Free boat! UPDATE!

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: FREE BOAT!

That's a sweet setup! The only fly in the ointment is obviously the out of place ladder hanging off the transom on what has to be a serious fishing rig... let me know when I can help out by taking it off your hands, eh? ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

lol... I'm open to other options that would make it easier to climb in..... Sure is pretty tho huh?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

UPDATE! I glassed the transom cap and the holes in the transom from the old outboard and transducer.

I got the outboard all put back together with oem power tilt and trim. I put the engine back on, mounted and plumbed the trim pump, ran a wiring harness from the dash that will hook to the lights, horn, and fuel sender. I also ran the engine and trim wiring up to the helm.

Yesterday, I took her to the car wash for a good bath and then mixed a couple gallons of gas/oil and headed to the river to run it on the trailer for a few. Temptation got the better of me and after about 15 minutes or so I backed it off..... IMMEDIATELY I remembered that the thru-hull for the front fish box drain was broken off and zipped back on the trailer... shall we say DOH!.. After getting over feeling stupid I started rummaging around and found a suitable repair and again backed her off for a very brief sea trial.

Eased away from the ramp and gave her full juice... the trim was too high and she just blew a hole in the water so I backed off and grabbed the wires for the trim.... touched red to green for a second and tried her again.... this time she roared to life and jumped on plane almost instantly.... I only ran it a few seconds and turned around. I put it back on the trailer and headed home feeling VERY pleased. There is still plenty of little things to do but all in all from free boat to successful sea trial in 7 days and $120 is IMHO a major success.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

UPDATE! I glassed the transom cap and the holes in the transom from the old outboard and transducer.

I got the outboard all put back together with oem power tilt and trim. I put the engine back on, mounted and plumbed the trim pump, ran a wiring harness from the dash that will hook to the lights, horn, and fuel sender. I also ran the engine and trim wiring up to the helm.

Yesterday, I took her to the car wash for a good bath and then mixed a couple gallons of gas/oil and headed to the river to run it on the trailer for a few. Temptation got the better of me and after about 15 minutes or so I backed it off..... IMMEDIATELY I remembered that the thru-hull for the front fish box drain was broken off and zipped back on the trailer... shall we say DOH!.. After getting over feeling stupid I started rummaging around and found a suitable repair and again backed her off for a very brief sea trial.

Eased away from the ramp and gave her full juice... the trim was too high and she just blew a hole in the water so I backed off and grabbed the wires for the trim.... touched red to green for a second and tried her again.... this time she roared to life and jumped on plane almost instantly.... I only ran it a few seconds and turned around. I put it back on the trailer and headed home feeling VERY pleased. There is still plenty of little things to do but all in all from free boat to successful sea trial in 7 days and $120 is IMHO a major success.

Like I said before.. you're neglecting your duty. Standing water and moisture are your friend :p

Glad to hear it worked out so well, that's going to be a badass boat when you're done with it. What do you see yourself doing to her?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well being that I really am crazy I've had all sorts of hair brained ideas all the way to full canvas, genny and a/c but realistically just keep fixing it up and maybe a slick paint job.... I haven't ruled out running twin 115's at some point but as well as it ran yesterday I doubt I'll need more power.... I'm thinking that I'd like a trolling motor setup of some sort and a fishing seat up front.... maybe troll'n'tabs at some point... maybe a kicker .... It has a bimini on it now but I'd love a T top .....I dunno.... I'm a MESS with all sorts of ideas. LOL

EDIT: I'm also planning on a bow pulpit and a windlass or anchor winch eventually... I already have a rail section for the pulpit and a remote controlled spotlight in my parts stash.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a great score! Looks like you're going to have all sorts of fun!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

well being that I really am crazy I've had all sorts of hair brained ideas all the way to full canvas, genny and a/c but realistically just keep fixing it up and maybe a slick paint job.... I haven't ruled out running twin 115's at some point but as well as it ran yesterday I doubt I'll need more power.... I'm thinking that I'd like a trolling motor setup of some sort and a fishing seat up front.... maybe troll'n'tabs at some point... maybe a kicker .... It has a bimini on it now but I'd love a T top .....I dunno.... I'm a MESS with all sorts of ideas. LOL

EDIT: I'm also planning on a bow pulpit and a windlass or anchor winch eventually... I already have a rail section for the pulpit and a remote controlled spotlight in my parts stash.

Smoke - If you would spend more $$$ on a new boat you wouldn't have these thoughts. :rolleyes: You done good, buddy. Real good!

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Re: Free boat! UPDATE!

Great find Smoke!! Definitely one of the better "Free Boat" stories.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

So... you've got what appears to be operational twin 115 Mercs and you haven't decided to bolt both​ of them to the transom?!?!?!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'd need to come up with at least another trim/tilt system, a wiring harness and a distributor, along with correct props.... Would basically require another parts engine.... Gonna stick w single for now but twins are a possibility one day....

It WOULD be really cool though!

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd need to come up with at least another trim/tilt system, a wiring harness and a distributor, along with correct props.... Would basically require another parts engine.... Gonna stick w single for now but twins are a possibility one day....

It WOULD be really cool though!

I don't see anywhere in there where you say it will require a new powerhead or lower unit! The rest are mere details. :D I have faith in you and foresee many hours spent scouring craigslist/ebay/want ads/vans in shady neighborhoods. (ok maybe not the last one.)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

lol..... I can't believe nobody has suggested the obvious machining an adapter and wet exhaust manifolds to connect the powerheads one on top of the other with one big sheet metal band that covered both to look factory.... an inline 12..... YEAH BUDDY..... think the lower unit would like that ?!

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like a good idea it will keep the tinny guys happy if you use reevits and the lower unit oh yeah just use some good synthetic oil :p

chriscraft254

Commander

Unless your planning on trailering that thing to go offshore, no real reason for twins on that boat around here. Smoke, if you need a buddy boat next time you sea trial, let me know. Gotta be soon though, because I will be winterizing this coming week. How are the decks/stringers in that boat? Also you should know, pics are required on all work done to your vessels! ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the deck and stringers were replaced by the P/O and he never finished the refit.... He did a really good job on em too...... he even sealed the drain holes through the stringers

I doubt that I'll put her in the water again this year BUT I'll keep that in mind if I do .... THANKS

V153

Lieutenant Commander

The V20 is a great hull, very dry. Still extremely popular with hardcore fishermen, down here at least. And they don't hesitate to take 'em out in the Gulf.

Far as canvas goes biminis are great for shade but a pita to fish around. But you already know that. Just the nature of the beast. 'Lil pricey I realize but a T-top is still the only way to go for chasing a fish 'round the boat.

Btw if you get into any snotty stuff those boats lend themselves well to a dodger, aka spray hood. Particularly because of the high combing. Makes it easier to build a nice watertight dodger.

You might find yourself wanting a lil more hp but hey I'd go ahead and run it with the 115?

Great find! Good luck.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I sold the CMC trim unit from the parts boat on ebay.... My current total investment in this project including the fuel to retrieve both boats and the second engine is, get this, NEGATIVE $96.00!

Wish it was always this easy!

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sold the CMC trim unit from the parts boat on ebay.... My current total investment in this project including the fuel to retrieve both boats and the second engine is, get this, NEGATIVE $96.00!

Wish it was always this easy!

So.... ends up you were paid to have this fine specimen?! How awesome! Good for you Smoke!