What is the anchor rope "deck hole cover" called?

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What is the anchor rope "deck hole cover" called?

HA this is an awesome thread!!

When I first picked up my boat, I told my friend who by the way doesn't have a boat to "Get those rubber thingys up onto the deck, He said they are called Fenders.." Then I told him to make sure that the rope is tight on the dock... he said it's called line".... My last statement to him was Why the heck don't you own a boat and maybe you should go buy one..
END of conversation.... :facepalm: LOL- Needless to say I have learned a lot of terms over the last couple of months.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I had always described it this way: Rope is rope until it is actually tied to something, then it is a line. A line is a working hand-held tool. A rode is a line attached to an anchor.

And I hate fenders being called bumpers...:mad: (See that? That's my angry face...)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And they are called fenders because you use them to fend the boat off the dock. See there is a logical reason for the language. Just as Key West is not named because it is the most Westerly key. It is from the Spanish who found lots of bones on the island hence the corruption of Cayo (island) to Key and Hueso (bones) to West. Cayo Hueso--Key West. And the Grand Tetons are named because to the early explorers they looked like big (grande) womens t*ts (Tetons) --Not a lot of people know that!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

And the Grand Tetons are named because to the early explorers they looked like big (grande) womens t*ts (Tetons) --Not a lot of people know that!

Maybe that explains the Grand Canyon...:rolleyes: :D

kemer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And I hate fenders being called bumpers...:mad: (See that? That's my angry face...)

LOL, my wife calls em bumpers just to tick me off. We go through a couple minutes of Fenders...Bumpers...Fenders....Bumpers
etc. Dang Woman!

And the Grand Tetons are named because to the early explorers they looked like big (grande) womens t*ts (Tetons) --Not a lot of people know that!

Now that one made me laugh my butt off. Too funny.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

Question how many ropes on a boat.

Answer 1

if you call the rope on my bell a line your silly.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Here,on what we call the dirty side of the river (Ky) far too many people call em finders or bumbers.... My friend's wife calls em buoys just to annoy me.... me and my friend always tell her that SHE has the buoys LOL

sschefer

Rear Admiral

LOL, this is a fun thread.... Actually the term rope is correct for an anchor but you can also call it a rode. It can be all rope or combined with a chain to prevent chaffing on rocks near he anchor. The term line refers to a rope doing work such as a mooring line or a working line used to control movement of objects on deck, etc.

The op is looking for a deck pipe that would lead to a chain locker below deck. The hawse pipe would lead to a hawse if the boat has one. Hard to tell for sure but it looks like smokeonthewaters sig boat has one up at the pulpit.

And finally here's a link that might help a little http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/34.htm

cribber

Lieutenant

While looking for the rope did we find the prop wash?? :D:D:D

sschefer

Rear Admiral

While looking for the rope did we find the prop wash?? :D:D:D

Yep, West Marine has it. 39.99 a quart but take 300.00 with you because you never get out of there or Costco for anything less.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

in the picture it has a spotlight on the pulpit.... there is also an anchor roller in the center of the pulpit (of course).... Now it has a plow anchor and a windlass on the bow in the place where it once (before I owned it) had a deck pipe.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Question how many ropes on a boat.

Answer 1

if you call the rope on my bell a line your silly.

Actually, I believe that's called a 'pudding' :D

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I always thought buoys were the floaty thingies that came in red and green and a few other colours that marked where the rocks or no-wake zones are. Or are those boooeeeees? :D

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like we ain't all the same. Folks 'round here use a ski rope to pull skiiers and a fishing line to catch fish.... Fenders or bumpers depends on which Walmart you shop at.... Actually, I would think that fenders are the protective devices which somewhat conform to the "gunnels" of the boat and bumpers are those hot dog shaped thingys that folks hang over the side of their boats with ROPES (or a big ol' strang)... hehehe, LOL

sschefer

Rear Admiral

in the picture it has a spotlight on the pulpit.... there is also an anchor roller in the center of the pulpit (of course).... Now it has a plow anchor and a windlass on the bow in the place where it once (before I owned it) had a deck pipe.

Thought something like that... sure glad you didn't call that windlass a winch or a capstan... I'd have been all over you for that..... ROFLOL...

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like we ain't all the same. Folks 'round here use a ski rope to pull skiiers and a fishing line to catch fish.... Fenders or bumpers depends on which Walmart you shop at.... Actually, I would think that fenders are the protective devices which somewhat conform to the "gunnels" of the boat and bumpers are those hot dog shaped thingys that folks hang over the side of their boats with ROPES (or a big ol' strang)... hehehe, LOL
Exactly.....Heaven forbid you call a ski rope a "ski line" round these parts.....you might just get run out of town on a rail, or should I say track. lol :D

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, is that a Washboard that you pull with a ski line? Believe it or not acording to the Canadian power boat operators exam that everyone must take, that board you pull rides the Wash.:D

tallwill38

Cadet

Ahh... LOL don't forget the different parts of a line. The standing end and the working end etc.. Just normal Boy Scout terminology. Also sometimes even though I know better still say I have to replace the floor in my boat when we all know its called a deck LOL And the Ceiling is the Overhead A wall is a Bulkhead a toilet is a Head LMAO Only in America, we drive on Parkways and Park on Driveways Why is it a motor if its in a boat and an engine if its in a car ect..if its electric its a motor for sure? If its a turbine its called an engine.Can someone sort all this out for us i'm confused. Remember a U.F.O is not the same as a flying saucer and the flying saucers are not always U.F.O.'s Not all space ships contain aliens some do, depends on the nationality of the astronauts LOL.Keep it coming guys those Tetons are Grande :D:eek:

skim61

Seaman Apprentice

OK, since we're getting off topic, here's one that most people don't know and I hope it doesn't get flagged. I'll keep this as discreet as possible.

Fornication Under the Consent of the King

The right given to those knighted by the King in medieval times to have relations outside of a marriage. Now shortened to an acronym or word commonly used whether married or not as a slang for just about everything! (check the capital letters)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

OK, since we're getting off topic, here's one that most people don't know and I hope it doesn't get flagged. I'll keep this as discreet as possible.

Fornication Under the Consent of the King

The right given to those knighted by the King in medieval times to have relations outside of a marriage. Now shortened to an acronym or word commonly used whether married or not as a slang for just about everything! (check the capital letters)

False etymology. See snopes, wiki, or just about any other verification source. I like it though.