How do you stop water from filling up your boat cover?

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: How do you pitch your boat cover to keep water from pooling

This is why I don't use a boat cover and use a heavy duty tarp. The tarp makes snow slide off better, even if its a wet snow, usually all you have to do is shake it a little and the snow will come right off. The boat covers absorb some moisure and like you said makes it sag. Plastic tarps don't expand and don't absorb water. There also not as much of a pain in the butt to install, snap and all that stuff!I would buy a plastic tarp and put it over the boat cover or just use the tarp by its self. I use bungees to hold the tarp tight all the way down to the trailer. And if you buy a tarp , buy the heavy duty silver and brown one from lowes. Best I have found, going on my third season with this one.

If you decide to use your cover, try spraying it with a water repellant.

Johnny Be Cool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A Heavy Duty plastic tarp over the Boat Cover seems to be a good ideal. Criscraft254, your right, the boat cover does absorb some moisture to allow it to dip. I'm now thinking of 2 saw horses at the bow with a 2x4 from the pulpit to the bottom of the windshield.
As for the bridge area, I still like the ideal of using 3/4" pvc lformed in a bow, like they do on greenhouse roofs.

if I tie string to resemble ribs and a use the 2x4 as the spine. My concern now is the weight of ice, water or snow pulling on the bow rails. Also, last winter, water pooled about 40 gallons of water. I was lucky the cover didn't rip.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I go out and clear the snow or ice off of my cover after every snowfall...that will help tremendously to extend the protection and life of your cover. I don't want all of that extra weight transfered to my trailer bunks via the hull either. This is the tool to use to remove the snow...the cheesy handle will break within 30 seconds of use, so , everyone that I know uses the head piece with a wooden broom stick . These work great once you have replaced the handle. It got me through a couple of 24" snow storms last year. :cool:

http://www.snorake.com/

P.S. look closely at the pic of the blonde using it...it has a wooden pole !!!

blmeanie

Cadet
Re: How do you stop water from filling up your boat cover?

I tried PMing this poster, no avail. Anybody know or see what the pvc is held to on the sides? Is it just the pressure of the bent pvc or are they attached to something?

Here is what I used. Some 3/4" PVC and some elbows

DSC00704.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

he has T's on the ends with short sections of pvc sticking out fore and aft.... They are just setting there.

gunsup007

Seaman

I tried PMing this poster, no avail. Anybody know or see what the pvc is held to on the sides? Is it just the pressure of the bent pvc or are they attached to something?

Yes, you are right! Just the pressure of the bent pvc will hold it in place. I use the same type system for my cover, but we are in Texas... Not a lot of snow down here. I don't know how it would hold up with the weight of some snow on top.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Last summer I bailed the water out of my cover many times. And I'm certain it let a lot of water into the boat as I would tip it up and the water would drain out.
My new 22.5 is wrapped and stored inside. I hope to get it inside next winter as well. I can't help but think the cold and wet winter conditions are brutal on the wood in the boat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Just add a valve stem, seal the edges, and inflate the cover.

You must put the plug in for this to work.

:)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

............................................ umm............................ uh...................... BAWHAHAHAHAHA

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

he has T's on the ends with short sections of pvc sticking out fore and aft.... They are just setting there.

X2

I had a similar set up on an older boat I used to have...and since the poles were bowed in they stayed put with little legs like that on a tee.