pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So im looking at purchasing this 69 Glastron v150 with trailer and no outboard from a local fellow who got it in a trade a few years back.
He lost the title but can get ahold of the last known titled owner.
Its been in storage here in the high desert for awhile now and the floor seems solid, the transom seems solid and so does the hull.

My main question is since it doesnt have a O/B on it what are my options with getting an O/B that fits those johnson controllers ?
Can I get a different O/B and replace the controllers ?
Can I get a different O/B and use the same controllers?

See the purchase price on this boat and trailer is only $300 and thats perfect for this project I have in mind . Just dont want to be stuck with a boat thats gonna cost me $2000 to instal a O/B and or controllers.

As an auto mechanic Im proficient with motors but this field is new hence the large amount of what may seem like silly questions.
Thanx

IMG_20110615_130041.jpg

IMG_20110615_130054.jpg

IMG_20110615_130328.jpg

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

Re: pre purchase advice on 69 Glastron V150 with johnson controllers & no O/B motor

Wow.. that brings back memories.. I bought an identical boat.. I'd say $300 is a pretty good deal.. You're only half way there though. Watch the boats section of CraigsList for a used outboard. I believe the boat took up to a 90hp. You might want to check that though. See the aluminum capacity plate stamped inside. My Glastron had a 65HP and that was more than enough power for it. I wouldn't worry about the controls because more than likely the outboard you buy will have its own controls. You're probably looking to spend another $300 - $800 for a decent running outboard. Good Luck.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

That is in fact a V153 'Futura'. Great boat. But at that age you probly oughta plan on replacing the transom, stringers, etc. 'Less it was extremely well kept. Looks a lil rough around the edges but appears to be in origional condition. Should clean up nice. resizecgoa.jpgI like the virgin dashboard. Have the same steering wheel. That's a twin motor controller btw. 90hp max is correct. A pair of 45s perhaps ...?

Check out ClassicGlastron.com "the years" section for more factory pics & information. Best of luck!

mr 88

Commander

The twin controlers were for a kicker as I see the rod holders and no tell tale holes on the transom ,except for the 4 in a rectangular shape on the starboard corner where a kicker bracket would go. The boat would be a gas pig with twin 45's and the associated drag.Stick with one motor 65hp and up.As noted when engines are sold the controls should be part of the pkg.Wheel stays with boat and controls go with motor.

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanx for the info. Transom is in good shape from what Ive been told and he had it inspected at a local marine shop that said it was rated to a 90hp. Ij just ned to "drag" a wake boarder out of the water . lol Its me at 170lbs , my wife at 145lbs and my 9 year old son at 55 lbs along with the 60lb dog :) Think I might go for it.

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yes, I have been living on craigslist as of late and reading up on O/B building/tuning .

V153

Lieutenant Commander

poontoonb.jpgUhh, the pair of 45's thing was a joke ... Go with a single engine ...

Imo, shy of a 140 Evinrude, the best utilitarian motor for this hull would be a Yammi 90 3cyl 2 stroke. Breathed on a lil bit. 'Bout 50lbs lighter'n my crossflow.

Dream about gettin one & painting/decaling it to look like say a 60hp OMC. The cowls are quite similar.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just remember: the 90hp rating is for the boat in new condition at 1969. If the transom is substantially weaker it could break with a 90hp on it. It all depends on the condition. I had a '72 Glaspar tri-hull rated for 115hp. I got a couple hours of use with a 115hp engine before the transom broke. I should have stuck with a 90 or 100hp.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That dual control box you have there may be worth a nice chunk of change on ebay. Cool boat!

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ezmobee - thanx , I go to see it person today. Im probably gonna buy it since its only $300 for the boat and trailer . Ill put it in my shop and do some resto on it. We finally just got all the snow melted on the High Desert Lakes so the water is still very frigid. More than Likely I will pull the controllers right away and post on ebay . Use that money towards a new/used controller and O/B .Got the boat bug bad :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 3cylinder JohnnyRude '73 or newer would be a fantastic engine for that boat.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For $300 you cant go wrong. Only big problem you can have is the TITLE, assume you will never get it. Is not that big of a problem though as the state only wants to see a piece of paper. 2 years ago, I could have mailed you one as I never get rid of titles before I abandon a boat, I just drill and sand the numbers off before I tie it off in the mangroves.
Had the very same boat, ID. tag should be a piece of paper glued adjacent to the engine well, up underneath, right side. Mine had a 4 cyl, 40HP. MARINER. Worked well for me with just the wife and beer. Lots of good info on a GLASTRON / CARLSON collectors web site. Big claim to fame is a picture of LBJ driving one. You said its a project boat, do you mean to keep or sell it? I think 2K is reasonable to hang a decent motor, something in the range of 75 hp. should be more than sufficient. regards FRED

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Project = I plan to keep it till we outgrow it. It has to be a complete BUDGET minded boat as we are tight on funds and a $2k O/B is way to much. Somewhere between $200- $600 for an O/B and controller is what Im shooting for. I can do the work on the O/B if needed to bring it up to spec. Just needs to be able to drag myself and or the wife out of the water on a wakeboard .

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well...... I bought it :)

mayatan

Cadet

Nice boat!. That sure is a great price. See if you can find a 65 hp Merc for that baby. It is a solid engine and will push that Glastron nicely. Around here a 65 to 120 hp o/b running well will cost about 2K so if you can find one for under 1k, go for it!

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanx. a local marine facility here in Bend oregon Central Lakes Marine , has a used 80's Force 90hp O/B and controller for $450 . Ive heard good and bad things about this motor. ANybody care to indulge me in some info?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

thanx. a local marine facility here in Bend oregon Central Lakes Marine , has a used 80's Force 90hp O/B and controller for $450 . Ive heard good and bad things about this motor. ANybody care to indulge me in some info?

Don't buy it. Parts and service are hard to find and only getting worse. If you had one for free we'd certainly help you keep it going but I would definitely not advise you to buy one.

mayatan

Cadet

Stay away from Force. May the Force not be with you. I have had a few buddies back in the late 80's that got Bayliners which teamed up with Force and they all had nothing but problems with those Engines. From 90 to 150 hp they all were bad. you are better off with a 1966 Chrysler than any Force!

tunerauto

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good to know. Thanx. Also the Boat is registered as a 1972 Glastron V153 Futura , not a 69.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

May want to wait for the motor budget to improve a few hundred at least. The engine will be one of the most important things on your new baby. Going on the cheap side will not usually be a wise move. Nothing worse than re-powering with too small or too used of a motor. Boats are expensive to keep running well. I really like the one you picked.