Aluminum HIN

begs811

Recruit
Ok I was looking to see if my boat I bought had a HIN and everywhere I read the HIN should be 12 characters long.... The one on my boat is only 6 numbers long and starts with 1 letter than a space then 5 numbers is this the actual HIN number?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Aluminum HIN

How old is the boat?
Manufacturers used whatever serial number system they wanted until 1974.

begs811

Recruit

I dont know what year it is... all i know is that it is an AeroCraft.. which tells me that it is not older that a 74 cause that is when the got bought out then it went to browning....

the letter is R which i thought was the model letter but cant find it anywhere, and read on iboats the 5 digits is the production number so my boat would be 74,992nd boat made..

if anyone could help that would be awesome cause im looking to get the boat inspected by idnr so I can get a title and a 12digit HIN on it...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depending on where you are in the world ......can not tell if you did not fill in your profile.....

You need to consult with the registering authority. HIN took effect in 1974 but was not fully initiated by many companies for a year or so since some boats were pre-built and stockpiled

AeroCraft had made many boats in the 50's, 60's and 70's

begs811

Recruit

Well the guy I got it from never had it registered. He lived in wisconson and didnt need to due to having it on his private lake.... I was just wondering if anyone could tell me about what the numbers mean. I will be going to have it inspected by idnr in about a week or so......

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's a good old fashioned serial number used pre-'74......... means nothing except it can be used on the bill of sale. Many states will issue a HIN if needed or they will just use the serial number to issue registration number's