compass installation

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess I didn't plan this out very well when I started installing my gadgets on the top dash. GPS didn't go on t-top cause t-top came after GPS. I have a small space in front of the humminbird gps dome that I can put a basket style compass. Will the electronics or gps sensor interfere with the compass if it's in this area?

Do they make a compass I can mount to that horizontal aluminum t-top pipe above my wind sheild? Some sort of tube mount type of clamp? If so that would be perfect and be directly in my view when navigating.

sorry forgot pic :)

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 0

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: compass installation

You want your compass to be well away from things with a big magnet, like stereo system speakers or the speaker in your VHF.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's a lot of clutter on the top of the dash already. Since you have GPS the compass will be a back-up, so it doesn't need to be as visible as one that you rely on all the time.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

that's a lot of clutter on the top of the dash already. Since you have GPS the compass will be a back-up, so it doesn't need to be as visible as one that you rely on all the time.

Yeah, with all that stuff up there, I'd be tempted to not install one, use the GPS, and if that fails, carry a good quality handheld compass. Another option would be to install a fluxgate compass with a remote readout.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Darn my cluttered dash!! When I first got the boat I figured the humminbird unit would be the only thing to live up there. As I began thinking about going offshore I figured some more basic essentials were needed. I didn't feel the need to cut a big hole in the console and flush mount the radio so I put it up there too!

A friend of my uses the handheld thing so perhaps I'll look into one of those.

Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

flushmount is your friend.

Be sure you have a plain old magnetic compass. If that's what you mean by "hand-held" fine. No batteries or eletronics to fail.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I would go the opposite way. Remove the dash clutter first. Install a quality flush mounted (lighted) compass. Reinstall the electronic items away from the compass in viewable areas. A GPS should never replace a compass as they have been known to fail, go off line, lose reception, and are not updated as tides and channels are shifted (SD card models). If you are going offshore, learn how to use the compass correctly and use the GPS for minute corrections.