Bilge pump install help

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
im having serious problems getting the basket of the pump secured to the hull in the bilge... I drilled a 3/16 hole only about 1/4 of an inch deep and then tryed to put a self tapping screw to hold the basket down... I cannot get the screws to take to the hull at all... DO MOST PEOPLE GLUE THE BASKET IN or what am i doing wrong...

thanks guys

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Bilge pump install help

glass in a small board and then drill in it not your hull

Bondo

Staff member

I drilled a 3/16 hole only about 1/4 of an inch deep and then tryed to put a self tapping screw

Ayuh,... What's the diameter of the screws,..?? 3/16" sounds awlfully Big to me...

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I siliconed in a board but glass sounds better.

Moody Blue

Captain

I screwed three stainless steel flathead screws into a piece of 1/8" aluminum from the bottom (to match the mounting pattern of the pump), then epoxied the aluminum plate to the hull so that I have three studs sticking up. My pump then slips down over the studs and I then screw on nylon locking nuts to hold the pump down.

You are one brave soul to drill into your hull like you did.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am a bit nuts, however the old pump that the previous owner had was screwed in the same place, But the pump failed. That being said Im a 1st time boat owner even though ive had the boat 2 seasons and this is the 3rd season Im still new to the whole Boat aspect of repairs.. Not new to mechanics as im a master tech for Ford motorcompany.. So to me to see the old pump there and i was just replacing the old with a new 800 gph with auto built in switch, I assumed it was normal and reused the holes that were already there but went a pinch deeper to get a bite with new screws... So I guess now ill get some resin and fiber material and glass in a board as stated... Thanks guys