What is the problem with Bayliner?

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: What is the problem with Bayliner?

Revived a 5 year old post...

Since it is here, yes Bayliner had a bad rep for some of its early production run, due to alot of reasons, but mostly cheap production. Just not quality work. They have improved, they just need to let folks know that and try to rebuild their rep...

EDIT: I did nto revive this post. Another first time user did, now his post has disappeared. Go figure...

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

If you don't want to own one then don't!! go buy another used boat that has just as many problems for the same year. I see just as many other boats that are older with as many problems as Bayliner has because the previous owner were a bunch of ignorant dumb afts who don't know shoot and now people are fixing the same crap I am, Go figure!!

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

nothing anymore. I fixed all the probs. all of 'em:p

knock on wood

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

The same thing that is wrong with most boats PEOPLE..particularly bad owners. Bayliner put out more boats at an entry level and nothing wrong with that but just think of what percentage of owners would go for such a boat.

Force motors had/have a pretty bad rep and maybe bad enough to tarnish the entire bayliner line. I dont really have much to say about that though ;)

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any recommendations on keeping a solid Bayliner in solid condition?

And/or improving on a Bayliner that's not rotted out?

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Keep it covered and dry. I would consider removing carpet if it exists in the boat(holds water) and painting with nonskid paint. Just take care of it in general and your boat is a 1996 and made pretty well.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hurray for bad reps! Keeps the cost down and people away so I can own a well kept, excellent boat that does everything the other brands do for 1/3 the cost (or in my case, get 2/3 more boat than I normally could afford).

Bayliner is cheap and sucks, spread the FUD! :p

DavidW2009

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply, xxturbowesxx. It's been 35 years since this newbie poster has had a boat in the water. The Bayliner has put back into it.

Before that, I use to almost live on my father's 26' Chris Craft cabin cruiser on Lake Erie in the short summer. We never had to worry about structural integrity going into those fast moving storm waves that could whip up in a few minutes (always from the west). The old C.C. had a double plank mahogoney hull and a Gray Marine engine. Never let us down.

This new world (to me) of cracking stringers and rotted cores in these 'glass boats is a little unnerving. And I thought wooden boats needed a lot of TLC....

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

So hows your 1994 Bayliner 3055 30' holden up?? Happy with it??

Don't know how I could be happier. :D

An engine compartment I could almost eat off of. Never a drop of water in the boat/bilge, and no engine drips. Biggest complaint: Uses about a teaspoon of lower unit/gear oil every hour of use.
Starts up easy considering carbed, gas isn't bad. Was on plane prob 2.5 hours on Saturday, used 1/4 tank (about 70-80 bucks, marina gas prices). Bravo II, 7.4L merc, all running as they should.
Nothing better than coming back and having ice cold drinks in the fridge, A/C that's cold, a stove that works awesome, a toilet, a sink, and my addition -- a blender for making margaritas! Turn on the tunes and relax... 3 battery charger means no worries in a cove overnight or at the slip. Windless anchor, 8 screened windows/hatches, endless storage, IMO one of the best layouts for a cruiser this size, queen mid-cabin, no rips/stains/tears, full snap in carpet, super clean, etc. I could go on and on!

I love my Bayliner, and plan too for YEARS to come. Bonus: Because of the rep, I could pay cash. PO left shore power cables, PFDs, and about $1500 worth of necessities on the boat (safety items, spare prop, tons of line, sunbrella cover, bimini, etc).
Boat is 16 years old w/520 hours of use on the engine. Good thing these Bayliners just don't hold up like all the "other" brands. :D Can I find spider cracks if I look real hard? Sure. Does the windshield rattle at low speed? Yep. Is the boat 16 years old and that's the worst of it? Yes again.

puddleboater

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! This has got to be the oldest thread I've ever seen. It needs to be renamed the "never dying Bayliner" thread!!!:D :eek:

Sorry for beating this dead horse, but I'll chime in anyway.

I use to own two bayliners (yes, go ahead and bash me :D) and now own a 1969 OMC runabout. I don't know snot about this old OMC boat, but it surely has seen better days. Anyway, back to Bayliner. I bought both boats brand new, the first one back in 1994. As soon as I gave the check to the salesman that SOB at the dealership just couldn't wait to get me out the door! I asked the rep what things do I need to do to keep my new boat in good shape. He did say to flush the motor after use in saltwater, other than that, he didn't even say anything about caring for the hull or covering the boat when it rains nor did he say anything about repacking the trailer bearings at least once a year.

I used that boat for a couple of years, fishing for salmon off the coast of Northern California. We caught our share of fish on that boat and had no problems with it whenever we went fishing. Eventually, a wheel bearing blew up and caused a wheel to shudder violently. A few years later, after a downpour, when I drained the boat I noticed the water to be dark brown. It wasn't until years later that I'd learned that letting fresh water sit in the hull eventually will rot the stringers. The more I read about what not to do with boats, the more I realized that a lot of problems that I hear about bayliners, whether built today or twenty years ago, has a lot to do with the lack of information the bayliner dealerships gave to their clients. Shame on Bayliner and it's utter disregard for customer service! :mad:

With regards to my second boat, it was a 20 foot Trophy that I also bought brand new. I had that boat for twelve years, have taken it out to forty miles offshore, in some instances pounding our way back to shore through eight foot seas. That boat had it's quality issues, like some instruments malfunctioning after the first month, to one side panel in the cuddy coming loose due to the tiny screws used to secure it. However, having used that boat in heavy seas for several years, I've never experienced a problem with the 150 HP Merc (other than the usual cold-starting problem that Mercs seem to have) nor did the hull suffer any structural problems. On a couple of occasions, I did remove that loose panel and took a peek below deck and did note that the stringers were fully encapsulated by glass. Not that that in itself is really reassuring, as I've read some articles from BoatUS magazine and also have seen video on Youtube of other brands of boats having osmosis blisters on fully encapsulated stringers. It turns out that any and all boats are susceptible to these blisters and rot.

To sum it all up. If I had the money and had to do it all over, I personnally would opt for a higher end boat such as GW and the like. However, I also must emphasize that under the circumstances regarding my purhcase of Bayliner boats, a little perspective needs to be in place: My very first boat was an old 1961 15 foot Dorsett. When I use to take that fishing offshore, the hull would flex so much that it felt like I was driving an inflatable through the waves. The hull just would flap and vibrate away! When I bought that first Bayliner, the hull was not only nice to look at, but it was by every means more rigid and seaworthy than what I had previously owned. Sure, it wasn't a Boston Whaler, but then again, it was better than the old Dorsett that I was driving.

Peace

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I think you'd get more people buying Bayliners if the boats didn't say BAYLINER on them. Just sayin'.