1974 Glastron V174 Bayflite

nstalker

Cadet
Just bought this boat, new to the boat world. Bought it as a fixer upper. Is there something wrong with this boat, in the U.S.(or in general) The only people that seem to own this kind of boat are in Europe. Any kind of info on this boat that I get online is from overseas. Did I purchase a boat that did not sell well over here. The boat pics I see from overseas look great. It was exactly the boat I was looking for. Maybe it is because the boat is almost 40 yrs old.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 1974 Glastron V174 Bayflite

First, there aren't many around here who will know or remember if a particular boat model sold well 40 years ago. How old do you think we all are? :)

Second, 1974? The OPEC oil embargo to the US started in late 1973. At the time your boat was built gasoline prices had tripled practically overnight. The US was in a severe recession. I'd be very surprised if any boat 'sold well' here in the mid-1970's.

Forget about it and enjoy your boat.

My .02

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

2XGlastron.jpgruthie.jpg102_0250.jpg101_0238.jpg102_0263.jpg

In the early 70s, Glastron was a very well respected manufacturer of small boats. In fact, earlier than that they designed the original deep vee hull and were widely copied. 1970s Glastrons were (in my opinion) very classy and pretty designs-- I own three of them.

However, I will not blow sunshine up your butt. These early Glastrons while pretty and fast were a little light in the topsides and the floors did tend to rot out quickly.

The avatar is a 1971 V153 with extensive hours on it. It was cruised new up the Hudson River to Montreal. Round trip about 900 miles. It has also circumnavigated manhattan Island and been out into the Long Island Sound as well as cruising the Chesapeake as far south as Annapolis.

The orange boat is a GT150 which is my resto project. Have you tried for info at classicglastron.com? I don't remember the numbers, But I believe all deep vee hulls ended with "3" Without a photo, I believe your Bayflite may be
the bowrider with the "Aqua-Lift-II" hull, a modified tri-hull. However, It will be listed in the model descriptions at the site.

Ah, See: In 5 minutes I went over to the site and identified your hull as the closed bow sterndrive, deep vee model. It was also offered in the outboard version, V173.

nstalker

Cadet

Thanks for the response Frank. That was kinda the info I was looking for. I think i insulted the Lt. Commander about how old people are. (Just kidding) Just wanted to get a little more info, this is my first boat and a fixer upper at that. I am just intrested in the nostalgia and trying to do my research on what I bought. Good or bad.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing wrong with Glastrons per se. Matter of fact they were the biggest boat builder on the planet during the late 60s early 70s. Thanks in part to Batman'n James Bond.

Hear ya Frank. They built a lotta fast, fun, sleek boats. 'Specially the Carlsons. But back then it appears sealing & preventing the innards from rotting out was not one of their priorities. Too bad. Wonder why. They had to know better?

I hate to say it NS but 'less that boat's been meticulously maintained you're more than likely going to have to do a few structural repairs. Good news is Glastrons are purty easy to work on.

Ironically I happen to own a '71 V153 like Frank's. 'Cept his is the wrong color ...

Good luck with the V174!

Attachments

• poontoonb.jpg
    poontoonb.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hate to rain on your parade V153, but while my V153 may be the wrong color, you DO know that the two least desirable colors are that ugly yellow followed by the horrid green. --ANYTHING is better than the green! LOL

V153

Lieutenant Commander

By green I assume you refer to the lovely 'Avacado' color? Hey it matches my appliances & bathroom!? Heh heh heh

Hey Frank did you buy the V153 new? If so, very cool. Dave Pankonin over @ CGOAMN has a '71 that he bought new. Very clean near origional boat:

Attachments

• dpnkyv153.jpg
    dpnkyv153.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yep! Bought it new in 1971 specifically for the trip up the Hudson River. I also bought full canvas from Glastron and slept on the boat--I was in my 20s. A year later I had my first date with my soon to be wife on this boat. 40 years later, I still have the hull although it has seen a couple of different engines, the canvas is gone, and the seats and windshield have been replaced. In one of the photos you can see where I moved the original cleats back toward the windshield and added chocks at the bow. I did this because I did not want to have to climb over the windshield if I needed to anchor out on the water.

The helm and wheel were replaced with a nice expensive Teleflex all bronze, chromed unit. The helm however is still in use in this boat:working copy.jpgresized55.jpg000_0049.jpg

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Very cool Frank. I was wondering if the windshield hadn't been replaced. Didn't the origional come with a so called dory vent like David's?

My boat arrived sans windshield. Even so I've also considered moving the bow cleats further aft to make em easier to get at. Mebbe a couple inches in front of where yours are. Roughly between the phony air vents & where the deck meets the w/s?

Speaking of multiple Glastrons I recently inherited a V163 in complete origional, albeit rough condition. Not yet sure where that project is headed:

Take care.

Attachments

• Silver.jpg
    Silver.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0