Transom Bracket seized on tilt tube..Any Ideas?

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Gday,I've got a V6 Mercury and having trouble getting transom bracket off tilt tube on starboard side.T.Tube nut came off and bracket won't slide off....won't budge at all.Any ideas welcome.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Transom Bracket seized on tilt tube..Any Ideas?

Guess I'll just keep bashing.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yes they get seized up and many people have had to resort to lot's of hammering.

Once it is removed.......get a 12Gauge shotgun cleaning brus to clean the garbage out of the tube and lube the heck out of it

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks bob,though it's not the inside of tilt tube I'm worried about,it's where tube sits in transom bracket that is seized.Trying to remove transom bracket so I can get the tilt n trim unit off for repair.Nice if they could design unit to be 3 inches thinner then bracket stays on.Crazy design.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Many people (including me) have to remove the steering tube to get to certain parts.......in my case I have to unbolt my motor and move it over on thr transom to get the extra inches to remove my steering tube.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok I'm getting desperate.Going to try (tested home brew penetrating oil)....50/50 mix of ATF or PSF and Acetone.Tests say twice as good as best product on market.I've got nothing else.Thought I'd get more feedback considering a lot of boats are in salt water and seized joint are common.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Anyway to put some heat on the seized up area???

I had to replace the anchor pins for the stern drives trim cylinders (stainless through aluminum) that was fun, took it really easy with the oxy/acetalian torch though.

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes I've been blasting with heat but starting to burn gelcoat....not happy.Does anyone know if I can take off port bracket instead(may also be seized) or is that a no no.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Give us a picture which may help with advice ;)

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Tilt nTrim Rebuild Transom Bracket stuck.V6 1988.
Finally got the &$&$@(@$ thing off.It took some heavier blows with the hammer and more heat and it eventually broke free.I found hitting in many different directions work.It's true what they say about frozen joints(not threads)they take a lot of patients.Took me around 6 hours over a week to win this fight.I used that loctite FREEZE OFF penetrant spray,don't know if it made any difference,think the heat and bashing was the trick.
Thanks for your help.......very happy:)

Coxyp

Cadet

Mmmmmm. facing the same issue with my '88 150 Black Max. Tilt motor gone so need to move the starboard Transom Bracket. Googled it an found my way here. Just wanted to check that hammering the crap out of it (Via a wooden block) was actually the correct method. Guess i will just keep on banging!

Coxyp

Cadet

Got it sorted yesterday. Heat gun, Acetone/ATF homemade releasing oil, a 2 foot length of timber and a big metal mallet! Now I just need to get the new electric motor and put the whole lot back together!

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Nice work. For future reference, it's against forum rules to re-open a thread that's more than 90 days old unless you are the original poster. Start your own thread instead.