New bimini top stress on windshield frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New bimini top stress on windshield frame

I pulled the trigger last night and ordered a Westland with Sunbrella material and the extra rear support poles. I was cheap and went with the free shipping so it will be a week or 2 before it shows up. After searching many websites and collecting prices I decided within a few $ either way most of the places were the same so I ordered it here from iboats and used my 5% facebook discount.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are a couple pics of the tear. Sorry about the scroll on the pics. Not sure why they were so big from photobucket.

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Lets suppose I want to mount the bimini on the outside of the windshield. In that case there is a small "ledge" outside of the windshield but it is only about 1/2" wide at best. That means I would have to install the mounts on the vertical edge/side of the boat. Is there mounting hardware for this type of installation?

Yes.. and actually, when I ordered my top through boatcoversdirect.com (which to be honest I think is really just the retail outlet for Carver covers..) the top came with hinged deck cleats that allow them to be mounted in any angle.. either on the windshield frame or the sides of the boat.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

To the OP, I would move the mouts to the hull just outside where you have them mounted now. Yes, you will lose about 12" of bimini height but if you are already pulling the screws it will get worse. There is already a fair amount of stress on the windshield and you are adding to it.

I am in a different situation but my bimini is mounted to the tower with rear support poles to the tower and just the front straps to the existing mount points on the windshield.

christhefur

Recruit
I had installed a bimini top on the windshield, it caused the windshield to become loose. So I took the bimini top to a welder and he tig welded extentions on the end so I can now mount to the fiberglass and keep the height. It looks good because it was tig welded

Status
Not open for further replies.