Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

Fed

Commander
Re: Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

However, in New Orleans the temp will drop to 68. The dewpoint is 70. Every surface (car windshields, gas tanks, whatever) that drops below 70 will have condensation form on it.
But will these car windshields get condensation on the inside, I think not, well not until you start heavy breathing in there but that doesn't count.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

But will these car windshields get condensation on the inside, I think not, well not until you start heavy breathing in there but that doesn't count.

That makes my entire high school 'career' worthless....!

All kidding aside...why wouldn't Mercruiser's advisement be the 'answer'? Who would know best as to what our marine engines need (post #29)?

Happy (ethanol free) boating!

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

People spend way too much time worrying about fuel storage. I think this is an extension of the irrational hysteria that grips some people when it comes to ethanol in gasoline.

The bottom line is for normal winter storage times it hardly matters. Adding Stabil can't hurt and neither can filling the tank, but not filling the tank will not result in certain engine death from condensation in the fuel.

The only catch is this: As long as the fuel in the tank was not contaminated already. I always fill my boat at the same very busy gas station where I know they they frequently turn over the fuel supply on an almost daily basis. Therefore, I know the fuel is fresh going into my tank.

Do whatever makes you feel better.

Grouse

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I add stabil all summer long, and when winterizing comes I just add more with whatever amount of gas is in there. last year was 1/2 tank and the year before was 3/4. No starting problems or carbs to clean or anything,

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The boat , extra cars, snowmobiles, snowblower and jetski all get parked with whatever gas is in them. No stabil or any other snake oil. Gas just isn't that sensative to being stored for 6-8 months. Then when it is time to un store them, they get started up and driven. Once every few years the snowmobile carbs need to be removed and cleaned at the start of the season.

This proves a point. This guy is in Minnesota, and his method works in Minnesota. It will not work in coastal Virginia. Advice on this topic is not "one size fits all" any more than we can advise each other about whether to buy a snow shovel.

tpenfield

Staff member

MT (empty)

Full is old school when gas prices were under $1.00

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

MT (empty)

Full is old school when gas prices were under $1.00

That's odd! Seems like a full tank is money in the bank. When it's $4.50 next Spring you will have saved money.

crvantreese

Cadet

Move down here to Florida and you wont have to worry about any of that stuff because you will always be putting new gas it execpt for the 2 or 3 days of winter we have:cool:

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm in Maine as well and I store empty, always have and never once had an issue.

My thoughts are that with the fuels of today that I would rather start my season with fresh fuel. On the way to the boat launch I will fill the tank, last ride of the season I will add startron and run it nearly dry.