Trihull vs V-hull Bowrider vs Deckboat - Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trihull vs V-hull Bowrider vs Deckboat - Noob Questions

There are pro's and con's to I/O and OB's. Knowing what I know now, I would stay away from larger outboards, (90hp or more.) They are fuel pigs; especially the 2-cycle's. You have to figure the cost of two-cycle oil into each tank of gas too. It's hard to enjoy yourself when you're thinking of how much it's going to cost you to fill up. The 4 cycles aren't as bad, but they still are not very fuel efficient.

Given that, the bottom line is how much HP do you want? A pontoon with a 40hp 4-cycle OB is a nice ride, but not very fast. Worst case the engine goes, the boat still has high value if you sell it. Or if you keep it, it's simple enough to change the OB yourself. Outboards are easy to come by. Not so much with I/O's. You're screwed if the motor is shot.

If you're thinking of a deckboat and you envision tubing or skiing, go with the I/O. You'll have all the power you need. You'll get better fuel efficiency. It's a car motor; most of the time it's easier to get at spark plugs, starters, etc. There are some maintenance items best left to mechanics though. It's boating though. It's an expensive hobby. Post pics or links of what you're thinking about buying.

Liopleurodon

Cadet

How much horsepower I'll need is a good question - that's part of what I'm trying to figure out.

I don't need speed for the sake of speed. The only thing I need speed for is to fight current. I also don't necessarily need to haul 8 people at high speed or even planing speed. So this is pretty much "I need to do X, and Y, but not necessarily at the same time."

That being said, I realize that as soon as I say that and commit to something smaller, I'll find myself in situations where miss the power, or wish I could give skiing a shot, or something. Plus that there's something to be said for using a motor well within its capacity most of the time.

So let's say minimum 20mph with 700-800lb of passengers but able to take more like 1100-1200 if further sacrificing speed. Maybe take 1 skier with 3 other passengers. Not concerned with tubing or at least speed when tubing.

I had thought that 4 stroke outboards were relatively common and affordable, but it seems that most affordable pre-owned outboards are 2-stroke. I'm guessing 4 stroke may be more cost effective if buying new, but I'm not anywhere near that point. So I'm starting to lean towards I/O, which I had thought was the "dark side" of maintenance & serviceability, but am getting the impression may not be so bad after all.

Then I realize I may need to sacrifice something, and am trying to figure out what that should & shouldn't be.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i/o to ob is a 50/50 with me i think i accualy like the i/o more its quieter and like stated with 2 cycles no mixing gas. however if something big goes wrong you got a big bill. where as if a used 50 hp motor goes out look on craigs list for $200. 4 cycle ob are relitively new to the market 5-10 years not sure when they started, and they are very nice this is why you dont see them used and for sale often.

maintaince wise besides bellows and gimble bearing in the i/o they are about the same. ob's i think are the best area to start if your new to boating, if you get shallow you can tilt it up as long as its spittin water unlike in an i/o if you hit ground you can only run the outdrive up so much before its to hard on u joints and gimble bearing.

speed wise your dont sound like a speed demon and most i/o's i think run about 35-40mph and faster. smaller outboards like 50, 60, 75 hp generaly only going about 20-30ish depending weight hull and prop. gas wise a smaller i/o may be more fuel effecient [4 cylinder], 2 strokes suck it down 5 gallons of gas wont last you but a few hours.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

We live on a large lake with a few thousand residents within a few feet of the water. They use boats here like they were cars--for transportation.

Current Observations of a full time Lake Guy:
1. I had no idea there were still so many tri hull people around. We seldom see any tri hulls on the lake--except for a few deck boats. They just ride so rough.
2. Most full hulled boats on this lake are inboard-outboard V-hull bowriders.
3. Most families on our lake have a pontoon boat and a couple of PWC's in their boat houses.
4. At least half of the boats I see in boat salvage yards are inboard-outboards. Many of them were not maintained or winterized properly. (I-O outdrive units are difficult to maintain, and they're best not left in the water for extended periods of time.)
5. Straight inboard's seem to never die. A guy down the street has a mint 1953 Chris Craft in his boat house. His newer boat is a 1978 22' Correct Craft v-hull inboard.
6. Most of the new boats are powered by 4 stroke outboard motors--for quietness and fuel mileage. There again, most of the newer motors are on pontoons.
7. We still have a large population of bass fishermen running typical bass boats with very large 2 stroke motors.
8. If you're going to be trailering your boat often or going long distances with a relatively small truck, stick with an outboard to save 800 lbs.
9. If you have a $6-8K and 5000 lb. limit including trailer--go with a 20' pontoon boat. They're easily found on the used market, and usually have not been run to death. Even a pontoon with bad carpet and/or rotting deck can be easily reconditioned for very little.
10. When you find a prospective used boat, pay to have the motor looked at by a professional mechanic. Also go for a demo ride if you're serious. Be quick to change the water pump impeller and check the lower unit oil to make sure there's no contamination.

Good luck in your search.
1990 SeaDoo PWC--still running good

Liopleurodon

Cadet

At the moment my wife is trying to steer towards v-hull bowriders, partly to be able to handle rougher water. Finding them with a 1100-1200lb capacity seems to be a challenge, though I'm hoping opening up to I/O will open some doors.

Now it's seeming like a matter of figuring out how to balance budget against the feasibility of repairs. I'm decent with wood and am an engineer by trade, but experience teaches me to approach projects with humility.

Liopleurodon

Cadet

To update anyone who remotely cares, we just bought a 75 Starcraft alumninum bowrider with 50hp mercury outboard.

It was right smack in the middle between the max and min of size, around the low end of power but just enough, and at just the right budget point. Everything's worn but everything's there, and the motor functions very well. The owner said he used a richer fuel mixture (32:1) just to be common with his other non-boat motors, I wonder if that had anything to do with the motor starting more easily and if I need to be concerned about it at all in the future.

Not yet on the water because I need to get the PA safety card (I used to boat in another state without this requirement) and safety inspection. I would have asked more questions leading up to this, but I was able to find many of the answers already here on the forums.

I'm already on the road to becoming lost in the hobby, as I'm thinking about what else I'll want someday (ie aluma-jet, etc), but this choice came out of an 80-20 type analysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80-20_rule). Basically looking at what uses would be in the top 80% of time spent and which ones were in the 20% that I may want to consider but with less priority.

57crestliner

Seaman

:)Congradulations! 32/1 might have built some carbon, search "seafoam" on the forums and see what you think.;) As you see by my user name, I run an old, 450 lb 18' alum classic:rolleyes:. Has a 2005 40 Merc 2 stroke. 30 with just me onboard.:facepalm:Old fart. Boat is 2 years younger than I am.:facepalm:

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I think ya done good, and you'll find that there are some real Starcraft fans around here. Keep us posted.

I Did It!!

Recruit

To update anyone who remotely cares, we just bought a 75 Starcraft alumninum bowrider with 50hp mercury outboard.

Hi...Believe me, EVERYONE here cares!!! Its everyones goal here to help others to make the correct decisions to help insure your satisfaction and safety!! in the boating public!
Am assuming your boat is 16-18 feet in length.....am somewhat surprised judging from your earlier comments, Re: 6-8 passengers/I/O drive....For safety I would have suggested a min. of 22' and an O/B power!!!
Re: I/O vs O/B power, I could never see the advantage of carrying an extra 800# of weight, especially in a smaller boat and at the stern of the boat where its not really wanted!!!!I have had both, but doubt if I ever have another I/O.....
I have a 1979 140 HP Johnson O/B that has powered my 22' Starcraft for 32 years with min. maintenance....It has sat-up as long as a year while I re-built the boat, and with fresh gas, clean plugs, and a hot battery, it starts up in less than 4/6 revolutions!!! Sit an I/O up for a year and you are looking at a complete overhaul......
Gas consumption is directly related to the weight of your foot...I/O or O/B!!!
Lastly, and most important.....Check to find out what the PROPER gas/oil ratio needed for your engine!!! Too much oil will
foul the plugs and result in carbon deposits that you do not need.......and possibly leave you stranded!!!
The recommended Gas/oil ratio, weather 32/1, 50/1, or 100/1 is for operation at wide-open-throttle!!!! If I am going to do a lot of trolling, I carry a 6 gal. portable tank with abouit half the suggested oil to prevent plug fouling at slow speed....
then switching back to the main tank for higher speed operation......
At any rate..welcome to I-boats and the boating scene!!!! Do not hesitate to ask any question you have here...someone will ALWAYS know the answer!!!
P.S.
Remember B O A T stands for Break Out Another Thousand!!!

southkogs

Staff member

Sounds like a good choice of boat, especially for a starter. Now spring can't get here soon enough, eh?

Pics, brother ... Photos ... show yer' boat!

Congratulations.

I wouldn't say any thing bad about trihulls there great boats. sometimes even better then v hulls. if you plan on be out on the water in storms and such and rough weather then you don't want a trihull. But if your going out on clam days go for the tri hull. there so stable. Also more room then most vhulls the same size. Last thing, tri hull would be great for fishing and such you can have the whole crew on one side of the boat and it's still not big deal ive tested this and the boat tilled a little.

Rockmere1

Seaman

Great Choice On The Starcraft!!

UncleWillie

Captain

Someone is digging up the Archives again
This thread went to sleep six month ago! :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.