War Eagle 2072 Review

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice
Re: War Eagle 2072 Review

thanks to Bob VT and NYBo.......the War Eagle brain donor finally figured it out......geeeze and I thought I knew a little about computers.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

DSC_0136.jpg
[/IMG]
lockable rod/gun box with rod sleeve that extends to somewhere up in the bow.

DSC_0134.jpg

Lots of storage for life jackets etc. Found a small cooler at Academy Sports and Outdoor that
fit just perfect. I painted this under bench seat storage with Herculiner as well and it
keeps a firm grip on things.....no sliding around on bare aluminum anymore!!

DSC_0133.jpg

Side view of storage under bench seat.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

DSC_0145.jpg

Ram mount trolling motor stabilizer. I found this on Cabela's. A little pricey and 60-70 bucks
but worth every penny. In heavy waves there were times when I thought the shaft and head
to the motor were going to be vibrated or torn off. Now it is rock solid. Takes a lot of strain
off of the motor base.

DSC_0140.jpg

Underdeck storage. I use a pizza box to keep my umbrella rigs in. Plan to paint more
herculiner in here as well.

DSC_0137.jpg

cushion on the rod box

DSC_0130.jpg

I drilled 4 holes into the hinged battery storage cover to mount the charger. I used hex head
stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts to help prevent theft.

DSC_0129.jpg

Mounted charger

DSC_0142.jpg

View from bow to back of boat. Nice and roomy for an aluminum boat

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

DSC_0135.jpg

This is a picture of the gun/rod box. I recently painted some Herculiner bed liner on it
and the rubber granules give some "padding" and grip to anything placed in here. Nice to
not have stuff sliding around everywhere

DSC_0139.jpg

30 gallon aerated livewell.

DSC_0138.jpg

In front of console 30 gallon live well with cushion on top. Cushion has buttons on one side that
allows you to flip it over for live well lid access.

DSC_0128.jpg

Picture of storage compartment for batteries, 2 cycle oil, and 40 gallon gas tank.
I mounted the Minn Kota 3 bank onboard battery charger under the cover. It was the only
place left......one thing that War Eagle did poorly was take up all the under deck space
with a giagantic gas tank. 40 gallons.....overkill

DSC_0143.jpg

I welded on a metal post/plate so as to allow attachment of a boat buckle bow tie down.
If you haven't used these you should consider it.

DSC_0146.jpg

Just the standard instrument cluster. Would like to add Evinrude icommand gauge but will have to wait for
another day. I placed a Humminbird 585ci on an adjustable Ram mount for when I'm running the big motor.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

DSC_0144.jpg

The quick release mount has a handle with two rods that run horizontally through a "puck" mounted to the boat deck. Remove the lock slide out the pin/handle and the motor can be taken off. About 30 seconds to remove.

DSC_0132.jpg

I added some boat buckles to the trailer.

DSC_0141.jpg

Bow view of Humminbird 385ci with minn kota terrova and quick release mount

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Unless the rules have changed, his photobucket pictures are too big, Bob.

The newest version of the forum "automatically" controls the size :D So yes it has changed ;)

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Are these pictures still not the right size? I copied and pasted the IMG link as directed but I may have still screwed this up. Want everyone to be able to see them. I really apologize if the size isn't correct. I want to abide by the rules for sure......thanks for your input.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Your pic's are fine ;) I do like the boat and the power ;)

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat.
Is it just the picture or is your stern(all around)light red in color?

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

For anyone wanting to add a Herculiner to their aluminum storage it was pretty easy. I called Herculiner and asked about aluminum specifically as aluminum is an odd beast to work with at times regarding sticking things to it or on it. The tech at Herculiner advised to sand/prep to bare metal if at all possible. Then use a self etching primer. I bought some at Home Depot made by rustoleum. It actually says self etching primer. It actually "bites" or etches into the metal, giving you a better base to paint over. So worth the $5.70 I paid for two cans of the stuff. I wiped down the bare aluminum with mineral spirits, then allowed to air dry, then sprayed on the self etching primer, then after it was completely dry, used a 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper to sand lightly. Shop vac'd dust etc. I then allowed it to set overnight just to make 110% sure it was dry as the primer is the most important part of any good bonding. The next day I cracked open a can of Herculiner bed liner. Bought a small cheap drill attachment paint mixer that I found at Wal-Mart for 2 bucks. This allows you to resuspend the rubber granules in the solution again. I used a small mini roller with a 1/4 nap (smaller the nap the better according to herculiner...actually the guy at Herculiner said to use a roller without a nap at all, but I couldn't find such a thing). It rolled out great. USE GLOVES to protect your skin. You can't clean this up with mineral spirits etc. Cleans up with xylene I think and I didn't want to buy any. I also used a respirator that I already had purchased from Lowe's for another project. The fumes are quite strong and you will want to do this in a well ventilated area for sure. I applied one coat and then let it dry overnight. Then the next day applied another coat and let this dry overnight as well.

All the stuff that was previously sliding around everywhere is now "sticking" well and has some nice protection. Looks real nice too. Just take your time and do it right and you will like the results. If you don't allow to dry and cure as recommended it will not work well and you will be disappointed. Good luck if you try it out.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sure you won't fight me for 'er? All you're doing is making me more and more jealous with every post!:mad: I could be in Bentonville in a couple hours.;)

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Pootnic,

Must be the picture. No red on this boat.
The bow and stern light in your storage comparment,above your life vest.
Is that an all around light with the bow light?
Just that it looked red .

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

You should hook up wtih Spencer's Marine in Pine Bluff, AR. That's where I bought it. A friend of mine knew the dealer so I got the "friends special". I've really enjoyed it and thanks for your comments. I have enjoyed posting about my boat hoping to help others as so many others have helped me by posting on iboats. Great sight.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Pootnic,

I see what you are saying now. Thought you meant that the boat had a red tint to it.
You are probably wondering why 2 bow lights. Well, when I duck hunt and take my trolling motor off I use the shorter of the two. With the trolling motor on, the shorter of the two bow lights is blocked by the trolling motor so I had to purchase a taller one. Not that big of a hassle but a little one for sure. In the picture, the other half of the bow light is out of view but it isn't all red; it's the traditional red/green light. Sorry for the confusion. I'll post a couple of pics shortly to show you the difference when they are mounted.
When the boat came from the dealer/factory they mounted the trolling motor base bracket to far to the left. I wanted to be able to drop the trolling motor head and shaft down and have it sit directly on center with the bow. Kind of picky but I'm a prefectionist. The Minn Kota uses an electronic steering motor instead of cables and this sits up a little higher on the base that most trolling motors so hence the extra height needed on the bow light. Thanks for your comments!!!!!!

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

It's all clear to me now,thanks.
Just didn't want you to be using a red light in the stern by mistake.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

thanks take care and good boating/fishing this spring

Bruce D

Recruit

Hey guys,
I've recently acquired a used War Eagle 2072. Mine is configured with no console and rated for a 60 hp. The previous owner had a surface drive on it, but I plan to put a regular outboard on it. I am trying to figure out what kind of performance (speed) I could get out of it with a tiller 60 hp, or if I'd be better off adding a side console and going up to a 90 or 115. I don't need lots of speed, but 35 mph would be nice.

I know it'll run 21 with a 35hp surface drive and I see yours will do 50mph with a 115, but I am wondering what the 60 will do. Does anyone have any experience with a 60 on the 2072? I called the dealer and they wouldn't really give me an answer.

Thanks for any help you can give.

mooresinar

Seaman Apprentice

Don't think you can get that out of a 60. Maybe you can? Mine is 115ETEC. Can do about 44-45 fully loaded. Possibly 50 on a good day empty.
I sent you a private email about this. Check it out.

wicked251

Cadet

Just found this thread, what an awesome boat! Someday my little Crestliner will become a War Eagle. Thanks for the review.