What is the problem with Bayliner?

Makofanatic

Cadet
Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

HEY, I SOLD ANOTHER 5 TODAY GUYS, BAYLINER IS JUST FILLING UP THE WATER THIS MONTH.<br /><br />I'M JUST LOVING THE FACT THAT ALL OF YOU BAYLINER BASHERS ARE GETTING SO WORKED UP OVER A BOAT.<br /><br />WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH IF YOU HATE BAYLINER SO MUCH THEN DON'T BUY ONE WE ARE SELLING ENOUGH AS IT IS TO PEOPLE WHO WANT VALUE FOR THIER MONEY AND THEY ALL SEEM TO BE HAPPY WITH THIER PURCHASES.<br /><br />I THINK THAT YOU WANT THIER BOATS TO BREAK SO YOU CAN FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE FACT THAT YOU SPENT TWICE AS MUCH AS THEY DID ON YOUR BOATS AND YET YOU ARE BOTH GETTING THE SAME THING FOR YOUR MONEY.<br /><br />THE BOTTOM LINE GUYS,IS THIS,WHAT YOU ARE REALY BUYING IS NOT THE BOAT YOU ARE BUYING THE WATER THAT YOU ARE GOING OUT ON,YOU ARE BUYING THE EXPIRIENCE OF CATCHING A FISH OUT TO SEA,THE TIME WITH THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS,THE DESTINATIONS THAT YOU CAN TRAVEL TO ON THE WATER,ECT,ECT,ECT<br /><br />AND GUES WHAT GUYS NO MATER WHAT BOAT YOU HAVE OR HOW BIG IT IS,YOU ARE GETTING THE SAME PRODUCT (THE FUN) SO TAKE A CHILL PILL OUT ON YOUR BOAT WHATEVER IT IS AND ENJOY THE WATER BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT ALL OF US BOATERS ARE REALY PAYING FOR ANYWAY :p

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

An obvious Troll...And shouting to boot.<br />Glad to hear buisness is doing well.Other than that, huh?

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just Sold my Scout 172 Sportfish. Picking up my new Trophy 2103 tomorrow. Can't wait. Yes, Scouts are very good boats and have a good reputation. I really liked mine, but wanted a bigger boat. My Scout also had minor problems such as screws comming loose, spider cracks, and a minor crack in the transom that many people on this board are whining about. Liked my old boat and am sure I'll like my new one just as much. :D

Makofanatic

Cadet

RJS,<br /><br />YOU WILL LOVE THE 2103 TROPHY IT IS ONE TOUGH CENTER CONSOLE CONGRADULATIONS ON A GOOD PURCHASE :)

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makofanatic,<br /><br />Never intended on purchasing the Trophy. Once I saw it and what you get for the money, the choice was obvious. :)

altjimwilson

Cadet

I have looked at a few used 22-24 foot bayliners, most recently a wellcraft, searay and a celebrity. All boats 1990-1996.<br /><br />Most of these boats have a 5.7 and a merc - that's the same on ANY of these boats!!!! So in my opinion the quality is mostly cosmestic (except the wood stringers on older boats) The difference I saw on the bayliners that I didn't see on the others is below:<br /><br />More spider cracks.<br />Cracked or faded plastic parts.<br />Seams coming loose.<br />Screws where bolts should be, etc...<br /><br />With all that said, if this was my first boat I would consider the bayliner and just get those things fixed - and keep up with this other little things that go wrong which are MOSTLY ALL COSMETIC! I hear the newer bayliners are better, but time will tell.<br /><br />I hate to say it, but my biggest fear of a bayliner is crap I would take from my friends. I think bayliners are a good boat for the price overall, but perception is reality.<br /><br />NOW HERE'S ANOTHER THOUGHT! MANY BAYLINER OWNERS ARE FIRST TIME BOATERS (BECAUSE OF COST). THEREFORE, THESE BOATS MAY TAKE A LITTLE EXTRA ABUSE! THEY MAY NOT GET MAINTAINED AS THEY SHOULD! THEREFORE THEY WILL BE IN THE SHOP MORE!<br /><br />ALSO, IF YOU PAY $70,000 FOR A NEW COBALT, YOU JUST MIGHT TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR INVESTMENT THAN YOU WOULD A NEW $20,000 BAYLINER!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

1989 Bayliner Cobra bass rig. He only paid 600buks for it, so ha has a good trailer.And we got the 50HP Force running. Now, all we need is a place to put the seats...A complete re-decking job.<br />
cobra2.jpg

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

Why don't we put this to REST, they have a bad rap from the eariler years,they solved the problem, they are a good boat for the $$$, and that's it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Good idea, Pursuit.Besides, one picture speaks volumes, and I've said my peace.

fishfin

Recruit

Hello, We own a 1996, 2858 Bayliner Flybridge. Prior to this year we also owned a 1999 Grady-White. We recently purchased a 2002 Boston Whaler. I think the thing with Bayliner is people have to be reasonable in their expectations. I would not expect my Bayliner to be the quality of my Grady or Whaler. I paid half of what those brands cost. However, if someone is realistic and treats the vessil with care they should be able to get many years of enjoyment from it.<br />I do feel it is unfair that some people make inaccurate comments or try to look down their noses at Bayliners, however, they are still the world's largest boat builder so they must be filling a nitch somewhere. I know they do for my family.

JS2

Seaman Apprentice

I would feel uncomfortable spending $20,000 or more for a new Bayliner which only comes with a 5 year (limited) hull warranty. A $12,000 Hyundai automobile comes with a 10 year warranty. If Bayliner wants to better it's public image, the company might want to stand behind it's products a little better.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bayliner's have a 10 year limited hull warranty, but this does not cover hull blisters below the waterline...what up with that. :eek: I keep mine on a trailer, therefore, I'm not concerned that this will be an issue. :)

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a great thread! Love/Hate Bayliner! No theory here, just experience. Asked to repair a 1986 Bay over 20'with a hole in the hull under the helm seat, this is what I saw.<br />1)-the "carpet" is not the usual carpet-marine backed (rubber coated). It is unbacked headliner. No water proofing here, just holds water against the-<br />2)-1/2" untreated plywood floor, no coating at all, most builders will put a skin coat-like one layer of ounce and half glass and resin or at least resin coat the raw wood top and bottom. A lot of builders that still use wood use a treated (XL)wood and in 5/8 or 3/4 thickness glassed.<br />3)-Being over 20', there is no Coast Guard<br />requirement to "float", so there is no foam-none! Say Captain-How many in your party? All can swim for hours in 50 deg water,right?<br />The better boats have all the foam they can hold-stronger structure, quieter ride, more cost, and they usually float The 1980's boats were like Hugo cars, maybe the 1990's advanced some. Bottom line is they build a good looking (your call) boat with the cheapest materials and don't look beneath the surface for industry comparable<br />practices. For no more use than some boats get, spending most of there life on the trailer in the garage, storage unit, or rack<br />storage, cheap stuff can last forever. Look<br />at the vinyl on boats that have seen a good look at the sun. And RJS, you said you yours is on a trailer? If you use it once a week and have carpet on your trailer bunks, bet you have blisters over the carpet! If you have a roller type trailer, bet you have dents where the rollers touch the hull.<br />It ain't a Chevy or a Ford. It is what it is,<br />and priced accordingly. To new buyers, they<br />all look the same-Bayliner/Sea Ray/Wellcraft/<br />etc. If they fill the need great, just understand they are not all the same and you tend get what you pay for.<br />Backfire <br /> <br /><br /> ;)

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

Ever since brunswick bought them and Searay, quality seems to have gone downhill. I have seen the hull weights drop in the Bay-Rays for years. Also I hate the way the market is tricking us by counting the molded in swim platforms and bow pulpits, as total length of boat. 21 to 23 foot boats of today are really 19 footers when you measure keel. All <br />this cheapening and less weight leads to a boat that cannot handle the conditions of years past. Brunswick probably got cost down but with customers having to rescrew/glue all the hardware down every 25 hours, you are going to lose the serious buyers.

JS2

Seaman Apprentice

According to the brochures I picked up at recent boat shows, the Bayliner brand boats only come with a 5 year hull warranty. The Trophy brand boats come with a 10 year hull warranty. When I asked a Bayliner salesman why there is a difference in hull warranties, he had no answer.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My impression is that B'liners are "price" boats. <br /><br />It is unreasonable to expect a "price" boat to be built with the quality of materials and processes, quality of fittings and materials or fit and finish of a Boston Whaler or Grady White that sell for so many thousands more.<br /><br />Back in the late 60s Toyota had a marketing slogan that sounded a bit like "The Japanese Mercedes". It failed miserably. <br /><br />People were disappointed with Toyotas then and they are disappointed with Bayliners now.<br /><br />Bayliners would have much higher customer satisfaction if they understood what they were getting from the outset.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Well said, JB. The key point is that there is not the same general understanding among many first time boaters as to the quality of construction and fit and finish between the boat brands as there is for, say, autos for example. And it is not as easy to find trusted and unbiased sources of information. <br /><br />Makofanatic, it is highly specious to suggest that buyers of bayliners are buying the same experience as a buyers of Chapparal, Formula, or Cobalt. Their experiences will be as dissimilar as buyers of Honda and Mercedes. Yes, both have bought transportation, but the similarities end there.