mooring cover at a slip and tie down

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice
so i am getting my new boat soon and i did some research on the **** pit and bow cover that comes from the factory that it will let water in heavy rain as i had expected , just how it is attached via snaps. so i am thinking of getting a mooring cover from carver (what do you guys think? ) my one question is if the mooring covers the whole top and down the gunwalle, how does one tie the rope to the cleats and the bumpers as they will be covered up with the mooring cover, am i missing some thing?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: mooring cover at a slip and tie down

Mooring covers are meant to be used on a trailer, not in a slip. You can't tie off to a cleat, because they extend midway down the hull.

mooring cover.jpg

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice

Mooring covers are menat to be used on a trialer, not in a slip. You can't tie off to a cleat, because they extend midway down the hull.

View attachment 86552
thanks thats exactly what i am thinking, so what is the way that i can cover the whole top of the boat on the slip , i noticed people are talking about putting sand bags on the sides etc on covers at the slip, any suggestions

arks

Lieutenant Commander

'Mooring' means attached to something while floating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooring_(watercraft))
A properly designed mooring cover will have accomodations for lines at each cleat. Note the slots at the bottom of this aft canvas- the stern cleats are just inside.This boat is wetslipped and stays bone dry. The cover was custom-made and has a combination of perimeter snaps and zippers.
May28001.jpg

gestut1

Seaman Apprentice

'Mooring' means attached to something while floating: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooring_(watercraft))
A properly designed mooring cover will have accomodations for lines at each cleat. Note the slots at the bottom of this aft canvas- the stern cleats are just inside.This boat is wetslipped and stays bone dry. The cover was custom-made and has a combination of perimeter snaps and zippers.
May28001.jpg
thanks for the tip. i guess i have to buy a mooring cover and have it modified/cut around the cleat area?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't call the picture you put up a mooring cover. I have a mooring cover that snaps. Covers the windsheild, cockpit, all the way back to the transom. It's supported by 2 tent poles and has never let any water into my cockpit.

I understand what you are thinking, but the pic I posted is indeed a mooring cover. Any cover for a boat that is used why the vessel is not underway is a mooring cover. A giant blue hurricane tarp is, essentially, a mooring cover, albeit a crappy one.

My upholstery shop makes many different variety's of mooring covers and one on the most common customizations that we do is to cut out, hem & bind, and relocate snaps for access to cleats on covers that are to be used when the boat is covered & slipped.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Several boats at my marina use the snap cover you first described without issue. I myself use a trailering cover (carver brand semi custom cover btw) that fits securely. I had to modify it (cutting out for the cleats and having my finance seam them up like a button hole). It took a couple "practice dry runs" in the driveway to figure out the sequence to put it on, but it is possible, and now I can do it solo inside of 2 minutes. I have never secured it with sand bags, ect. at the slip and never had a problem with the wind blowing it off. The cover came with a kit (poles and straps that go around the bow and secure at the stern) to keep the center elevated so water won't pool. Works great for me and I like the fact that it covers more than a snap on cover would (less area to fade).

OneHotRT59

Recruit

Mooring covers are meant to be used on a trailer, not in a slip. You can't tie off to a cleat, because they extend midway down the hull.

View attachment 86552

Mooring Covers are exactly that, to cover a moored a boat in or near the water.
A boat us usually moored near water, not on a trailer.
A mooring cover can have multiple methods of attachment.
Some use a shock cord sewn into the hem, and some use tie down loops.
Some mooring covers are also trailerable.
In these cases, the mooring cover should have the tie down loops built in for more secure attachment.