you still want to purchase this boat go back and tell the owner he has lost his mind if he thinks you'll pay anywhere near $7500 for a boat with an OMC setup.

Now, on to Chris Craft. Our boat has performed well and hasn't required a ton of work. I can't say it's any better or worse than any other brand, except for the drive.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree 7500 is complete fiction, good condition or not. That engine and drive combo is rare and aging, would look elsewhere.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Chris*Craft has had its ups and downs through many different owners of the 'name'. My 1999 24' Express was extremely well built, but C*C's reputation suffered badly in the 80's and early 90's. As spoilsofwar indicated, condition is more important than the decal in a 20 y.o. boat.

I'd also shy away from the OMC package. The issue isn't one of quality or reliability, but of obsolescence- OMC has been out of the market since around 1999. Available parts, and technicians to work on the units are becoming harder to find.

My .02