Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
This is our first time with a built-in gas tank and I'm wondering what is the best way to store it for our long Maine winter: full, empty, or in between?? Thanks,
John

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

I was always taught to filler up...less condensation that way. Make sure you put Stabil or Seafoam in the gas to keep it fresh. Ensure it's in your whole fuel system. Opinions on this will vary, trust me, but that's how I've always done it with no problems.

See you on the lake

Joe

speedgater

Seaman Apprentice

Fill it up an use stabil in the fuel the run your engine just long enough to run the fuel-stabil mix through your fuel pump and fuel lines.

Fed

Commander

Empty that way you start off with fresh fuel next time.
Do you get condensation in your car fuel tank if it's not full?
Opinions on this will vary, trust me, but that's how I've always done it with no problems.
Popcorn anyone?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

no easier way to start a holy war than 'empty or full gastank'!

In all honesty neither method is more right than the other. I personally get it as low as possible. Even with stabil, gas can go bad. The less that is the tank, the better, as I can just mix in new stuff in the spring.

I CAN say from years of experience, snowmobile gas tanks are absolutely always empty. Because they are stored during the summer, the reactions that happen to cause gas to go bad are sped up. Even with stabil, the stuff left in the tank by the next winter is generally bad. Carbs are usually removed and cleaned yearly on snowmobiles. Boats aren't as affected because of temperatures during storage.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

here we go.....full......the condensation in the tank will collect.....i have heard the myth that tanks will not get water in them thru condensation.....but its not true....just ask a pilot. they actually have a tool for checking if there is condensation in the fuel tanks. ....and yes....water does get in there.

dont forget the stabil

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just ask a pilot. they actually have a tool for checking if there is condensation in the fuel tanks.

You think a pilot would actually use it??? they never do... they dont want to get all smelly ;)

Fed

Commander

Quick, someone call Mythbusters!

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

I'm staying out of this one. Been there done that. This is one step short of starting an ethanol debate.:cool:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yep store it full OR empty..... either will work..... half full is begging for condensation tho

An empty tank will get condensation in it when temps fall but it will just evaporate when they rise..... the partial tank tho traps the condensation under the gas and keeps it from evaporating..... thus it builds up

americaneagler77

Petty Officer 1st Class

i store my sleds full, and start them monthly, never had a problem. only cleaned the carbs once in 8k miles (4 seasons) and they werent dirty.............boats with an inboard tank i also store full, stabilized, never had an issue.
ive had a tougher time starting a sled that was left dry all summer then one left full. never had a fuel issue.

chriscraft254

Commander

I leave mine full, in my mind it is better than leaving more space for moisture/condensation to accumulate. I do try and get it really full so there is very little room for condensation. Stabil or Seafoam as already mentioned. Plus gas next year will probably be more expensive!;)

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What ever is in it at the end of the season is how it is stored, lawn mower, snow blower, boat , powersaw, whatever, I never use stabilizer and have had no problems, been doing it this way for over 40 years.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've always stored everything full, with Seafoam added. Maybe right, maybe wrong - works for me.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

You think a pilot would actually use it??? they never do... they dont want to get all smelly ;)

I'm a Commercial pilot, been flying for a living for years and I check the fuel tanks for water before the first flight of the day and after each fuel stop. Yes, water DOES get into the fuel tanks through condensation......this is a fact and not really a debatable topic....it happens and will continue to happen.

With that said, the ethanol based fuels do break down sooner than the "real gas" did prior to the introduction of ethanol. At one time I stored my fuel tanks full of fuel....however I've changed my practices since the introduction of ethanol....I now drain the tanks as low as I can get them and then put in some seafoam / stabil and call it good.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Always stored witha 1/4 to 1/2 tank with stabil, hasnt been a problem for the past 5 years. Aint a lot of condensation in the fall, winter and early spring anyways in the North. Filler up in the spring, change water seperator and go boating.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I store mine full with plenty of Marine Sta-bil. It's always a bonus to have have a full tank in the spring, and, if there's ever a long power outage during the winter I have 70 gallons of fuel for the generator.

kylejb2663

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here we go.....full......the condensation in the tank will collect.....i have heard the myth that tanks will not get water in them thru condensation.....but its not true....just ask a pilot. they actually have a tool for checking if there is condensation in the fuel tanks. ....and yes....water does get in there.

dont forget the stabil

I'll Agree with you Oops! I am a private pilot (in training), I have about 35 hours under my belt.

We ALWAYS check both gas tanks to make sure we do not see water in the tanks and it has happened before!! It's part of a preflight checklist that you learn to love because it saves your @$$. Tanks are both full and you still get condensation...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I store empty. Never had condensation issues. Never any water in the water filter either.

Regarding airplane tanks, yes they do get condensation, but that is due to the quick changes in altitude, air density, temperature and humidity that they experience. Boats don't do that.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It's a controversial subject for sure. Comparing it to an automotive fuel tank is not correct since automotive fuel tanks (since the introduction of Ethanol) are pressurized to keep condensation out. I boat all year round but there are months when nasty weather takes the fun out of it so mine can sit for a month at a time. I have a Perco vented fuel cap that does a very good job at keeping moisture out and I keep my tank full during the winter months. I always store my boat inside and use recommended amounts of Stabil Marine additive with every fill up. If you have standard fuel vent, some folks say that taping it off during storage keeps the moisture out but on other boats, I lengthened the vent hose and put a loop in it so that it acts like a P-Trap when the tank is full. As the tank level drops the trap opens up. I never had any problems with fuel flow but some might be leary of that and I can see why. Like I say, it didn't effect my engines need for fuel.

Just my .02