Yamaha Ring Free

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
My next door neighbor works for my local Chaparral dealer. He told me he uses Yamaha Ring Free in his boat, truck, lawnmower, weed trimmer, chainsaw... Everything he owns with a motor. I picked up a bottle. Havn't used the boat since putting it in the fuel tank; but I put a little in my truck yesterday morning before filling my gas tank. I ran my tank down to 3 gallons. It's a 26 gallon tank. I put 2 or 3 ounces of Ring Free before filling (1 ounce per 10 gallons).

My truck ran very slightly rough, and rpms seemed slightly higher than usual for the first 1/2 mile. It smoothed out and now runs like it it did when I first got it, maybe better. I got the truck with almost 45,000 miles on it. It's got almost 136,000 now. Looking forward to seeing the effect (if noticable) on my boat. I'm going to start using this stuff on all my motors.

Just thought I'd share this info. I've tried a lot of "snake oils". This one works great!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha Ring Free

I use it in my Yam 2 stroke. I am told it is about the same as seafoam

robert graham

Admiral

Ringfree is made for Yamaha by the Oronite Additives Division of Chevron, same folks that make Techron for automotive applications. I believe the Ringfree was developed originally and primarily to prevent carbon build up on the piston rings and grooves in 2 stroke outboard motors, hence the name "Ringfree". I believe Ringfree and Techron are similar but not the same. The Techron may be better for your automotive and other 4 stroke applications. Good Luck!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Manual for my Yamaha F115 (4-stroke) also calls for use of Ringfree.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I use it in my 2 stroke Yami....excellant stuff to use.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use it in my Yamaha Snowmobile. Can't really say if it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or snake oil. I will tell you it's not the same as Seafoam. Seafoam is very low viscosity - like water. Ring Free is more like syrup consistency. As for chemical make up, I couldn't tell you.

robert graham

Admiral

The Ringfree is called an Amine, while most other products according to:Marine Fuel Additives, are Petroleum Naphtha, Mineral Spirits(Stoddard Solvent/Paint Thinner), Isopropyl Alcohol, Petroleum Distillates(???), who knows what else? The Ringfree, Seafoam and Stabil have been around a good while and are all pretty well proven and accepted. I've use Ringfree and Stabil in my 1999 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke since it was new, never any problems at all. So far, so good!

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as I can remember there have been additives to throw in your gas tank and crankcase. WINNS FRICTION PROOFING, MARVEL MYSTERY OIL, STP products. Do they work? Who knows, the MFG says so. Naturally if a mfg. has a product with their name on it, fomoco, mopar, gm, they are going to recommend you use it just like YAMAHA.
For years now I have been using YAMAHA RING FREE in my 50 MERC 2 stroke. I have no idea if it makes a difference but I do get that warm, fuzzy feeling that I am doing something special and the motor will not quit. Also have a F 115 that I see no point in using any additives in. Millions of 4 strokes have been running the roads for years with pump gas and oil changes, same thing that goes into my 4 stroke O/B.
Allow me to add that unless things have changed, you are not allowed to use any additives in aircraft piston engines. That is where reliability and wear are somewhat important. regards FRED

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I've used Seafoam in the truck several times. It works well, but not as well as Lucas Gas Conditioner, and nothing like Yamaha Ring Free. Of course, different additives will work differently for different engines, under different conditions; but for now, at least, I'm stoked about Ring Free!!!:D

Robert, I've used Techron for years. It works well, very well. I've never had anything, including Techron and Lucas, have such a positive effect on an engine.

Thank you for your responses. It's great to hear from others with good experiences with this product.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have used "engine restorer", the silver can at the auto parts store, many times in old tired engines.... often it has made a HUGE difference..... Many years ago I had an old chevy celebrity with a 2.8 that topped out at 65 mph and got about 15 mpg.... changed plugs and wires and gained very little.... about a month later I added the engine restorer and within a couple days it was able to hit 90 plus and over the next couple tanks fuel mileage went to about 30 mpg....

Lucas has worked wonders on old diesels for me and seafoam is great stuff

I'll add ringfree to my list.... lucas, seafoam, stabil, engine restorer, ringfree

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Although I don't know this for sure, I have heard that one of the branded OB oils, maybe merc? has an additive similar to ringfree already in it.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I have used "engine restorer", the silver can at the auto parts store, many times in old tired engines.... often it has made a HUGE difference..... Many years ago I had an old chevy celebrity with a 2.8 that topped out at 65 mph and got about 15 mpg.... changed plugs and wires and gained very little.... about a month later I added the engine restorer and within a couple days it was able to hit 90 plus and over the next couple tanks fuel mileage went to about 30 mpg....

Lucas has worked wonders on old diesels for me and seafoam is great stuff

I'll add ringfree to my list.... lucas, seafoam, stabil, engine restorer, ringfree

I've used Engine restore myself. I agree. Great stuff. Didn't get nearly the results you got, but my engine obviously didn't have the same level of issues.

You've got a great list there!!! When you try Ring Free, please let us know whether or not it moves up in your list...;)

robert graham

Admiral

The problem with Ringfree in an outboard motor is that if it worked then there is no carbon in the motor...but maybe there wouldn't have been any without using it?...so we'll never know...I prefer not to roll the dice with my motor, so I'll just keep using it. Good Luck!

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

As long as I can remember there have been additives to throw in your gas tank and crankcase. WINNS FRICTION PROOFING, MARVEL MYSTERY OIL, STP products. Do they work? Who knows, the MFG says so. Naturally if a mfg. has a product with their name on it, fomoco, mopar, gm, they are going to recommend you use it just like YAMAHA.
For years now I have been using YAMAHA RING FREE in my 50 MERC 2 stroke. I have no idea if it makes a difference but I do get that warm, fuzzy feeling that I am doing something special and the motor will not quit. Also have a F 115 that I see no point in using any additives in. Millions of 4 strokes have been running the roads for years with pump gas and oil changes, same thing that goes into my 4 stroke O/B.
Allow me to add that unless things have changed, you are not allowed to use any additives in aircraft piston engines. That is where reliability and wear are somewhat important. regards FRED

Winn's, now there's one I havn't heard about in a long time. Good stuff from what I remember.

Good point about aircraft regs. Didn't know that. I've been told by more than one Dodge mechanic, just put what the manufacturer recomends in your Dodge. Dodge doesn't recomend any additives. When an additive improves performance, though... It seems to make sense. I'm no mechanic, though. I don't really know whether it's making an improvement or masking something. I will continue to use it, though. My boat's almost twenty years old. She purrs like a kitten and screams like an eagle!!! I've never used Ring Free or any additive other than Marine Stabil. I just put some in the tank the day before yesterday. I don't anticipate being able to notice a difference in performance. I'll certainly keep you posted, though. Probably won't take the boat out again until the St Augustine get together in June. I'm working some pretty insane hours lately.

The problem with Ringfree in an outboard motor is that if it worked then there is no carbon in the motor...but maybe there wouldn't have been any without using it?...so we'll never know...I prefer not to roll the dice with my motor, so I'll just keep using it. Good Luck!

Don't see that as a problem...:D

I too, like to take the best possible care of things... Family, vehicle, boat... In that order, too.;)

Oh, and let's not forget the house!!!:rolleyes:

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I've been hooked!I've used it since 07, previous owner used it on my motor, 4 stroke, and recommended I continue, I just bought a bottle of the new Ring Free Plus, Its synthetic and "Formulated for E10 fuels" and $18.95 for 12 oz.The dealer said they no longer make the old Ring Free and I would'nt need to ad the blue E10 Stabil if I used the new Yamaha R/F.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I've been hooked!I've used it since 07, previous owner used it on my motor, 4 stroke, and recommended I continue, I just bought a bottle of the new Ring Free Plus, Its synthetic and "Formulated for E10 fuels" and $18.95 for 12 oz.The dealer said they no longer make the old Ring Free and I would'nt need to ad the blue E10 Stabil if I used the new Yamaha R/F.

Yes... It's 18.95 for the 12oz size at my Chaparral Dealer. 36.95 for the 32oz. Less than double the price, and 8oz more than double the amount. That's huge when you consider that 1oz treats 10 gallons.