Remove the Whale Tail!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remove the Whale Tail!

I'm looking at removing the hydrofoil from my stern drive (it was on there when I bought the boat). But, I'm unsure of how to treat the remaining holes where the cavitation plate was drilled to attached the foils.

Do I need to worry about the holes?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Re: Remove the Whale Tail!

They shouldn't be a problem, but if you're concerned you can fill them with a marine epoxy or just stick some short bolts in the holes with nyloc nuts.
    I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Try it with it off before you fill the holes. You may not like the way it performs.
      1994 Crownline 182 BR 4.3 mercruiser and alpha 1

1987 Ebbtide Dyna-trak 156 SS ski/fish. Had a 86 mariner 90hp 6cyl, now A 74 merc. 115 I6 w/ the 86 lower leg/unit.

Comment

I have used JB Weld, just put some tape on the bottom of the holes and fill them up, once it dries you can sand and paint it and noone will ever know they were there.
        GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

I say put one padlock thru each hole and tell everyone that's the only way you could keep the lower unit together!
          2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman431 View Post
            I say put one padlock thru each hole and tell everyone that's the only way you could keep the lower unit together!
            That is damn funny! I like it.
            1987 1987 Lund S-16DLX

Comment

hi just wondering why you want to remove the tail i have had them on many boats and have never had a negitive effect in any way. if you remove jb weld is cheap and will last !

Comment

I have seen removed whaletail drives with the holes left open, I'm a freshwater guy. Never made any difference on our lake.
                87 Formula F223LS, 2016 383 Stroker, 2019 Davis Unified(HEI) Ignition, Quickfuel Marine 750
                Lake Winnipesaukee, NH

Comment

that be like taking tits off a woman appreantly they where there for a reason huh ??? lolo

Comment

I'm still holey. Should fill them to deter corrosion.
                    When goals have no clear focus, neither will the actions of the people trying to achieve them

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman431 View Post
                      That's really tempting ...

Comment

Originally posted by oldfordcrap View Post
                        hi just wondering why you want to remove the tail i have had them on many boats and have never had a negitive effect in any way. if you remove jb weld is cheap and will last !
                        I actually don't know if it's having a negative effect or not on my boat. This is the second year I've owned this boat and the original drive is giving me shift problems - can't figure it out even with all the help from the forum and the local OMC mechanic. I grabbed a spare drive this year off CL, and turns out that the lower actually works (I thought I was just getting a parts drive - score!!) so I'm switching to the reserve lower. That unit had a broken hydrofoil on it, so I'm removing it all together. We'll see what the effect is.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll be in freshwater only, so we'll take the first couple of "dunks" with holes and then fill them in afterwards. Any other opinions are welcome!

Comment

Hey Mod, you pull my post but leave #9. I found my more tasteful. I understand keep it family but words!
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of the whale tails. They put undo stress on the outdrive and can break the casing. It happened to me and cost me $300 to have it welded. The welder told it's VERY common for him to have to weld these up from the whale tails.
                              1990 Cruisers 2870 Holiday
                              Twin 4.3LX's - Alpha 1's / Gen 1's
                              "Just One More...II"
                              Torch Lake, MI - "where the boating ruins all other bodies of water for you"

Comment

Working...
                              X