Bilge pump install help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge pump install help

im having serious problems getting the basket of the pump secured to the hull in the bilge... I drilled a 3/16 hole only about 1/4 of an inch deep and then tryed to put a self tapping screw to hold the basket down... I cannot get the screws to take to the hull at all... DO MOST PEOPLE GLUE THE BASKET IN or what am i doing wrong...

thanks guys

Re: Bilge pump install help

glass in a small board and then drill in it not your hull
    rebuilding 3 classics
    17 Irvette I/B CC 99%
    20 Shamrock I/B Pilot house. 50%
    28 Slickcraft I/B FB 60%

Comment

I drilled a 3/16 hole only about 1/4 of an inch deep and then tryed to put a self tapping screw
      Ayuh,... What's the diameter of the screws,..?? 3/16" sounds awlfully Big to me...

Comment

I siliconed in a board but glass sounds better.
        sigpic
        1978 Glastron V173 Bayflite
        1979 Evinrude 150

Comment

I screwed three stainless steel flathead screws into a piece of 1/8" aluminum from the bottom (to match the mounting pattern of the pump), then epoxied the aluminum plate to the hull so that I have three studs sticking up. My pump then slips down over the studs and I then screw on nylon locking nuts to hold the pump down.

You are one brave soul to drill into your hull like you did.

Comment

I am a bit nuts, however the old pump that the previous owner had was screwed in the same place, But the pump failed. That being said Im a 1st time boat owner even though ive had the boat 2 seasons and this is the 3rd season Im still new to the whole Boat aspect of repairs.. Not new to mechanics as im a master tech for Ford motorcompany.. So to me to see the old pump there and i was just replacing the old with a new 800 gph with auto built in switch, I assumed it was normal and reused the holes that were already there but went a pinch deeper to get a bite with new screws... So I guess now ill get some resin and fiber material and glass in a board as stated... Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
            X