What is the anchor rope "deck hole cover" called?

skim61

Seaman Apprentice
What is that metal part with a cap that goes over the anchor rope hole in the deck? I can't seem to find it in boat catalogs, but I know I've seen it before.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the anchor rope "deck hole cover" called?

hawse pipe?

tpenfield

Staff member

deck pipe

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Actually the correct one is deck pipe, as I found out a hawse pipe is for gunwale or vertical use.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Noone knows what's correct because the question was unintelligable. There is no such thing as an anchor rope. At least not on a boat!

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I look at the stuff on my boat that looks like rope.... I call it rope. :D

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Well...
"Rope, called line when used aboard boats, is essential to outfitting your boat properly. When you shop for boating supplies and accessories, line should be at the top of your list. You will use it to tie your boat to the dock, to attach your anchor to keep your boat from drifting, to tie protective fenders when you are moored, and many more uses which include, but are not limited to, knot tying, splicing and more.

There are many different types and sizes of lines to match its many uses. Line is classified by whether it is natural or synthetic, it's construction and size. Each type of line excels at different uses aboard a boat."

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So,is the next subject the difference between Wake and Wash? :rolleyes:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

So,is the next subject the difference between Wake and Wash? :rolleyes:
no that one is on the taboo list

the next discussion is the difference between propellers and wheels lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Wake, wash, props and wheels all have a place in a boat discussion. Rope is only used to tie up a dog.

Now....let's talk about bumpers and buoys. You know, those rubber thingys that you hang over the gunwale (er gunnel) so you don't hit the dock.

It's good to see everyone still has their crazy edge around here. :D

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

hmmm... and what do you call the nut that holds the wheel? Pilot?

ziggy

Admiral

i can't answer the op's question. but as to rope or line. for a boat, the way i get it is. rope is static and not doing anything but sitting waiting to be used to do some work, line is doing some work. rode is anchor line.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Just be certain that when you install the deck pipe, you have it aligned with the "rope" hole facing to the stern so any water that washes over the deck will not enter and go below. also, seal the deck pipe to the deck with 5200 or silicone seal etc.

And be certain you get a deck pipe big enough to pass either the splice thimble in the rope end or the anchor chain fasteners, whichever is larger.

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

LOL, you guys are awesome. Sorry for the "rope" mistake. Please don't keel-haul me!

BTW - thanks to all of you I was able to find the part I needed, an oval covered deck pipe. Right now my newly acquired boat only has an unevenly cut hole in the deck. Funny for a Chris-Craft, I don't think it came from the factory that way!

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well...
"Rope, called line when used aboard boats, is essential to outfitting your boat properly. When you shop for boating supplies and accessories, line should be at the top of your list. You will use it to tie your boat to the dock, to attach your anchor to keep your boat from drifting, to tie protective fenders when you are moored, and many more uses which include, but are not limited to, knot tying, splicing and more.

There are many different types and sizes of lines to match its many uses. Line is classified by whether it is natural or synthetic, it's construction and size. Each type of line excels at different uses aboard a boat."

Well, when you're broke down in the middle of nowhere and you need a tow in, I bet my ROPE will tow you in just fine. I'm 45 and have been around boats my entire life. I was a firefighter/paramedic for 12 years, so I know more about knots, lines and ropes than most, as I'm also qualified in high angle rescue (or was) SO, if I call an actual line a rope forgive me for being a hick from Northern Minnesota, who doesn't get hung up on proper names or terms.;)

See you on the Lake

Joe

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you know..... I think the O/P DID come up with a use for rope on a boat..... You could use it to lash the hands and feet of the poor guy getting keel hauled to the line that will drag him under.... mebbe.....

Joe, everyone knows that a mariner who uses the proper term for everything never breaks down LOL

All this stuff is JUST for fun..... don't let it get ya ruffled :D

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Was just browsing the CL ads. One I need to look at for sure......

The ad stated that the boat came with a moter and trailor, and had all equipment including roaps and bumpers. The only thing it didnt have was paperwork.....LOL.