Free boat! UPDATE!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I've made a couple mentions recently of a free wellcraft center console I knew of.... Well thursday I'm going to pick it up..... we'll see what it turns out to be.... should be a fun little thread to figure out if it's a dream or a nightmare.

the only pics I've seen of it are 5 years old...... more info to come;)

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: FREE BOAT! :screams in terror:

Cool!
Keep us posted!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

:eek: move this one to the dry dock

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:eek: move this one to the dry dock

Might be right to the ramp - after the basics are taken care of. Good luck Smoke!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I gots me fingers CROSSED

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

you never know.... my hull was a freebie and all it needed was a deck.. and an interior but the transom and stringers were solid.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not much better than a free car, truck or boat...
Hope its a winner......:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's a wellcraft, and an old one, so that is a positive. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be a salt water boat. All I hear around here is rot rot rot which in all my boating years is a seldom if ever an issue for us salties. granted our wiring may be shot and bolts frozen, but our hulls are pickled!

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

it's a wellcraft, and an old one, so that is a positive. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be a salt water boat. All I hear around here is rot rot rot which in all my boating years is a seldom if ever an issue for us salties. granted our wiring may be shot and bolts frozen, but our hulls are pickled!

could have fooled me. most boats that sit in my area end up with leaves clogging the transom drain and THEN they fill with water and sit. and sit. and sit. and rot.

so then you have rot, frozen bolts, bad wiring oh my!

lol

SDSeville

Lieutenant

So, if your transom and stringers are water-logged with salt water they will not rot?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Depends on how many reeevets it has LOL

salt kills the fungus that causes rot.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

could have fooled me. most boats that sit in my area end up with leaves clogging the transom drain and THEN they fill with water and sit. and sit. and sit. and rot.

so then you have rot, frozen bolts, bad wiring oh my!

lol

true dat--they are victims of "sweet water" as it is known to wooden boat builders. A boat filled with rain water for years is dead meat. And we have our share of derelicts like that. There's a 25' cruiser that was knocked crooked on a lift about 6 years ago in a storm so it still sits, crooked and bow down, door open, so you know it's a swamp. But no problem from normal use.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I GOT IT!

Well I picked her up today.... P/O was great (also a member here and may check in) She definitely needs some love but is a REAL solid starting point... He moved her here from I think he said Maine where he had used her mostly in salt.... There is no wiring of any kind but that is no biggy for me. The boat is rated for 225 hp and I have a line on a 115 tower o power. P/O said she would do 52 mph on gps with a 200 so I figure even the 115 should get her up and running although she'd be a bit of a pig..... I DO have a fellow in mind that may trade me a 175 for the 115 so that's another thought...... OR how bout twin 115's ... now THAT could be fun.... 60 mph?

This is a BIG 20' boat... I'm very impressed with the layout and the hull.... With her wide hips, she will be a very dry ride.... soft too.

He nearly finished his project but had to bail on it.... She has all new guts... new stringers glassed (very nice work I might add) with epoxy and a new marine plywood floor glassed top and bottom with polyester resin.... She has had her topsides painted at some point and the paint isn't in good condition so a thorough sanding and a fancy shmancy interlux job is in her future. He threw in a couple batteries (may still be good?) and what looks to be a very nice bimini top. The console is in place and the cushions to the front seat are there.... the windshield was included and in good shape..... looks like there is some missing railing for the console but not sure how much yet. There is various hardware missing but I have a donor boat for lots of stuff

I'm pissed as heck tho at my self for giving away a real nice top mount throttle/shifter a few months back.... sure could use that now.... eh mebbe karma will provide.. (hint hint) ;D

I'll have more info and pics in the next few days but here are a couple teasers.
jjj 002.jpgjjj 001.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

BTW don't you DARE laugh at my "trailer" lights:eek:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

free boat?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

run away luke...........run away !

lol
looks great smoke.
congrats

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What trailer lights? All I see are console lights. Red ones too, perfect for night running. Is it a good sign that you stopped to fill her with fuel? She doesn't look too bad in the pics, but I guess you aren't headed to the ramp - Yet.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

BTW don't you DARE laugh at my "trailer" lights:eek:

Looks like you found a WINNER as far as a free boat goes... Congrats :)

Your safety practices as far as trailer lights leaves a little to be desired.:p

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

What trailer lights? All I see are console lights. Red ones too, perfect for night running. Is it a good sign that you stopped to fill her with fuel? She doesn't look too bad in the pics, but I guess you aren't headed to the ramp - Yet.
Already been to the ramp.... thas how we got her on the trailer (boat was free but he wants $750 for his trailer).... long rope, yank and then winch her.... she almost didn't leak with a wine cork for a bilge plug ;D
I had to fill my bud's truck w gas and I had him pull up for a quick photo shoot for the iboats gang in the lights.

The plan on the lights was to put em on the gunwales but the boat had a wee bit too much beam so they went on the console.....