How do I claim a boat that has been abandoned on our property?

Jhunter24

Recruit
I have a boat that is still in good condition that was left on our property. It has been there for about 14 years now and my son has began to show interest in it. We have no idea who the original owner is and were wondering if we could somehow claim it as abandoned property so we could work on it together, get it up and running and eventually register it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jacq

Cadet
Re: How do I claim a boat that has been abandoned on our property?

I have a boat that is still in good condition that was left on our property. It has been there for about 14 years now and my son has began to show interest in it. We have no idea who the original owner is and were wondering if we could somehow claim it as abandoned property so we could work on it together, get it up and running and eventually register it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jhunter,
We had the exact situation on our up north property, that we visit as often as we can. My son started taking an interest in fishing, and before long asked about the boat that was chained up to our power pole on the waters edge. The vacant property next to us - which was bordering the boat, had no signs of an owner in years and years according to neighbors. So - I told my husband - eh, go for it - fix it up and give it back if anyone comes calling for it.

Wellll, wouldn't you know - after replacing the floats under the seats (that was filled with a colony of ants), resanding/staining the seats, fresh paint on interior and exterior w/ the sand for grip, buying oars....yep, you guessed it - the owner has shown back up! Apparently, he'd been gone for close to 30yrs, now retired and eager to get back up the lake on weekends, he asked if we knew of a boat by the water. My husband felt bad, since the guy seemed nostalgic and we repainted it a different color - but offered back to the owner, and of course, he reclaimed his property. Nice guy, but dang...poor decison on our part. And btw, my son was okay - he understood during the process that the owner could show back up at any time and to give it back.

Bottom line - I guess do what feels ethically right - and be prepared that the owner will probably show up and what it back!:D

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The very first step would be to contact the local DMV and ask.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can reasonably charge a nominal fee for storage on your property. By the end of 14 years that fee plus interest is probably worth the boat. Advertise for the owner to pick up his property and then see if you can claim it as yours against the debt. (Just an idea)

halfmoa

Ensign

I'd say the first step is to have a law enforcement officer come to the property and run the boat's HIN to see if it's stolen...

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

In North Carolina and Illinois, you just need the HIN. The State will do a title search for you and give you the last known address of the previous owner (the address the person lived when it was last registered). You fill out a form asking the PO if they have any interest in the boat and a power of attorney to give you the boat if the answer is no. You send the form to the PO via certified mail. If the letter is returned because the PO is no longer at that address and has no forwarding address, you bring back the letter unopened to the fish and wildlife service, and they determine the boat to be abandoned and will register the boat to you (this is how it has worked for me). If you don't get the letter back, you either hope you get the POA back signed by the PO or wait a designated period of time until the state is satisfied the PO no longer has an interest in the boat.

Good luck.