What is the problem with Bayliner?

mad mahi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

Makofanatic-<br /><br /><br />The fact that the old president of Sea Ray is in charge of manufacturing at BL does not impress me. He may have the know-how, the experience and the ability to produce a better product. But he can only do that within the confines that the corporation (Brunswick) will allow. And let's face facts. The profit line controls what he is allowed to do. <br /><br />I have lived, fished and even worked in some of the busiest maritime areas on Long Island where recreational and commercial boating interests are vast. The general consensus about the Bayliner is forged from its past reputation up here, and so far not much has been done to show that anything is changed.<br /><br />I have a very close and dear friend who owns a 1968 42' Hatteras and is a part of close-knit group of Hatteras owners. A number of these owners have bought newer boats from the Brunswick line, and to a man, all have been disappointed. <br /><br />In my marina, I have seen and heard similar stories involving the new generation of SeaRays and Whalers. Owners of the older boats bought the newer versions and while they haven't said that they regret the move, I keep hearing "It's not the same as when I first got the old boat. This isn't what I thought, or I thought this would be better, the fit could have been better, this is now plastic, etc." All sure signs of a big business cutting corners to produce profit. Bayliner needs better PR and something solid to back that PR before Bayliners reputation will improve.<br /><br />I surf a lot of forums and I see the same complaints from different people in all areas of the US with the same complaints and opinions.<br /><br />Old or new, Bayliner or Trophy, the rep is not good. <br /><br />On another string on this site, I offered that JD POWERS (totally free of any advertising revenue bias) rates the TROPHY as only marginally better than BAYLINER, which has the lowest rankings of all boats they reviewed in all aspects considered.<br /><br />Individuals I know that are responsible for saving lives and boats at sea, have also expressed wonderment at how or why people buy Bayliner. <br /><br />As far as getting what you pay for, that's definitely true. The Bayliners are an easy boat to get into, money wise. And that appeals to the vast majority of boat owners. I concur that most of them can hardly afford a boat to begin with, Then when it comes to time and money for maintenance, which even the most expensive boats need, they don't perform it properly or often enough. That results in boats that break down, look terrible, rot, crack etc. And I believe that adds to the "bad boat " rap.<br /><br />And, yes, there are lots of Bayliners, old and new, that hold up well. But my opinion is that the owners of those boats are putting LOTS of time into preventive maintenance and upkeep. Or persevering through numerous and sometimes lengthy downtime incidents. And from knowing and talking to a decent number of those owners, they do a lot more on their Bays to prevent problems than the bare bones MINIMUM that owners of boats like SEASWIRL, GRADY, PURSUIT, WELLCRAFT, Pro-LINE, and HYDRAPORTS are doing. And the least cared for boats are on a par with the best maintained Bays.<br /><br />When I talk to Bay owners, more often than not, they consider NOT doing things with their boats that a lot of other boat owners don't even think about. There is a lot of consideration put into how far out, how hard is the wind blowing, what's the wave height, will it be a snotty ride back, how many people and how much gear are we bringing.<br /> Personally, I want to know what a boat can safely do, NOT what it probably can't.<br /><br />Lastly, resale value. No doubt about it, the rep out there is if you buy one you won't get a good trade in when you’ve had enough of it. The only place to get a somewhat better deal is by trading in for a new BAYLINER. And, yes, there are a lot of second and third Bayliner owners, too.<br /><br />And I don't have an any idea why someone would do that!

Makofanatic

Cadet

Gues what Guys,<br /><br />I sold 20 bayliners this week i gues that is all that is important :)

f_inscreenname

Commander

1st My brother owns a 1985 24'(he uses his marina because it has a pool).He dosent know how to change his oil. He can check it and "have it changed"$$$$$$$. That is the perfect example of what I see as a bayliner owner.<br /> 2nd Like it was said before,in a 3 foot chop a bayliner feels like its comming apart. My Larson with a hole in her side, half full of water with a 351 winsor sceeming for the boat ramp didnt feel as bad as his boat on a normal day. I also have a 30 year old John Allmand Super Nova that is made better then any boat I have ever owned and it had spent most of its life off the coast of New York (ocean side) and still hard as a rock.

mad mahi

Seaman Apprentice

Makofanatic-<br /><br />I'm very happy to hear you sold 20 Bays. <br /><br />If the quality, materials and craftmanship were improved, even slightly,you would probably sell 50!<br /><br />Nah, let me retract that statement. If the quality were improved, than Brunswick would up the price by some corporate multiplier and then 15 of those buyers couldn't afford one and we would only have 5 new owners who still don't know what they are doing.<br /><br />My friends at the towing companies will be happy to hear that you are giving them job security. Keep selling!

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Bayliner and have had no problems. So what if they are targeted for entry-level owners? They have to start somewhere. Just because you have heard nothing but heresay on their past does not mean they are just as bad now. Perhaps you should stop imparting your negative opinions upon others, instead how about objective, factual opionions?

Anchor Man

Cadet

Just think Mako, you probably won't even have to deal with them anymore after closing the sale. But, the service department, General Manager, and receptionist will be sick and tired of them calling and whining about their problems. I guess you can say "20 Bayliners sold = 16 unhappy customers and 4 too dumb to know better"

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Have a 96 Trophy 1703 and really have not had any structural problems to date. I cannot speak for the older boats but the newer ones are solid as a rock and perform flawlessly. The only problem I have had was the top cover of the transom cracked which turned out to be just cosmetic. But I have put my boat through 5 foot seas at 20knots and came home in one piece with no structural damage I have swamped the boat more than I would like to think and the water just flowed out. Have nosed it into a 5foot breaking wave and survived so for all of those out there who want to ***** about Trophy quit *****in and don't buy one. But a lot of us cannot afford a Grady White or a Boston Whaler so we buy what we can afford. And for the most part we are all satisfied. I'm not saying they are as good a boat as a BW or GW but they get the job done and I would put my boat up against any other boat it's size, I bet I'll catch as many fish, handle the same waves have the same amount of maint as any other boat on this forum. :mad: <br /><br /> Just my opinion take it with a grain of salt.

thomose

Cadet

I have to sat this thread cracks me up with all the trashing of Bayliner. This past summer I was introduced to the wonderful world of boating thanks to the great deal I got on my Bayliner. It's a 21' Trophy that was a 1 owner who took great care of it. Structurally and mechanically it is just fine thanks to the care she's been given over the years. I am not saying I'll never own anything else, but I will say I would never have had the experience of becoming introduced to the boating world without the deal I got on my "first boat" a Bayliner.<br /> TK :)

Bajass235

Cadet

I must admit I was a " bayliner basher "<br />But I also have to admit that there production methods have come a long way since the (line the bay days ) go for a newer model and you'll be OK Buy an 80's<br />bayliner/force combo and well you know the rest.

TxRiverRat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trollhole,<br /><br />Don't you know you will never catch more fish than anyone on that Bayliner unless you own some polarized Jimmy Houston sunglasses? The boat has nothing to do with it - it's the glasses man... :D

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

Hey TxRiverRat,<br />If I were a blind man with no arms a cane pole and a rubber raft with a Bayliner sticker on the side I still could catch just as many fish as you and probably more! It's not the boat that catches fish and especially not the glasses; it's the technique and the person behind the rod. :mad: <br /><br /> Just my opinion take it with a grain of salt.

jbaugh

Recruit

If you are not aware of the history and market approach of Bayliner, you should not be reping them.<br />Strickly a price boat, that has put a lot of people in boats.<br />I read some favorable reviews about some of the motor yacths, these puppies are in the $400,000 range. (maybe 360)<br />One the other side of the coin, quality in boats cost, and cost big.<br />Someone has to make a price boat, it is a big market out there. Bayliner does not have the exclusive on price boats, there are a LOT of them out there.

wyattm

Seaman Apprentice

First thing is any one who says they are a sales counslor for boats should go to the bottom of the list. Why are you just a boat saleman - there is nothing wrong with selling boats of any kind. The problem with bayliners are they use the same windshield for a 15 footer as they do for a 20 footer. The Bayliner Cuddy Cabins aren't very safe, the cabin is dome and people like to sit up there when the boat is moving and its very easy to roll off. Bayliner matches to small of an engine to most of there boats. I have not looked at one recently but bayliner use to have only two stringer in their hauls, over a period of time this result in hull tort (twisted hull) once this happen the boat doesn't perform up to par. The upholstry doesn't hold up to the elements very well, bayliner doesn't use stainless steel staples, windshield and other hardward are mounted by using a screw gun and just running screws into the fiberglass, no backing plates are nuts. There are more bayliners listed in the local papers for resale that any other boat made - that leads me to believe people are getting rid of them for a reason. I will say there are other boats built the same way. And yes people get what they pay for. I have been around boats for 30 years, and yes I was a boat saleman at one time and a service manager for a boat dealer (renkens and marthons) same class as Bayliners. I own a Grady and there are only a couple of boats in the Grady class and yes you pay for it. Happy boating.

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't bother reading every reply here, seen them all a hundred times. Bayliners plain suck! Seen plenty of these floating sponges, leaking everywhere, and coming apart at the seams. To sum it up quick they have very poor craftmanhsip from start to finish. Bayliner makes a pretty boat that I would spend the day on the lake with (I'm sure the ladies like em), but I wouldn't consider venturing into any kind of rough water with these pieces of crap. These boats are the Bic Razor of the boating industry!

CROOSET

Cadet

...Got it !..get a good quality boat producer to make the Trophy designs ! ... the Skoda / BMW phenom..

Capt AK

Recruit

We have a 1998 Bayliner 2452. The only boat We were able to find with all of the features we needed and wanted without having to spend double or more. I don't think any 24 foot boat is worth $89,000. That is what a comparable boat from S**S**** would have costed me and it was the next priced boat.<br /><br />The 2452 is not my first boat and will not be my last. Our next boat will be of the 32 foot plus variety.<br /><br />As far as a boat breaking up in three foot seas, please give me specific details; Dates, Locations, Year of Boat, Model of Boat, etc. I have had mine in 3-4 foot seas on a regular basis and have had no cracks, no breakage and no problems. <br /><br />We were caught in 8 foot seas once, for about 7nm, and the ride was comfortable at 22 knots. I did not take much of a pounding and the boat performed perfectly. BTW, the only other boat we saw in the same area was another Bayliner. The Maxims and SEA RAYS headed into a cove. Talked with one of them and they said it was too rough for them. Hmmm...makes you wonder.<br /><br />Also, I have a USCG liscence and have run charter boats in the past. So, I am not a rookie when it comes to boating. Have been on boats as long as I can remember.<br /><br />As far as the boats that are for sale in the papers and some say "Most are Bayliners", Could it be that it's because Bayliner sells the most Boats? Just a thought. <br /><br />Just my $.02 worth.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure there are people out there that have bought Bayliners that were not happy with their boat and for the most part you could say that about any manufacturer but I believe the people who have replied negatively to this post are missing the big picture. Sure bayliners are not built to the high standards that other high end manufactureres use but on the other hand they are not priced as high. Remember you get what you pay for. As for all the complainers out there I'm sure they own high end quality boats and that's fine but lets compare apples to apples. You can say bayliner suc** but suc* compared to what? Find me a manufacturer that sells as many boats and for the same price and features and has better quality. Lets remember some boats are made to last a life time, and thats fine if you want to have the same old boat the rest of your life. Some boats are made to serve a purpose for a limited time at a reasonable price and I believe that's bayliner. So quit complaining about bayliner go out and wax your 20 year old Boston Whaler and be happy. At least I can say I didn't pay to much for my boat and I'm happy with the quality. And who knows with a little care maybe 20 years from now I'll be waxing the same boat. :mad:

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

O.K. Please explain the following.... Just what the hell IS a "boat counselor"????? Why does it differ from a "boat salesperson"????? I'm tempted to say/ask more but will not !! I'm am pleased for you that you sold a few hundred this week, I just hope you are able to follow through on all the "follow-up" work that each "deal" requires.

Anchor Man

Cadet

Maybe he's called a counselor because of all the "counseling" he has to do for the new owners after the purchase.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

he's just trying to help. But he shouldn't have said he sold x number of boats this week that sounds like he trying to brag. A little advice for those of you out there who are affiliated with boat manufactures keep your comment factual no opinions. It can only do you and your company harm. I already have a couple of companies monitoring this site to try to help us boaters out but I told them to keep their opinions at home and only give us the facts. And not brag about their boats or engines it just makes them look stupid. :mad: