Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,

I got a quick question I just bought a 08 Q4 last weekend and I noticed to while I was cleaing there is a brass plug right beside the regular drain plug. Its on there extremly tight so I didn't force it off. Can anyone tell me whats it for and if i need to keep it off while I store the boat?

Thanks for the help....

I post on the tahoe forum and no one repled :(

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

Here is a couple of pics... thanks for the help

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

UncleWillie

Captain

From the Pix it could be anything.
The obvious question is, What is on the inside of the plug?
Is it just a hole in the transom, or is there a hose connected to it going to somewhere?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

looks like a garboard drain to me...

NYBo

Admiral

Yep, that's a standard garboard plug and fitting. The question remains as to just what it drains. It's too high to be for the bilge (which uses the other drain in the one picture).

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not to sure if I even know what a Garboard Drian is for? :( very new to boating haha

UncleWillie

Captain

Technically, a "Garboard Drain" would be the drain next to the Garboard.
The Garboard (Old Dutch word) is the first hull plank next to the keel on a wooden ship.
Today, the Garboard drain refers to the bilge drain at the bottom center of the transom.

Technically, your Garboard Drain is the Black Plastic drain to the lower right of the brass fitting in the photo.
The Brass fitting that you have is normally sold for use as a Garboard Drain .... But not in this case.
In this case it is just a plugged, fancy Thru Hull Fitting.

All of this is interesting but does not answer the original question, "What is the Brass Fitting for? "

That takes us back to the other un-answered question posed to you ...
"What is on the inside of the Brass Fitting, A hole? A hose to somewhere? WHAT???" :confused:

Answer that question and you will answer the first question. :)

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried to see if there is a hose or anything attached to it, and I am not able to fully get back there. So i'm just not going to worry about haha...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

take the plug out.... pour water into any compartment you think might drain through it.... when you see water you have found it.... My bet is you have a compartment that doubles as a built in cooler

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would but someone said it was a drain for my motor oil, so I don't want oil pouring out. I thought about trying that tho....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well if it IS for draining oil there will be a hose from it to the oil pan and there BETTER be a valve at the pan AND finally, if it were my boat and it WAS for oil, I'd be getting rid of it.

either way, loosen it up and see if oil starts to seep out (I doubt it) or if you find water or air behind it

bellhop

Seaman Apprentice

It is a drain for the engine oil. Loosen the plug, it's attatched to a tether that's attatced to a drain line. Take the cap off the end of the drain line and the engine oil comes out. (Done outside of the boat of course)

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

smokeonthewater... Why would you get rid of it if its for oil?

bellhop... how sure or you its for oil? and is there any reason why I would need to take the plug out?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It for a stern shower. You just didn't get the rest of the option.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

smokeonthewater... Why would you get rid of it if its for oil?

bellhop... how sure or you its for oil? and is there any reason why I would need to take the plug out?

because the ONLY thing I want screwed into the bottom of my oil pan is a plug.... I want it tight and NOT leaking... I don't want any valve that could fail or be opened or a hose that could fail. Further IMHO the ONLY good way to change oil in a boat is by pumping it out through the dipstick.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

So your sure its for a shower? if so where does it drain from?
Hmmmm
images-1.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

well if it IS for draining oil there will be a hose from it to the oil pan and there BETTER be a valve at the pan AND finally, if it were my boat and it WAS for oil, I'd be getting rid of it.

either way, loosen it up and see if oil starts to seep out (I doubt it) or if you find water or air behind it

^This. Open it up and find out. Even if it is oil, loosing a teaspoon of oil isn't going to matter.