Pontoon Pitting?

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I cleaned the pontoons on the used Weeres I bought a year ago, I notice quite a little pitting. The pontoons hadn't been cleaned for several years and had a lot of scale built up. I'm pretty sure the pitting was there when I started cleaning them. I used a regular pontoon cleaner so I don't think it was the problem. Is it common to have a pitting or corrosion problem in fresh water lakes if the pontoons are not cleaned? Do I need to do anything special or just don't let it get that bad again?<br /><br />Charles

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Pitting?

Charles,<br /><br />When neglected, that's what happens to the pontoons. The best thing you can do from now on is to clean them at least a couple times a year to prevent it from getting worse. My old toons never had a pitting problem(10+ years). But I really believe that was because I took care of it well. I use a product from refrigeration houses, that you spray on or brush on and the toons look like new. Very strong stuff!!! Only takes a half a gallon to do both sides. Brush on,rinse off! Done in an hour! Then I wax them to protect them for the season. They still look good with the boat sitting in the snow in the back yard. Basically, it's coil cleaner. But you need to ask for the "Acidic" cleaner. Bout $10.00 a Gallon, but well worth it. Won't get rid of all the pitting, but sure cleans them up well. Some rubber gloves and a scotchbrite pad works wonders on making them shine. Did the boat sit in the water or was it hauled out every time. Makes a big difference.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

RB:<br />The boat was in the water for a season at a time.<br />I don't think the pontoons were cleaned when it was pulled for the winter. My cleaning of them last fall was probably the first time they had been cleaned for at least 5 or 6 years.<br />It won't get the best of treatment from me since it will be in the water for a season at a time. At least the pontoons will be cleaned when I pull it out for the winter. <br />I'll have to check on the "coil cleaner" for the next cleaning. The stuff I used was quite expensive and didn't work as well as what you are describing. Much of the scale I removed with a 3M pad on a random orbit sander.<br /><br />Charles

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Ask for "Alumabrite" at an A/C parts house or A/C company. It will do the job!! Start at the top of the toons and work your way down. If you want to spend a "few" bucks to keep them that way, get a product called "Sharkhide" from here. It seals the logs up and keeps them looking new.<br /><br /> www.sharkhide.com/

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks RB. :) <br />I will definitely try the Alumibrite.<br />Might even go the Sharkhide route.<br /><br />Charles