Who Has the Best Boat Insurance?

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm shopping around for boat insurance and I just wanted to ask who ya'll think as the best coverage....

Thanks...

smclear

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who Has the Best Boat Insurance?

What do you mean by best?

Lowest Cost, Most Coverage, or somewhere in-between.

I have State Farm and really couldn't tell you how "good" it is. I've never made a claim against it. I do feel that my rate is both fair and competitive. I have used my insurance on auto claims (also State Farm) and have been extremely satisfied. One call to my agent is all the work I ever need do. My agent takes care of everything.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same answer as smclear, except with seaworthy insurance via geico. I can pay online. I have never spoken to anyone, completely over the internet. As far as claim service, lets hope I never have to find out.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called Geico / Sea Worthy and I really like there rates compared to Progressive.... I also have my auto with State Farm but thy can't insure my boat unless I have my house with them....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

State Farm here also. I am the agent who wrote the policy!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The only way anyone will know is to file a claim......................

cr2k

Captain

Call your agent, that's what you pay him/her for. That's the difference in insurance companies.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

You're in good hands...with Allstate!

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the best rates were from sea tow or boat us.they were about the same and the lowest

204 Escape

Ensign

I have State Farm. I tore up a prop last year. I had no issues with filing/collecting on the claim. My rate is $26.30/month for full coverage.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have State Farm. I tore up a prop last year. I had no issues with filing/collecting on the claim. My rate is $26.30/month for full coverage.

I am with them too for the past 30 years. Had the same agent for most of that till she retired. Now there is a wet behind the ears college boy and all he wants to do is sell life insurance and investments.....customer service stinks. Looks like you had a good adjuster. I have had (the one that retired) my agent discuss my claim with the adjuster to get them to understand that what they teach them in adjuster's school doesn't always work in the real world, especially when you have been a customer for an extended period and have few claims and when you do they are small.

Mark

2300max

Seaman

I've bundled mine, I checked around with other companys and found I got a better rate/price espically with an older boat. Of course, I have my auto's,home and motorhome so you can negotiate a better deal.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had State Farm on my 21 ft 89 Bow rider but when I bought my 24 ft pontoon boat I got such a run around that I bought insurance from BoatUs. State farm says that they have full coverage but Boat US has one better.They cover all damage in a water accident or spill up to $700,000. State farm doesn't even offer this type of insurance.I used to be able to call my State Farm agent and Say that I bought a boat and over the phone it was covered. This last time I was told to take a picture of it and show it to the agent Then he'd cover it. I was 125 miles away when this happened.I called Boat US and spoke to there agent on the phone and he covered it then. The cost between both companies is about the same .

Philster

Captain

I found it is hard to beat Boat US. Even if they are a few bucks more (which they aren't) it's worth it for accessibility to people with brains.

Got it bundled with boat towing and trailer road-side assistance and I love their magazine (bonus. Haha).

Some of the most important things about boat insurance are the details: Oh, let's see here, Mr. Boater... you say your 26' Fountain CC sunk at the dock. Capsized? Oh... well, let me refer you to the language that says we ain't responsible, because we don't like the condition of your thru-hull fittings. Our surveyor/adjuster was there when she was floated upright after sinking. See here on page 345454567968? Yeah... you need to ensure they are in good shape at all times. So, your neglected scuppers failed and your boat sunk because you, sir, are a slacker. How does zero dollars sound as a settlement? Oh, and your lien holder has been notified. You have no boat to back the loan, so now your loan is due in full to your bank.<---true story.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to find which insurance companies are the best, ask the mechanic who will tell you which companies even have an adjuster come out to assess the damage for your claim. I had one marina manager tell me to stay away from a provider because they would allow the marina less than $100 profit for replacing $2800 in parts. He told them to remove the boat and get their own mechanic to work for free. The owner had switched back to his old company and paid the extra $60 per year for the amount he had saved by the online company. It was not worth the $600 extra he had to pay out for coverage missing on the other policy. Make sure your agent knows who you Are. She/he will often go the extra mile to keep good customers.

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll add progressive to my list of "liked" companies, I had a claim just 3 weeks after starting the policy, hit rocks and tore up lower unit, 2 weeks later i am back on the water with a new SEI out drive for just the cost of deducible. And my rates keep going down year after year, it will be 3 years this summer.

I also have my 2 cars insured with them too, never used an auto claim ever (26 yrs old) , so i am glad the price keeps lowering every 6 months

Thalasso

Commander

Like said above in another post, you won't know for sure until you need them. Try N.B.O.A., they are out of Florida and i would think they have alot of knowledge about boat ins. I have mine through them and a gaurenteed $97000.00 for $474 a year with $2000.00 ded.Of course i havn't needed them.Had Nationwide quite a few years back. Sunk a boat in Canada and they didn't want to insure it because they said it was water damage caused by wind. My ins.agent showed me in the language that they were taking part of a sentence and trying to apply it.
They eventually paid.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Like said above in another post, you won't know for sure until you need them. Try N.B.O.A., they are out of Florida and i would think they have alot of knowledge about boat ins. I have mine through them and a gaurenteed $97000.00 for $474 a year with $2000.00 ded.Of course i havn't needed them.Had Nationwide quite a few years back. Sunk a boat in Canada and they didn't want to insure it because they said it was water damage caused by wind. My ins.agent showed me in the language that they were taking part of a sentence and trying to apply it.
They eventually paid.

WOW a $2000 deductible?? NO thanks!

halfmoa

Ensign

My homeowners insurance automatically covers any boat 16 feet or less with an 85hp or less motor with a full liability policy. For 26 bucks a YEAR I got full liability coverage and $5000 comprehensive coverage. Call your homeowners insurance company and ask.

For what it's worth when I combined my home and vehicle insurance with this company it saved me about 20%. Then I added another 25 acres of farm land....then another 7 acres of timber....6 acres of farm ground....a boat....and my rate has BARELY raised. Erie Insurance FTW!