Interlux Brightsides paint and colors?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander
I have decided to go ahead and paint the top stripe on my boat. The white hull, grey part of the hullsides, and blue/grey stripes all clean up well, but the blue above the rub rail is just dull and lifeless. I wet sanded and buffed and got a bit of sheen back, but after the boat being used and in the water it's back to square one.

So knowing that a quart of Interlux and a day of prep and painting should make the boat look a lot better, I decided to go ahead and do it.

My problem is, choosing a color. I thought I decided on Largo Blue. I did a quick image search and only a small sample of the actual color on boats/cars came up and it didn't look good to me. Too light/bright. My next choice would be Ocean Blue, although that is also a color that might be too light/bright.

Does anyone have any photos of the interlux Blue paints on their boats, out on the water?

Photo of the color choices:
Interlux.jpg

Photo of the boat and blue area in question:
IMG_3981.jpg

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Interlux Brightsides paint and colors?

Blues suffer the worst from UV rays. I'm not sure what you mean by "light/bright" , but I went through a similar problem with color. I was using perfection and found that you can mix colors from the same group( perfection/perfection, brightsides/brightsides) and come up with any color you can dream of.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Color will be a personal choice (I like the darker blues), but I will say that you could give the wet sanding another shot on your blue. The white and gray don't show/need that shine but the blue will need more. Buffing compound actually leaves an almost wax like finish/shine that makes you think you sanded/buffed enough. So I'd perhaps give it another round of wet sanding and buffing to see what you can get out of it.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Light/bright means instead of a nice medium blue, similar to whats on there only shiny, it is almost a bright blue, which I'm not fond of.

As far as mixing and matching to get the right color, that is an option, but I think it will be easier and more straight forward to grab an off the shelf color thats close enough, and be happy with it.

As far as wet sanding and buffing again, it's an option. It just seems to not hold up. It last a few rain storms and looks lifeless again.

Blue is not my first choice, but the boats color combo is blue, and I plan to stick with it. Hopefully someone has some different blue colors to post photos of!

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you thought about trying vinyl? I'm considering covering my bootstripe in vinyl. The dark gelcoat just takes a lot of abuse.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

#4316 dark blue on the boat and it's 12 years old.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 4-11-arabian.jpg
    4-11-arabian.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 0

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I have not thought about vinyl.

Thanks for the link on THT. I'm having a look through it now.

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there, check out my restoration thread when I restored my Larson cruiser. This is actually an epifanes epoxy color, but seems similar to Largo Blue.

There are some before and after pictures, I think it turned out nicely.

best of luck
Rob

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364340

bridalshower114.jpg
[/IMG]

I used epifanes two part polyurethane, very similar to Interlux perfection. Great shine and very smooth, applied using the roll and tip method.

Last edited:

Mustang,

Brightsides is good paint but the single part paints do not hold up very well. Interlux Perfection will last several times longer and for the areas you want to paint shouldn't be too much more difficult to handle. Here is a shot of my restored boat with Interlux Perfection: Mediterranian White and Lauderdale Blue.

P1020463.jpg

P1020459.jpg

The shine is unbelievable! Keep us posted on what you decide and good luck.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not 100% dead set on the Interlux, it just seemed to get good reviews and was readily available. If a two part lasts longer, I may want to go with that.

Boats look great guys, but I'm looking for more of a medium navy blue, if that makes sense.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

So I decided it needed to be painted and went with the Brightsides. I was stuck with only one or two Blue colors in stock. I ended up with Sapphire Blue. Taped her off, scuffed, prepped and rolled and tipped it on. The color is FAR from what I wanted. Not sure if I like it or hate it. It might grow on me, might not.

Before:
IMG_5884.jpg

After:
IMG_5938.jpg

Before:
IMG_5816.jpg

After:
IMG_5940.jpg

Tang,

Looks like you did a nice job appying it. How did it turn out finish wise? A little tough to see from you pics. My opinion means nothing here, however I am not found of the color. Something about it doesn't match the boat somehow. I can't put my finger on it. Sorry, I didn't want to bum you out. :redface:

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

IMAG0334.jpgIMAG0335.jpgI found his book helpful, only 1 penny at west marine, the color swabs(?) Are finished, and it shows the true colors, might be worth checking out...