Costco Marine Battery

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking to buy a replacement battery for my boat, the one that went dead was a "Ever Start" marine battery from Wal-Mart that only lasted 2years of light-duty use. Checking out the Kirkland brand from costco. Does anybody have a opinion?? bad or good??
Thanks for any replys

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Costco Marine Battery

I haven't tried their batteries yet but that is where I plan on getting mine if needed in the future because Costco always stands behind what they sell so far & I have been a member as long as they have been in my area.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

see who actually manufactures the battery, there are many different brands but only a few manufacturers, you will see the actual manufacturer in the fine print on the label. Look for "johnson controls" or "exide" both good manufacturers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I was going to say, there are very few companies that actually manufacture batteries in this country, I have always had good luck with Costco batteries, and would not hesitate to purchase another one..

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep, thats right. Johnson Controls makes a good battery.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed that Costco stands behind their products. ALso, you might get a smart (trickle) charger that you can leave on the battery without risk of cooking it. I had a motorcycle (sport bike) battery last for 10 years thanks to a Battery Tender (and coastal socal weather) Lack of use is about as bad as freezing or overheating a battery.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well went to Wally-World today and tried to see if the dead battery had a warrenty but salesperson said they use to have a 2yr warrenty on all marine batteries but since Jan. 2011 there is NO warrenty on all marine batteries.
I like Costco products anyway so i will be buying that marine deep cycle battery for around $75-80.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)

gss036

Commander

I think I have read that the Optima batteries are good for Marine use but really bad for use in an RV/Motorhome.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want to save money in the long run, but a sealed battery like an Optima. They cost twice as much, but last three times as long. They can be bought at amazon for about 10 to 20% less than list. If you ever own one, you will never buy a conventional battery again. Lighter, safer, and MUCH higher performance.
Google Optima Battery, get the dual purpose (deep cycle and starting)

I have used Optima's in my Land Rovers with good results. Incidentally you can get them at Costco also.

jamiemac74

Seaman

I purchased 2 of the Everstart Marine batteries this weekend at Walmart. They feature a 1 year warrantee stated clearly on the shelf and the tag. But to be totally honest at 60-65 bucks each, I don't expect them to last over 2 years. But you get what you pay for. A good battery is gonna cost anywhere from 150-200 bucks apiece and that will last.... Thats just my 2cents worth on that. I just couldnt see 300-400 bucks for batteries right now.

scoutboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I do know that Interstate supplies Costco with their batteries, and I know that Interstate batteries are good ones.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

FYI

Johnson Controls make bats for Interstate, Costco, Sams, Walmart, Advance Auto
Johnson Controls ownes 49% of Interstate

The specs of an Interstate Bat are more stringent than the others (per district vp at Interstate)??????
but not sure if that matters much

Harry

Dave1251

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Johnson Controls makes batteries for different companies, but not all johnson Controls batteries are made to the same specifcations. For long battery life, it's important to buy a brand like Interstate that has higher specs the wally world.

sea_goin_dude

Seaman

If you deep cycle a regular battery, it may not recover. So, if you do run your battery down pretty low, might be a good idea to get a "deep cycle" to start with. Also remember that a maintenance free battery is also a maintenance PROOF bat. Check the electrolyte / water level often and top off with distilled water when needed. Places like Walmarts and Auto zone and other auto places have a good battery checker that puts a load on the battery several times in a couple of miutes and they will check your battery free. Good idea to have them checked before making that big cruise...

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johnson controls also makes optima's.

I have also looked at walmart batteries and they still say 12 month warrentee.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I can personally say that other than the stock junk that comes in new cars I have never had a battery that was a bad. I have had plenty that went bad and that was from my laziness or improper use. Using deep cycle to start a motor or starting batteries to troll with are a few of the things I have done to kill a battery. Leaving them uncharged for a long period or not putting them on the charger when I get home are a few others. So overall most batterries are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a wally world or costco battery. Not saying that you won't get a bad one ever because things happen but if you take care of them most will last. If you can find a supplier that sells them dry that's your best bet. As soon as batteries are filled the cores begin to deteriorate. Those miniscule particles fall to the bottom of the battery. Every time they are shaken (shipping, towing, boat rocking) those particles can become lodged between the plates which can short that set of plates out. Happens enough it can kill a battery. So buy a dry cell if you can and have them fill it right there, you have a better chance of getting a good battery.

gss036

Commander

I was at a Cabels store yesterday and was checking out the batteries. They have a good assortment of wet-gell&AWG batteries. I was surprised to see CCA rating on AWG batteries, thought it would be AMP ratings only. Their prices were about the same as most auto/marine stores. I thing the Costco prices are better and you can,t beat the warranty.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I can personally say that other than the stock junk that comes in new cars I have never had a battery that was a bad. I have had plenty that went bad and that was from my laziness or improper use. Using deep cycle to start a motor or starting batteries to troll with are a few of the things I have done to kill a battery. Leaving them uncharged for a long period or not putting them on the charger when I get home are a few others. So overall most batterries are pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate in buying a wally world or costco battery. Not saying that you won't get a bad one ever because things happen but if you take care of them most will last. If you can find a supplier that sells them dry that's your best bet. As soon as batteries are filled the cores begin to deteriorate. Those miniscule particles fall to the bottom of the battery. Every time they are shaken (shipping, towing, boat rocking) those particles can become lodged between the plates which can short that set of plates out. Happens enough it can kill a battery. So buy a dry cell if you can and have them fill it right there, you have a better chance of getting a good battery.

X2. The ONLY time I've had a battery die on me is when it was the original battery. Once I replaced them, I've not had a problem since.