Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

i was in the same boat (pun intended) as you. I didn't want to .........but I ended up waiting until my kids were 5 & 3. Babies on a boat are a pain in the *** for the mothers. I rented a number of boats before i bought one which is MUCH easier than trailering, launching a boat.

The travel, pre and post boating process (if done correctly) is the problem.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I am a wife to a great man for 34 yrs. he just tonight bought a fourth (4) boat. Remember u only use one at a time.
However, to your question , your wife needs to realize the baby bonding time is a great thing but hubby time is even greater, especially when the kids are grown and gone u two will still be together!!! I had rather have my husband out fishing, working on his boat , or just enjoying a boat ride with or without me, than to have him at a bar drinking, talking to strange women (yes they will be there on the prowl) . So wifey get a life pack up the kids go on the family boat or hire a sitter, this is valuable time while u r young with or without the kids. We are selling one of the boats so we will have one for ocean side , one for bayside, and one for duck hunting.. life is good and God is Great have fun

crim,k you are the best. Almost as good as my wife, who has the same attitiude! We didn't do that much boating together when the children were little but we do now that they are grown, except that we'd go off fishing together a lot when staying on an island hunt/fish club. But she never minded me taking the children out and leaving her behind.

One of the old wives of a club member told one of the new young wives, when she was a little exasperated by the time and money he devoted to the club, "Honey, it's a lot cheaper than a blonde." Wives who keep their husbands (or husbands who keep their wives) from having good clean fun won't like the dirty alternative, but have only themselves to blame.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Here is how it went down on my end.

Wife: I want a camper

Kids: We want a pool

I bought a boat - both problems solved. :)

Seriously, The Wife & kids love it. My son was 10 and my daughter was 7 when we got the boat - Been two years now and my son just completed his training so he can legally drive the boat with an adult - 8 hour course and he was pumped to take it.
Everyone has something to do while docking, Launching, retrieving, etc - Keeps them involved and helps out a bunch.

I just wish there was a in-land lake near by as opposed to the "big lake" (Lake Huron, Saginaw bay) as the waves are usually the issue, Not the weather.

We stay on the boat at the marina, Play board games, Talk & bond - Always a great time even if the lake is rough and we stay at the marina - Just a really good time with my family.

LK

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is how it went down on my end.

Wife: I want a camper

Kids: We want a pool

I bought a boat - both problems solved. :)

Seriously, The Wife & kids love it. My son was 10 and my daughter was 7 when we got the boat - Been two years now and my son just completed his training so he can legally drive the boat with an adult - 8 hour course and he was pumped to take it.
Everyone has something to do while docking, Launching, retrieving, etc - Keeps them involved and helps out a bunch.

I just wish there was a in-land lake near by as opposed to the "big lake" (Lake Huron, Saginaw bay) as the waves are ysually the issue, Not the weather.

We stay on the boat at the marina, Play board games, Talk & bond - Always a great time even if the lake is rough and we stay at the marina - Just a really good time with my family.

LK

That's one of the best posts yet...awesome.....Some really good advice on this thread....

hot carl

Cadet

"Honey, would you rather that I get a small boat, just for me, then later on get a family size boat or should we get the family boat now?"

Or

Which should we do?
a. Get a small boat for dad to use until son is "old enough" to go with him.
b. Get a family size boat now for family recreation.

Do not open the door for a possible "No".

Good luck. :)

you are close with the ultimatum, but i think you might wanna try something like:

"boat or mistress, that may or may not be your sister".

when she doesnt answer, you can say you assumed either was fine with her and that you have chosen the boat (unless you took on a mistress--you cant have both--it wasnt part of the deal unless you word it differently).

svxtech

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tips?........

1. look at new boat brochures and start crying.

2. place seat in bath tub .....fill tub, sit on seat....place hands on imaginary steering wheel, and make motor boat sounds.

3. while driving family in car.......turn left and yell ......hard to port !

4. when shopping at local department store....find captains hat and wear it around the store with the tag hanging off the front.

5. open hood on family car look in engine compartment and yell.......thats why it wont float......it has a bole in it.

6.when driving down local freeway.......do the boaters wave at everyone you see.

7. ask your wife to lay on the dining room table like she is suntanning.....jump on the table with an oar and start "rowing"

8. take the covers off your wifes "cosmo" magazines,,,,and staple them to new boat brochures.

9. when talking on the family telephone.....use a pirate voice and language, and exclaim that the person on the other end of the line is the coast guard and they are going to board you !!!

10. have wifes computer set to iboats forums.....she will get "the fever"

#8 is great...---just buy it she'll get over it :rolleyes:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I firmly believe in making the decisions I see fit.... It isn't a matter of not caring about her.... It's a matter of I'm an adult and if I choose to buy a boat I WILL... I of course am very interested in her input on the matter and if she has an interest in a boat suited for certain activities. I would VERY much prefer to own a boat that we both love but dang.... It's been a lot of years since I had to ask permission....

Look her in the eye.... explain that you aren't going to waste your life waiting.... Smile and tell her you would really like her to look at some family boats and be "on board" but that you are going to at least get a decent enough boat to take the older boy fishing... Don't be an @ss but man up and do it.

Honey, either WE can buy a family boat or I'M going to buy a boat.

Hi,

tell her its one of the best ways there is for the family to have fun together
no matter what age the children are, they will love it, i have owned boats for
40 years, some of our best memories are from boating, for us and our kids
a good boat will hold a good value if you take care of it.
Dave

bassmantweed

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so much bad advice out here related to im the man ...... i make the decisions...... i do what i want.

that's a sure way to end up in a divorce or with a woman that resents your purchases or sneaks around and buys retaliatory purchases......

i recommend not following that model as it is a 12 year frame of mind. talk to her and if there is mutual respect for each others interests and hobbies then it should be fine. if not then go talk with someone else.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

it has worked for my father, grandfather, and everyone else I know that does it that way.... It may well NOT work for everyone and if your woman would resent you for buying a boat then.... well..... I'm glad she is YOUR woman... thankfully, not every woman really wants to be her husband's mommy....

Obviously I don't know the O/P or his wife and maybe she'd be like a kid at christmas when he brought it home OR maybe she'd pin him down and beat him till he agreed to sell it...I dunno

The way I look at it... If you can wait 4 or 5 years then you aren't boat people.... If finances aren't right for a nice boat then a boat person finds a $700 beater and deals with it..... If the baby isn't ready to go boating then a boat person finds a sitter...... If the wife says you can't have a boat then a boat person finds a new wife LOL

Kohrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there were two deciding factors in my ability to get a boat. Also bear in mind I live an hour north of Buffalo right on lake Ontario. So our winters are a bit on the long side.

First, I explained to her that I was a water baby, been on a boat since I was a month old. I'm sure if I dig through the family albums I can find a picture of me zonked out in the cabin of my family's boat. I would like my family to be the same way. She on the other hand did not grow up on a boat so it took some time to explain everything and all the safety, how to bow rises when taking off, showed her plenty of videos, etc etc.

Second was using the logic that she could understand "Honey if I get a boat, you'll know where I am. Either on the boat, working on the boat, or with you on the boat." Of course that one back fired on me and my than girlfriend is now my fiance...... yes I was given the "Fine you get a boat, I get a ring." Thankfully I love her dearly and she puts up with my crap. Of course I've since used the same logic to get a second project boat to work on. :D

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ever since my early college years, all of my hobbies have taken me outside of the home and into nature. She married me that way, and on some level, she knows I'll never change. Its part of who I am as a person. No one on this forum knows your family better than you, so ultimately, it will be your choice one way or another. Just remember, there's no harm in trying to include the family in your hobbies.

It has taken me 14yrs to figure out what she would like in a family hobby. I've tried ATVs, dirtbikes, camp trailers, and snowmobiles...........I think about the money I've spent getting all 5 of us into a new hobby and I want to cry! That being said, I had a hard time selling a streetbike recently and a fella offered to trade his old fishing boat for it. Best family toy I've every bargain'd for! I fish with my buddies in it, then take the family out on tubes, boards, and skis. Other than the fact its a little ugly, no one complains when were out on the water. Rent first before you get your feet wet with a montly payment. Try different styles based on what your family is interested in (fish, ski, party barge w/bbq, etc). Hell, X-mas is just around the corner. Maybe Santa needs to bring Junior a min-vest. What could it hurt?

Newowner2011

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found one on Craigslist and showed my wife the pictures, told her the length, what it had for an engine etc. She thought it looked nice but thought we'd get a better deal if we waited until spring. My buddy and I went and looked at it in September, tried it out and I bought it. I was really nervous but since she has been in it she likes it quite well, Whew !! I knew I wouldn't have gotten a better deal waiting until spring. When I told her that, she was a little bit more to buy one.