Mounting depth sounder transducer

wacres98

Recruit
Hi - I am planning on buying a depth sounder and I am confused on what type of transducer to get (transom mount, in-hull or shoot through the hull) and how to mount it.<br /><br />What type would you recommend? <br /><br />For a transom mount transducer, how do I run the wire at the stern out to the transom?<br /><br />Is an in-hull transducer the same as a shoot thru the hull model? <br /><br />Do I just exopy in a shoot through the hull model and where do I locate it?<br /><br />Thanks very much for any help.<br /><br />Bill

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mounting depth sounder transducer

Howdy Bill. I prefer a transom mount. Mount it according to the instructions from the maker. Run the wire up over the top of your transom and then forward to your display unit. This is not the prettiest installation, but it will be easy to replace it in a few years if you decide to upgrade to new technology or the transducer fails. <br />Good Luck<br />JB
smile.gif

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Also, your hull type needs to be considered too. Most "Shoot Through the Hull" transducers work only with Fiberglass boats. If your boat is aluminum or wood, they will not work.<br /><br />If you primarily use it at slow speed, I'd side with JB and go with the transom mount. They are much easier to deal with should something go wrong. One thing I have noticed though it that at high speeds, your readings may go haywire because of the possible turbulance generated by the speed.<br /><br />If you use your depth sounder at high speeds,and dont mind cutting through your hull (the sound of that makes me gringe
eek.gif
) then you may want to go with the through hull permanent mount. To me, this only makes sense on a very large boat, but it does give you a pretty good reading, even at W.O.T.

SeaBear

Seaman

I agree with the advice you have been given I only wanted to add my experiences - on my 32' GRP Planing Cruiser I actually have all three types. The shoot-thru and thru-hull are both used with old Seafarer neon echo sounders and work fine at low speeds but as stated by Navigator suffer from a lot of echo interference at speed but I think this is a trait of the neon type? The transom mount I have is a digital readout and works fine at any speed but I don't know if all digital sounders have the same degree of 'filtering' so you don't get wide ranges of soundings from interference? The only difference I have noticed between the thru-hull and shoot-thru is the latter requires a higher sensitivity setting but so long as you keep the liquid level correct this one works fine and it does have the advantage of not requiring any holes in the hull whatsoever and no fouling which can damage the lens ... and finally some transom mounts [eg. Interphase] flip up at higher speeds?

SeaBear

Seaman

I agree with the advice you have been given I only wanted to add my experiences - on my 32' GRP Planing Cruiser I actually have all three types. The shoot-thru and thru-hull are both used with old Seafarer neon echo sounders and work fine at low speeds but as stated by Navigator suffer from a lot of echo interference at speed but I think this is a trait of the neon type? The transom mount I have is a digital readout and works fine at any speed but I don't know if all digital sounders have the same degree of 'filtering' so you don't get wide ranges of soundings from interference? The only difference I have noticed between the thru-hull and shoot-thru is the latter requires a higher sensitivity setting but so long as you keep the liquid level correct this one works fine and it does have the advantage of not requiring any holes in the hull whatsoever and no fouling which can damage the lens ... and finally some transom mounts [eg. Interphase] flip up at higher speeds?

SeaBear

Seaman

I'm sorry that was posted twice. I had more thoughts ... if you are getting a graphic type then seek the manufacturers advice. Also, if you are going to fit a thru-hull or transom mount the general advice I've heard is that ensure you site it well back so it is nowhere near the forward edge of the 'wet area' of the hull if a planing hull [hope that makes sense?] and not behind any other protusion of the hull's surface as, no matter how small, will create turbulence and a bubble trail! I was told even a toilet inlet or outlet will be enough to disturb it!