Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Anybody have any tips on talking wife into buying boat?

I turned to my wife one Sunday morning and said, I think I want a motorcycle. She said get a boat so the kids can go. Best day in the last ten years.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I turned to my wife one Sunday morning and said, I think I want a motorcycle. She said get a boat so the kids can go. Best day in the last ten years.
Ha ha ha! Outstanding! You a smart man NHG. I actually used kinda the same ploy years ago to fool my now ex-wife ... into letting me get a SeaDoo. Heh heh

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

having raised two on small boats...
Personally I think infants are a pain on a boat; Mothers will more than agree. get an irritated baby AND mother on the boat at the same time and you will wish you were on fire. All things being equal I'd start them at 2 years old. Obviously that doesn't work when the second one comes along.

If you take mother and baby on a boat, do not commit to a long trip and be ready to bail out at the first sign of things going down hill. You will be better served in the long run to give in often on the short run. But if you keep them captive one time it will be your last. Likewise, on those early trips, do whatever they want to do, and don't even attempt fishing.

Here's an strategy, though: use the baby to sell the wife on the idea. As he gets older, read him lots of boat books, get boat bath toys, and get him to say "boat" everytime he sees anything remotely similar. How can she say "no" when he obviously has boating in his blood? For the OP, this season is almost over so don't get a boat now. Get my plan going and let loose in the spring.

I don't think you need a cabin, especially where you are, but you do want high sides.

If Momma ain't happy-no body is happy. Even though my wife like to get on the water she gets bored very quickly. If and when you do get a boat make sure it is one that she and the family can be comfortable in. The more comfortable the more enjoyment they (and you) will have.

jcole4455

Recruit

Having spent 29 years in the military and moving every couple of years my wife had a built in excuse. Wait until we move....... I had been talking boat for years, I bought boating books, I bought Boat Traders, I searched the internet high and low, each time I found a boat she would say, "wait until we move". In 2005 the fuel cost almost hit $5.00 per gallon, I told the wife that's it, I am buying a motorcycle to commute on. A very dangerous option in southern California. Started looking, took her to the bike dealer and was hours away from buying the bike. She didn't like it at all. Finally she said, I have never heard you say you wanted a bike, you have been talking boats for years and now all of a sudden you want a bike. If you buy the bike you can't get a boat..... Within 2 weeks we found a brand new 2005 proline 19ft sport CC with a 2006 honda 4 stroke 135. I didn't even have to wheel and deal she did and she did a great job, brand new boat and motor for 19,500..... That's how I did it.....Good luck. You could always fall to your knees and beg....:):):)

Glowplug007

Seaman

Your the head of the household, just tell her your buying a boat. There's no debating it because you said so. Nut up, problem solved.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went shopping for a boat and made the purchase while she was on bed rest about 3 weeks before our daughter was born. We already had a 6 year old boy. I am not saying that this was the right thing to do, but she certainly would have had us hold off and likely would have never done it. I had to have the boat to keep my sanity. I am addicted to boating and have been since I was 4. I went about 5 summers without a boat and just could not handle it. FWIW - she still does not like boating but I have managed to get her to tolerate it since both kids love it.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Having spent 29 years in the military and moving every couple of years my wife had a built in excuse. Wait until we move....... I had been talking boat for years, I bought boating books, I bought Boat Traders, I searched the internet high and low, each time I found a boat she would say, "wait until we move". In 2005 the fuel cost almost hit $5.00 per gallon, I told the wife that's it, I am buying a motorcycle to commute on. A very dangerous option in southern California. Started looking, took her to the bike dealer and was hours away from buying the bike. She didn't like it at all. Finally she said, I have never heard you say you wanted a bike, you have been talking boats for years and now all of a sudden you want a bike. If you buy the bike you can't get a boat..... Within 2 weeks we found a brand new 2005 proline 19ft sport CC with a 2006 honda 4 stroke 135. I didn't even have to wheel and deal she did and she did a great job, brand new boat and motor for 19,500..... That's how I did it.....Good luck. You could always fall to your knees and beg....:):):)

Nice!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your the head of the household, just tell her your buying a boat. There's no debating it because you said so. Nut up, problem solved.

Better get one with a stateroom so you will have a place to sleep.:p

rufusdog

Cadet

I am new to this forum but I am on my 6th boat. My wife can'y swim and was scared of the water. So I trade a old bus and canoe we had for a 21ft pontoon and it was on, then the 24ft pontoon then the 17th Maxum bow rider, 18th procraft fishing boat to the 18 ft pontoon. Now that Our grand kids are grown and do not visit as much I sold the 18 ft and a good friend gave me a 14 ft alumacraft we went riding on the White River Ar. yesterday and she never complained or said anything over than she needed a umbrella if she was going to fish with me. You just have to show them that boats are as safe as car or safer. She still can't swimm but she trust her life vest and her cushion seat, hang in there all our grandkids learned to swim off our boats.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I can't think of anyplace more soothing to a baby than on the water in a boat. I've got two young sons, 8 and 3 years old. They've been on boats for as many years as they are old. My wife and I would like to have one more baby, hopefully a girl (Lord help me;)). When and if we do, she (or he) will be on the boat after about a month or two. Wait four or five years???:confused: Not gonna happen. I've been boating most of my life, though. So has my wife. I'm very confident in my skills and abilities. I read the weather and the water very well. How experienced as a boater are you? I understand you've never owned one, but you've been around them most of your life. How much experience do you have operating and maintaining boats? Would you feel confident with the responsibility of the lives of your family on the water? If so, you'll find a way to get a boat without waiting 4-5 years. Just include your wife throughout the searching, inspecting, and purchasing process. Encourage her to take part in all of the choices and decisions.

MilChad

Seaman

I wish it were that easy. My wife would probably be my ex-wife!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

It took a pair of diamond ear rings and a half a bottle of tequila to talk my wife into.......um:eek:........well it wasn't a boat, already had one..........:p;):D

MilChad

Seaman

Wow, you guys have some very informative and creative ways to approach my dilemma. One that really stands out is trying to get my new boy to REALLY like boats. If I can get him to eat, drink, and sleep boats, it?ll all be downhill from there. I?m going to hang onto this thread and use as much advice as I can from it and keep you all posted on my progress. Like I said, I don?t mind waiting, but feel that 4-5 years is just too long.

LX Kid

Ensign

"Man Up!" Just buy the boat! It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

begging.gif

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I used to take an old buddy along fishing once in awhile. Turned out he only came when his wife said he could go. One day he admitted that he would love a boat more than anything, but his wife wouldn't let him buy one. Not a money issue for sure. All I could think to myself was how sad!

When my wife wanted a horse I said go ahead and buy one. Even though it might take away a few days in the boat thats what she wanted. So I went out and bought a second boat (a smaller one) that i could use by myself when the occasion arises.

Now, when she bought the 6th horse, I got a little preturbed. But I couldn't yell at her since that year I had bought the fifth boat....LOL. And I also collect guns and she thinks they all look alike so she can't understand why I want yet another when I have dozens already!

The point is that marriage requires teamwork and helping the other , even if you might not like everything they do. After 40 years I can't imagine her telling me I shouldnt buy a new boat if thats what I want.

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

@ oops! That's friggen Hilarious!!!

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Having kids today is a tough proposition. With the poor schools, peer pressure and the internet and TV luring them away from joining the family, drugs and gangs are a real possibility.

One of the few ways to keep the kids safe and happy is on a boat with the WHOLE family. Let them bring their friends - that way the peer pressure is in a positive sense.

Can't start too early. MY boys were on the boat in diapers. Just be sure to have sun tan lotion and a convertible top.

My wife was a boater before we married, and still is now 40 years later. Both boys have their own families and their own boats. And both are professionals and grew up to be fine men.

If the wife isn't on board, better splain some things to her and make some demands. Once you lose your kids its to late to come back!
Excellent and well thought out advice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Things to remind her of:

The baby doesn't have to go out every time, or for a year or two.
There are things like baby-sitters, friends, and family, that will be more than willing to spend 3-6 hours
watching the baby while the 3 of you head out for a few hours.

She and the baby don't always have to go.
You could spend the day with your eldest son, bonding, fishing, or talking.

Start with new and $29,000, slowly work your way down to the new Harley ($20,000), then on down to $9,000 used boat.

But buy a $6,500 boat and make sure you tell the wife you did it so you can spend some of that money for a weekend away for just the 2 of you.

Or use the nuclear option. Buy it, fill it with all your stuff, drive on down the hi-way.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine went something like this:

Me: Babe I think I really want to buy a boat.
Wife: Only if I can have a baby.
Me: Deal.

:facepalm:

I got the boat, no baby yet, but it probably won't be long now! There are probably better suggestions in this thread! :cool: