Automatic and manual aerator switch for livewell.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What do they do? Never had a livewell before. Does automatic cycle on and off? Why would I need the manual option?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Automatic and manual aerator switch for livewell.

If it is like mine then manual is pump running constantly. Use that to fill the tank when you first go out. Automatic is cycle on and off.

Aquaman-PSD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A lot of boats have a timer that goes along with the automatic setting as well. This lets you set the amount of time between cycles.

Automatic mode pumps fresh water into the tank. That keeps the water temperature stable and provides oxygen to keep your fish fresh. As for when to use manual, I don't do it when I first go out because it's just adding unnecessary ballast/weight to the boat. Once/If I catch that first fish, I turn the livewell pump on since it only takes 10-15 seconds to get enough water in there for the fish to breath.

Do be careful about draining your livewell. Some states have rules stating that fish cannot not be transported from a lake in your livewell. Some states also have laws prohibiting you from leaving water in there because of the threat of introducing invasive species into bodies of water.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the tip on waiting to fill it. Also, you are right about transporting live fish. I am aware of that one. Also, I would drain before I leave the lake.