1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Hi eim. Welcome to iboats. Helluva score you found at the scrapyard! Who in the world would do that to such as a sweet boat? Glad you saved her. Only a few rules for tinnies. No Pressure Treated wood. Instead, use non-PT and seal it. Mount all wood with Stainless Steel hardware dipped in a bit if 3M 5200 and/or aluminum pop-rivets. Prime with Zinc Chromate Self-Etching primer, then paint with the color of your choice. Lots of threads here in the forums on how to paint tin boats. Congrats on the new toy! Keep us posted on the progress.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1957 Cadillac Aluminum Boat

Excellent! I just found this thread while googling for info on the boat I picked up at the scrapyard yesterday:

View attachment 148656View attachment 148657View attachment 148658View attachment 148659View attachment 148660

From what I can gather it is a '57 Riviera? - OP, did you confirm yours was a '57 as well?

My plan is to polish it like the OP, but I'm uncertain if the red paint is going back on. My wife and I are discussing powering it with a jet ski conversion to keep the lines really clean (we'd fabricate a rear deck if we go that route.)

OP - did you have to source original replacement parts for yours? If so, would you share your sources? I'm missing a few bits as you can see.

Thanks for starting the thread - your boat is an inspiration - precious little imagery of polished Cadillacs so far on the internet (unless I'm not looking in the right places)

Welcome to iboats.

PLEASE start your own thread and DO NOT hijack someone's older thread. Not considered good practice.

Nice job on the Cadillac...........I'am almost done restoring my 1958 15 footer I will have to post some pictures I have the Tee-Nee trailer done and the boat has a new mercury 4-S 40-hp and new interior and almost ready for new paint. I added a new 20 inch transom and Bimini top. I had a new windshield also made took them 5 months. My boat looks like yours but has a walk-thru divider between the front and back seats. I will post some pictures when finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.