mercruiser 3.0 steering question - while trolling at 2.0 mph

dbusch22

Cadet
So i do a lot of salmon fishing with my bayliner... it's a 2002 - 1950CL with a 3.0L mercruiser i/o I am looking at doing something with my steering to aid my fishing trips. there are many times, when i'm out, that I would like to leave the wheel for something, even quick, like 15 - 30 seconds just to fix a downrigger, or move a rod or net a fish. Most of the time when i leave the wheel, waves and currents will make the wheel turn drastically, now when i get back to the wheel the boat has turned maybe 30 degrees or more, and it is important with 10 lines in the water, to try to keep a straight course, or when turning - to turn SLOWLY.

Is there a product that I can use to keep the steering straight when i step away from the wheel? I had thought of adding an autopilot or power steering to the boat, but that wouldn't really be the application that power steering is used for, and it would be a lot of work and money for something that isn't a HUGE deal.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 3.0 steering question - while trolling at 2.0 mph

Bungee cord attached to the steering wheel to keep it from turning

Bondo

Staff member

Is there a product that I can use to keep the steering straight when i step away from the wheel?

Ayuh,... If you've got 10 lines in the water,...

Have 1 of the other 4 fishermen take the wheel while your away from it...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Somethings sounds fishy here, pardon the pun. I run downriggers with a 3.0 as well and although my boat may change course a bit under the same circumstances of wind and waves, my wheel NEVER turns. I wouldn't think you should get steering torque at idle, but maybe you need to adjust your trim fin anyway.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

bungy cord seems like the simplest solution.Otherwise some sort of giant screen door hook perhaps.
You could get fancy and change the steering to no feedback.

fishrdan

Admiral

I put a NFB (No Feed Back) helm on my boat and the steering wheel does not move if I let go,,, while trolling. But, the steering wheel being locked into position not mean the boat will travel straight all the time. Get some wind and current pushing the boat around, and even though the steering wheel is locked straight forward, the boat can stray off course.

That said, I do like the NFB better than the free-wheel style helm. With the old helm, the boat would turn every time you let go of the wheel,,, eventually. With NFB I can get the boat tracking straight, then only have to correct for wind and current.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same problem, only I just use 2 lines. When people move in the boat, on either side, it seems to turn the boat a bit, even with the wheel held. And where I fish, it's guaranteed when a fish bites, and you get up to reel in, a gust of wind will come up til you sit back down. I added a bunch of weight to the front of the boat, and it helped. Now the back spins. Aint that fishin.

dbusch22

Cadet

ok, so typically it's me and a friend, so 6 lines in the water. one of us has a fish on, the other guy has to step away and do the netting or move other rods out of the way (maybe SOME people here have not gone trolling for salmon, but it can get quite crazy in the boat when a 20lb fish is on the line zig zagging across your other lines) and you have to try to keep the boat straight and do everything else while the other person is fighting a fish. so yes, there are legitimate times when you really need to step away from the helm. If you have ever been on charters, you'll notice that most of the time the captain doesn't even touch the wheel, b/c the whole trip is basically charted out on his autopilot, to run gps routes, change speed heading all at the turn of a dial. Not so on a 19ft boat with mechanical steering. That said, back to my post

I am interested in this "no feedback" steering system, could someone fill me in on more information about this sort of thing and where to buy, good brands, difficulty. I understand fully that wind and such will always make the boat change direction, but if i could just get the steering wheel to stay straight when I take my hands off it, that would really solve about 75% 0f my problem. I also use a trolling plate that flips down in front of of the prop so it really makes the flow of water coming off the prop turbulent, and I think that probably adds to the problem at hand.

thanks a lot so far for the replies!

Bondo

Staff member

I also use a trolling plate that flips down in front of of the prop so it really makes the flow of water coming off the prop turbulent, and I think that probably adds to the problem at hand.

Ayuh,... I think yer Right,....

Get rid of it, 'n grab a couple of BIG drift socks, 1 off each side of the bow will make the boat handle Better...

Search up Steering at the iboats megamall, 'n read about the NFB system...
Click the "Marine Store" link, top portside of this page...

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put this post on GLAngler.com and anyone there will tell you that Amish Outfitters' Buggy Bags or Big Papa will be the way to keep your boat going straight. There is no easy solution for a light weight boat with any wind or waves to keep it going straight without constant adjustment. You kind of have to either deal with it, or get an autopilot- alot of guys with smaller boats are actually installing Minn Kota power drive's on the bow just to help keep the boat going straight- sort of a 'poor man's autopilot'. I've been on a boat that utilized this and it worked pretty well in calm seas.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Put this post on GLAngler.com and anyone there will tell you that Amish Outfitters' Buggy Bags or Big Papa will be the way to keep your boat going straight. There is no easy solution for a light weight boat with any wind or waves to keep it going straight without constant adjustment. You kind of have to either deal with it, or get an autopilot- alot of guys with smaller boats are actually installing Minn Kota power drive's on the bow just to help keep the boat going straight- sort of a 'poor man's autopilot'. I've been on a boat that utilized this and it worked pretty well in calm seas.

I think we're getting way off the OP's problem. He says his steering wheel turns when he lets go of it.