homemade hydrofoil ?

Danimal1706

Cadet
After reading the discussions sometime's disputes in the old forums over hyrofoil's and "smart"tabs ive come to the the conclussion that tabs probably are the better device BUT i dont have the peso's for either.<br /> SO I was thinking can I make my own? now both seem simple acually but one more than the other guess which one ha! ha! anyway does anyone know where I could get info dimensions & what not, I figured I would make it out of plate steel should I bend the edge down like the picture's in the mags show or what?<br /> It seems like it would be easy but if it was there probably wouldn't be a market for them, but I figure if some guy in the past forums can make stationary smarttabs out of redwood shingles I can make a foil what do you guys think. :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: homemade hydrofoil ?

Howdy Danimal.<br /><br />Yup. They "seem" simple enough. That is very a very deceiving perception.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes and No, <br /><br />I've had both, A hydrofoil, doeilfin or whatever brand you want to call them are designed like an aircraft wing, not just a piece of sheet metal (it is an aerofoil, the bottom is flat, top is curved and the water passing over the top take longer to pass thean the bottom, hence lift)this force is applied to the motor, which is connected to the boat which raises the stern, thus lowering the bow. Tabs either hydraulic or "smart" are designed as an extension of the hull and deflect the passage of water as it passes the transom of the boat. Two different principles, but a somewhat vaguely similar affect in the long run. Some will argue the fins put stress on the motor that tabs do not. If you look at a "tab" they are flat both bottom and top and are simple construction. Making a stationary tab is much easier than fin that has to be provide lift, due to it's waterdynamic shape. If I were to take up an endevour such as you speak of, I would make tabs as they offer much more flexability than a fin.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can buy a foil for less than $30 online. If you can't afford that, how can you afford the gas, oil, and beverages that it takes to be out on the water for a day? :confused:

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

Danimal1706 <br />First Mate <br />Member # 38348 <br /><br /> posted March 16, 2004 01:59 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I dont have the peso's right now to buy one but after looking at them in the catalogs it looks pretty easy to build I would use plate steel and try to bend the edge's down after heating them but is there something more to thier design that im not seeing? if so does anyone have pics they would post for me or a good detailed description might help! or am I going to end up with a boat anchor I have a 14ft fiberglass with 45hp chrysler OB if this makes a dif. what do you guys think? TX<br /><br />--------------------<br />If it floats.. It boats!<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 8 | From: Pinconning MI | Registered: Mar 2004 | IP: Logged <br /> <br />Knightgang <br />Captain <br />Member # 33950 <br /><br /> posted March 16, 2004 02:03 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />The concept behind Hydro foils is providing lift. All of the ones that I have seen do this because they are shaped like an airplane wing. They are fairly flat on the bottom, and have the airplane wing contour over the top. I do not think that you will be able to make one that will perform well. Spend the $35 and buy one and save the hassel.<br /><br />--------------------<br />Have you ever seen a fish on a wall with its mouth shut?

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

The duplicate post in Project Boats has been combined with this one. The duplicate post was then deleted.<br /><br />Moving this to Boat Topics since it applies to more than just outboards.

SoulWinner

Commander

I could build a set of smart tabs for the cost of the sheet stainless and and the rams. I forget what pound rating my rams are, but they are available at auto parts stores. The tabs could prolly be made of aluminum too if you painted them. At any rate, I really love my smart tabs. They do runs VERY killer sales on smart tabs sometimes. Thats when I bought mine for about half price, and John is a great guy to work with if you have any problems with the installation or operation of the tabs.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A guy in my marina made his own doel fins with street signs.I dont even think he cut them.When he tilted his motor up you could see what street was now without signs.Charlie

ob

Admiral

That is " so hood " CrazyCharlie. :D

richg99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've had five different tabs on four different boats during the last half dozen years. All worked well. All but one was made up of flat aluminum or Stainless steel. Of course you can make your own. Go to the nearest used boat yard or dealer; bring a camera and a ruler. Measure once, cut twice...whooops measure twice and cut once..... and put the thing on. RichG<br /><br />Where are you in TX? You can measure the one I have on my El Pescador if you are in North Houston rg

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mean something like this?<br /><br />
23192L.jpg