Free boat! UPDATE!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Free boat! UPDATE!

I sold the CMC trim unit from the parts boat on ebay.... My current total investment in this project including the fuel to retrieve both boats and the second engine is, get this, NEGATIVE $96.00!

Wish it was always this easy!

We have a new bottom feeder leader! Congrats smoke!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I sold the CMC trim unit from the parts boat on ebay.... My current total investment in this project including the fuel to retrieve both boats and the second engine is, get this, NEGATIVE $96.00!

Wish it was always this easy!

Life ain't fair :p

Jeep Man

Commander

lol..... I can't believe nobody has suggested the obvious machining an adapter and wet exhaust manifolds to connect the powerheads one on top of the other with one big sheet metal band that covered both to look factory.... an inline 12..... YEAH BUDDY..... think the lower unit would like that ?!

Do ya wanna fish.......or boil water? lol

sschefer

Rear Admiral

lol..... I can't believe nobody has suggested the obvious machining an adapter and wet exhaust manifolds to connect the powerheads one on top of the other with one big sheet metal band that covered both to look factory.... an inline 12..... YEAH BUDDY..... think the lower unit would like that ?!

Smoke, I think you'd need to add some weight to the lower to act as a counter balance otherwise the prop walk might flip you over. A twin shaft sporty should handle the torque... But seriously... are you outaa your freakin mind...ROFLOL...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

But seriously... are you outaa your freakin mind...ROFLOL...
Ray Anderson of Anderson Marine in the early 1970's ran twin 115 Merc's on single adapter plate with driveshaft driven by a large cog belt at the unlimited boat races in Soddy Daisy ,Tn.:eek: The lower unit was a CCW speedmaster and outran just about eveything there except the V-8 F1's. The lower took a dump and a stock speedmaster unit installed, the boat would not turn left so he would cut a 'hairpin" at end of strech turning right the rest of the race.:D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Smoke, ............. are you outaa your freakin mind...ROFLOL...

I don't suffer from insanity..... I enjoy every minute.

Fazt,
Very interesting.... I was thinking a bravo 3 lower would be a nice touch

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The most memorable boat I have seen was in the early 80's. Had a old fellow bring in a 16ft boat with the Mercrusier 80 drive and Renault engine. The engine was toast and parts are like hens teeth,scare for these. I explained the problem and he said he hated to junk a nice little boat as it was in good shape. Jump forward to end of summer: Fellow brings boat back in to show off his "ingenuity" .He has installed a Datsun Z24 with transmission and radiator in center of boat ,coupler & u-joints to input shaft of outdrive,electric fan and floor shifter as he could shift gears going down lake!!! Told us it would fly in 5th gear!!!!

Dave9111

Recruit

Smoke,

I think I saw that you mentioned that you have replaced ribs in large fiberglass boat.

How hard do you think that would be to do in a 30 twin inboard boat? I think there is space to work under the floor.

Is that a one week job, two or ??

Assuming that all of the tools are available.

How do you like the boat hauling business? It always seemed to me that could be a good business.

Pretty seasonal, but probably profitable if done right.

Do you use your dually, or do you use a semi tractor?

Any idea what the going rate is to haul a 34 foot fin keel sailboat 600 miles?

There are some cheap boats around, but as you know they need work!

Dave

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well I have neglected to share a little update... I picked up a new open box teleflex top mount control for $100 out the door. I keep forgetting to snap a pic but I DO plan to.

I got it hooked up and mounted... the throw on the throttle is just a bit short so I'm gonna have to extend it just a bit but no biggy

GA_Boater

Good find, smoke. So your grand total to date is $4? Watch out, you're going to need a second mortgage soon. :p

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Good find, smoke. So your grand total to date is $4? Watch out, you're going to need a second mortgage soon. :p

WHOOPS! I forgot to mention that I sold the trailer from the parts boat for $250!

My current investment is negative $246:D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

winner winner chicken dinner!

Well I cinched the deal today... picked some old pos boat with a 21' full roller shore line trailer for $100!

Negative $146 for boat motor and trailer...

This boat has some decent looking gauges in the dash and some rocker switches too....

I'm gonna try to give the boat away but even if I have to pay to dump it I'll still be at negative $100trailer.jpg

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Sweet Deal, nice find!!

So, you going to be shrink wrapping these boats soon? I am anxious to hear what you learn through the process.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

funds have been too tight to buy the shrink wrap. I still hope to tho. It hasn't snowed here yet but it's bound to soon.

Update: I paid $30 today to drop the junk boat off at the landfill..... Always cool (but kinda sad) to watch a D-8 obliterate a fiberglass boat in seconds. I Also forgot to mention $12 spent for 4 stainless bimini mounts. Current investment negative $104

GA_Boater

No takers on the give away, smoke? $30 gone in 10 seconds. At least you're still running on the + side of the ledger.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

As I looked into it closer, the stringers were rotten.... I trashed it because I felt like giving it away would just set someone up for failure and I couldn't, in good faith, pass my trash off on someone else.