Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

MilChad

Seaman
The wife in on board with us getting a boat but since we recently had a baby boy (now 4 months old) she wants us to wait until he's 4-5 years old! I've been around boats most of my life and have always wanted to own my own rather than depend on somebody inviting me out. I'm trying the angle "let's have good weekend family time out on the lake rather than in front of the TV". That seems to work, but she can't get past the "he's just a baby" factor. No matter what, it looks like I'm going to have to wait this one out but I'd rather not have to wait as long as she wants me to. Hopefully somebody on here has some success stories with this.

tarpleyg

Cadet
Re: Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

Yeah, be honest with her and tell her the three of you aren't getting any younger. I have two daughters...one just about 4 and the other newly born. My 4 year old loves going out and has since we bought our boat over a year ago.

Show her these pics....kids love boating.

This is my wife and our baby girl...
6049058763_1ca92684a1.jpg

And this is our 4 year old...
6049612102_cc37155470.jpg

Greg

solmate

Seaman Apprentice

Have any boating friends with young kids? If so, try that. My daughters been on a boat since she was crawling. My wife was against it at first, now she's encouraging others to try... as long as the boater is experienced in handling a boat.

Philster

Captain

You're trying to approach this rationally? Good luck with that.

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we ended up getting a little mini cabin cruiser. it was perfect, because our son, now 1.5, could play safely in the cabin and she had some privacy when breast feeding earlier on.

4 or 5 years from now is dangerous. that's a lot of loafing around. show her the type 2 pfd's for infants. they're pretty amazing.

we are so glad that we introduced our son to the water, he loves it now and cries when we get off the boat. i also get a kick out of the fact that he hoots and hollers when we see a boat parked somewhere or passing on the highway.

if you have the finances to do it responsibly, there's no time like the present.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

having raised two on small boats...
Personally I think infants are a pain on a boat; Mothers will more than agree. get an irritated baby AND mother on the boat at the same time and you will wish you were on fire. All things being equal I'd start them at 2 years old. Obviously that doesn't work when the second one comes along.

If you take mother and baby on a boat, do not commit to a long trip and be ready to bail out at the first sign of things going down hill. You will be better served in the long run to give in often on the short run. But if you keep them captive one time it will be your last. Likewise, on those early trips, do whatever they want to do, and don't even attempt fishing.

Here's an strategy, though: use the baby to sell the wife on the idea. As he gets older, read him lots of boat books, get boat bath toys, and get him to say "boat" everytime he sees anything remotely similar. How can she say "no" when he obviously has boating in his blood? For the OP, this season is almost over so don't get a boat now. Get my plan going and let loose in the spring.

I don't think you need a cabin, especially where you are, but you do want high sides.

MilChad

Seaman

I forgot to mention that I already have an almost 7 year old. We went out with friends on the lake last weekend and he had an absolute blast and can't wait to go back. I feel that he's being penalized because of his little brother. I can understand it being a hassle taking a baby on the boat, but waiting until the new one is 4-5 seems a little excessive. I'm not rich, but money isn't really an issue. When the time does come, it would be nice to buy in the fall to save money. It would be hard to buy one just to winterize, but the satisfaction of saving good money will outweigh the desire to get on the water ASAP.

baylake

Seaman

My wife finally bought into boating after I took her out on couple of rental boat trips; and I am searching now for a bow-rider, our first boat. My 2 yrs boy enjoyed boating a lot & I believed that convinced my wife. I was in your 'boat' 18 months ago. I can see that your wife may like mine; then it may be worth the wait for your boy about a year old to push for it again. Good Luck.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

tips?........

1. look at new boat brochures and start crying.

2. place seat in bath tub .....fill tub, sit on seat....place hands on imaginary steering wheel, and make motor boat sounds.

3. while driving family in car.......turn left and yell ......hard to port !

4. when shopping at local department store....find captains hat and wear it around the store with the tag hanging off the front.

5. open hood on family car look in engine compartment and yell.......thats why it wont float......it has a bole in it.

6.when driving down local freeway.......do the boaters wave at everyone you see.

7. ask your wife to lay on the dining room table like she is suntanning.....jump on the table with an oar and start "rowing"

8. take the covers off your wifes "cosmo" magazines,,,,and staple them to new boat brochures.

9. when talking on the family telephone.....use a pirate voice and language, and exclaim that the person on the other end of the line is the coast guard and they are going to board you !!!

10. have wifes computer set to iboats forums.....she will get "the fever"

the mooch

Recruit

Well I'm the wife with 2 boys trying to convince her husband that this would be the best thing for family "togetherness",
I took them to the boat and put all three on board -we went to contract that afternoon. ( that was Wed the 16th)

picking it up in an hour!

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Number 10 above is actually a brilliant plan. All three of my children were boaters from 1 month of age on. Infant life jacket and sit them in their car seat under the dash in the shade. Just remember you have a 1 month old on board and boat accordingly. You take care of the child needs while boating so it is actualy relaxation time for your wife. All will be good.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Honey, would you rather that I get a small boat, just for me, then later on get a family size boat or should we get the family boat now?"

Or

Which should we do?
a. Get a small boat for dad to use until son is "old enough" to go with him.
b. Get a family size boat now for family recreation.

Do not open the door for a possible "No".

Good luck. :)

2ndtry

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Honey, would you rather that I get a small boat, just for me, then later on get a family size boat or should we get the family boat now?"

Or

Which should we do?
a. Get a small boat for dad to use until son is "old enough" to go with him.
b. Get a family size boat now for family recreation.

Do not open the door for a possible "No".

Good luck. :)

This is excellent advice. My wife was pretty lukewarm to the idea, but I REALLY wanted a boat. I started looking online and I finally found a nice 16' center console for pretty cheap, and told her I was pretty serious and showed her pictures. Of course THEN she asks "where will the kids and I sit?, If your gonna get a boat at least get a nice one we can have fund with you." A couple months later we got a nice 19' deckboat. That was 2006, and we go out as a family almost every weekend!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Having kids today is a tough proposition. With the poor schools, peer pressure and the internet and TV luring them away from joining the family, drugs and gangs are a real possibility.

One of the few ways to keep the kids safe and happy is on a boat with the WHOLE family. Let them bring their friends - that way the peer pressure is in a positive sense.

Can't start too early. MY boys were on the boat in diapers. Just be sure to have sun tan lotion and a convertible top.

My wife was a boater before we married, and still is now 40 years later. Both boys have their own families and their own boats. And both are professionals and grew up to be fine men.

If the wife isn't on board, better splain some things to her and make some demands. Once you lose your kids its to late to come back!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Here is how it went in my house

Me.....Honey, how many horsee do you have?
My wife......three
Me.. then we're even
My wife.... What do you mean?
Me ... I just bought a boat
My wife... you did what?
Me......I bought a boat.Want to see it? Its out in the drive way

That was 22 years and 4 boats ago.

My one fear in life is that when I pass away, my wife sells the boat and my fishing tackle for what I told here I paid for it. :D:D

Tetondan37

Seaman Apprentice

My ex wife told me she would rather move out than get a boat (I had an old 15? runabout).

My new wife and I are on our second boat a 28 footer. Together we are the Brady Bunch with 6 kids between 6 and 14. I have always been around boats and my wife grew up on boats. Our kids love going out on the boat.

Our time on the boat is GREAT family time.

Attachments

• boat with curtinss.jpg
    boat with curtinss.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 0

Philster

Captain

The guide to getting the wife to agree to a boat is similar to the guide to getting laid for ugly people. It contains the following chapters:

Alcohol
Lies
Begging
Wealth

In any order you choose. The more the better.

BobList

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh... JB, you are a genius! Let her have a choice, but either choice works for you. After all, she DID have a say in it!!

Also, to the original poster.. looks like you are in NC.. there has GOT to be a BassPro shop on every block.. take her there, wander accidently over to the boat section.. try and turn her on to the idea of a pontoon boat, like a Party Barge.. railings, flat deck, and smooth ride for the little ones.. they go slow, and don't rock and roll like the v-boats. Get the salesman ( slip him a ten) to lay it on her about how Moms are the biggest buyers of pontoons because of the safety factor. Maybe he can get one of the female employees to go on and on about how her family ( and the baby) just love theirs...and how it saved their marriage... ( cough out another ten-spot, by the way).

V153

Lieutenant Commander

No.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

JB is onto something there!

I had a small tinny before gettting married. When we had the first kid I told my wife we needed a bigger, safer boat to take him out in. Then we hit the jackpot and had twins, which allowed me to have get an even bigger boat.

Home Cookin is also right.
My wife hated the first couple trips we took until my oldest was bout 3. Somebody had to hold him at all times, and it usually ended up being her. Limit trips to a short spin at first, we found a ramp with a beach next to it. 1/2 hour in the boat and a couple hours at the beach worked well. Sometimes she'd let me sneak away from the beach for an extra 1/2 hour.