how to get the old gas out?

tmorriss

Cadet
Recently purchased a 1988 Starcraft SS160
The boat hadn't been used in a couple years and had almost a full tank.

I'm sure the gas is no good and wanted to get it out of there, but can't quite figure out how to.

I tried several attempts at siphoning it out, but despite using about a 5-6 foot hose and pump, I could not get it to pull the gas out.

I know there is gas in it, cause the gauge reads almost full AND I ran it for about 15 minutes(40 Yamaha ELG)

Second question....
ANyone know about how big the tank might be on this baby?

Thx in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: how to get the old gas out?

Ayuh,... If ya can't pump it out the fuel line, ya might as well just Pull the tank...
Sounds like it's Full of Crud...

I use an electric fuel tranfer pump...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Smoke in the left side of your mouth, beer in the right hand and a 1/2 inch siphon line, draw deep and get the heck out of the way!

:eek:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A lot of boats have a removeable panel over the fuel tank. Remove it and it should expose a 4" diameter plate that bolts the gauge sender into the tank. Remove the self-tapping screws and remove the plate. Now put a shake-shake siphon into the tank and siphon it out into some jerry cans. If the siphon hose is not long enough, you may have to extend it. A 1/2" piece of copper pipe usually fits. I also stick a piece of pipe in the end of the siphon hose and stick it thru the garboard drain plug and siphon the fuel into jerry cans on the ground under the garboard plug.

I'm sure the gas is no good and wanted to get it out of there

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, but how are you "sure" that the gas is no good? Gas can last many years in a tank depending on the gas quality, whether stabilizers were used, etc. I've seen an old car run on 20 year old gas with no problems. Now, your carburetor could be fouled or there could be other issues if the motor isn't running right. Before you toss old gas for no reason, you should make sure that it's the problem. I hate to see an entire tank of gas wasted if not necessary.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd just rather not have the bad gas running thru my engine and filters, nothing good can come of that. Better to get the old gas out (whether it's bad or not) and start with new stuff. Buy the cheapest electric auto fuel pump you can find and get all the gas and crap outta that tank.

mmuutts

Seaman

Old fuel will go bad. Really old fuel will turn into "varnish". This varnish will coat the inside of your carburetor and fuel lines. It can also coat the inside of your fuel tank.
Suck it out! use it somewhere else.....mower etc...

pd5415

Recruit

Did you get the gas out? I have a 1989 ss 160 and am in the same situation. Do you have an idea how many gallons the tank holds? Also how did you get the gas out...?
Thanks

tmorriss

Cadet

I'm sure this is way too late.... Sorry. Once I got it resolved, I've been fishing :)
Anyway, I did get it.
My tank is about 11.5 gallons(stainless steel)

Getting it out was NOT fun.
I bought two hand pumps, both of which were crap.

I finally gave up, took my air compressor and about 20 feet of clear 1/2 inch tubing.
Pulled the top off the tank took out the gauge, shoved one end of the tubing in the tank and the other end fished out
through the drain hole in the back.

Then I took my compressor and held the air gun at about 45 deg. angle across the tubing and ran all the air I could across it.
It created a vacuum and once the case started flowing out, I just put the hose into 5 gallon cans

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is pretty inventive, and is safe too. Good job.

A shake-shake siphon would have worked as well.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, but how are you "sure" that the gas is no good? Gas can last many years in a tank depending on the gas quality, whether stabilizers were used, etc. I've seen an old car run on 20 year old gas with no problems. Now, your carburetor could be fouled or there could be other issues if the motor isn't running right. Before you toss old gas for no reason, you should make sure that it's the problem. I hate to see an entire tank of gas wasted if not necessary.

I'm glad you got the problem solved. However...I agree with CC. I left gas in my generator for 5 years and it still ran good. It did have SeaFoam in it though.

If your carb is gummed up all you need is about 1/4 cup of SF pored in on the intake side of the carb (while running) just till it kills the motor. Leave it for 15-30 mins and go start your engine again. It will smoke like a dickens...worse than fogging oil, but man does it clean things up good. You then should have no problems running some old gas through it...especially if you put some SF in it to begin with.

I know some may disagree, but that stuff has worked miracles for me. Opinions will vary though =) Joe

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I'm glad you got the problem solved. However...I agree with CC. I left gas in my generator for 5 years and it still ran good. It did have SeaFoam in it though.

But... you don't use your generator to provide propulsion for your boat potentially in open water. If your generator stalls, your lights go out. If his engine stalls, he may be up ships creek with a measly paddle.... Better safe than stranded IMHO.

If your carb is gummed up all you need is about 1/4 cup of SF pored in on the intake side of the carb (while running) just till it kills the motor. Leave it for 15-30 mins and go start your engine again. It will smoke like a dickens...worse than fogging oil, but man does it clean things up good.

Fogging the engine with Sea Foam isn't going to clean the float bows, passages, and jet's of a carb. All you're accomplishing by fogging it is cleaning the carb venturis and decarbing the cylinders.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not going to argue...BUT, Like I said, this is my experience and I bet a ton of others have the same experience. I'm not
here to prove I'm right and every body else is wrong. If that's what people are on this forum for, they're misusing it.
I'm just passing on my POV and experiences like everyone else....:)

BTW: For the sake of a good discussion...Do you have proof it doesn't clean the bowl or jets? Sea Foam liquifies petroleum varnish
and those are parts of the fuel sytsem...so why wouldn't it clean it?

Granted, fogging might not accomplish that right away, but leaving it in your carb for a length of time should clean it, just like running
it continuously in your gas.

There is plenty of proof out there this stuff does clean those items. Is there any that says it doesn't?

Joe

mpdive

Chief Petty Officer

How would it clean the bowl when it is never introduced to the bowl? Your pouring it down the venturi only and it will only clean the outside surfaces of the venturi. It has nothing to do with the interior mechanical parts of the carb. Also pouring it down the carb cleans the intake and carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. Has nothing to do with the carb.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct....But if it's in your gas, it will touch every part of the engine that the gas does, so shouldn't it clean it "all" if in your gas?
I get the fogging part:)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Correct....But if it's in your gas, it will touch every part of the engine that the gas does, so shouldn't it clean it "all" if in your gas?

Every part of the engine that the gas can reach. Jets and passages clogged with varnish aren't going to be passing much of anything, and all the while your engine is running lean.

Expecting 8 ounces of hail-Mary in a can to convert stale varnished fuel into fresh fuel with all the benefits of a proper carb rebuild, means your expectations of this stuff are allot higher than mine. ;)

tpenfield

Staff member

I had the opportunity to buy a boat that was full of 2 year old gas . . . 96 gallons, give or take.

. . . no thanks.

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When fuel goes bad it smells like varnish also. That 2 year old fuel might be ok. But starting off with fresh fuel is the way to go. If it runs good now, you good to go. If not, rebuild the carb. Than use fuel additives for preventive maintenance.