Best material for making a boat cover?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I really need to get a custom made cover for the Bayliner. Tarps are just not doing the job. Bought a new heavy duty tarp last summer, and already its coming apart where its horizontal on the boat and it gets full sun.

So... I'm thinking of having an upholstery shop make a cover for the boat, because I can't find a standard or semi-custom cover that will fit that 16' length with the hard top. (See the hard top in my signature below.)

Suggestions for a very sun resistant and water proof material? The cover will be on the boat all winter up here in the north and have to deal with ice and snow, as well as full sun exposure all summer.

I might even try my hand at sewing up the cover myself. Still have plenty of marine thread left over from making the Navy top for the MFG.

How long a life do the better cover materials have?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best material for making a boat cover?

Ayuh,.... Hi Mark,... Hands down Sunbrella is the Best material,...
It sews pretty easy too...

I'd still tarp over it in the winter though...

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Great deals on Sunbrella over at E-bay

45Auto

Commander

The original Sunbrella on my 1987 Sea Ray still looks brand new.

bear_69cuda

Commander

My cover was made with Top-Gun

Great strength and durability for storage in the elements, and holds up great for trailering. Not as breathable as Sunbrella, but I feel better weather resistance. My cockpit covers are Sunbrella, and their are nice but I get less water in my boat with the Top-Gun waterline cover.

29MAY2011%252520052.jpg

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How water tight are Sumbrella and Top Gun? Do they need regular water proofing treatments? From what I read, it looks like these are 11 oz materials. That's fairly heavy, no?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi mark....

sumbrella is the industry standard.
dont know about the weight of the cloth.
but i have just seen a sunbrella custom cover that is 30 years old....the owner washes it in the clothes washer twice a season (start and end of season)

why dont you make it your self?
stitch in leather corners...double reinforce any point load places.....then the fasteners can be any thing you want.
i have seen some boats that have a "belt" around them...(the belt is stitched in the cover)
mark....that system is slick......fast....easy....and somthing you could do in less than a day.
i am going to make one for my boat.....they are so simple....after you do yours....you can take out an add on craigs list and make some for others.......at a price$$$$....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What?? They don't make a custom fit cover for a 16' Bayliner Capri Hard Top? I find that hard to believe ;);):D

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The best material for a boat cover is metal. Around here $600 will get you a metal Carport.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The best material for a boat cover is metal. Around here $600 will get you a metal Carport.

I would like a carport to park the boat under. But they are not popular in the north east, and I cannot find a supplier in this area that sells carport kits. Shipping from suppliers in the south is expensive.

Home Depot has the corrugated fiberglass panels that can be used to build a carport, but they look pretty cheesy, and are questionable as to how well they will hold a snow/ice load.