1980s boats...

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???

Last edited:

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 1980s boats...

It is probably because there are still good boats around from the 80s at a good price.

I have an 80s aluminum boat and really enjoy it, it does everything a new boat would do at a fraction of the cost.

I think too with the country just coming out of what we did people might be a little gun shy about popping alot on a boat right now so they get an older one to hold them over for a couple years till they can move up.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think you buy a boat that fits your needs best.
The Aluminum Boats I see built today are all open bow boats that I would not take into the Pacific Ocean.
Average Seas are over 6 feet all summer long. If I did take an open bow boat out into the pacific I would want it to be self Bailing.
I will not launch my 21 foot Aluminum boat in the Pacific if Seas are over 8 and 8 seconds or less. This means the Swells are steep or Very Steep and with the normal after noon winds around 25 knots you will have white caps every other swell is less than 10 minutes and building seas.

In winter with storms way out to Sea I have been out in Seas 12 but 15 or 20 seconds apart and that is fun and safe.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't speak about other brands, but I personally prefer most of the '80s Boston Whaler models over the revised designs offered in the '90s. I believe they are better boats.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Perhaps there was a production boom in the 80s placing more of them in todays used market.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Mines a '72 ! Maybe some day I'll move up to an '80s !!!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I just like the looks of 80 boats better. Yes they have rot but so do a lot of 90s models. Why pay an extra couple grand to have a newer boat you still have to cut apart?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 1988 aluminum lund boat and love the layout of it. wouldnt want to trade up

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i'm a school teacher netting about 28 a year, last year we bought an 86 2150 bayliner sunbridge that came with a good trailer, clean hull, good transom, brand new volvo outdrive and a newish 350. the inside upholstery was new. the only thing it needed was a windshield which i got off of a similar bayliner for 250 shipped.

we payed 2600 for our boat. i couldn't have done that with a 96.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

I started with a 60's boat, then a couple of 70's boats, tried to make the leap into the 90's, but fell short and got an '89 lol
Actually, I didn't really like the 90's cruisers as much because the style seemed to be minimal cabin windows. Some are like going into a cave. When I'm at the lake, it's good to be able to enjoy the scenery, even when down below, so the 80's Doral fit the bill, even the aft cabin has 3 windows.(2 opening ports and a hatch)

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

Because 80s boats are far more appealing than the visually boring boats of the 90s and beyond. There's no way I could stand having boring white exterior/interior gelcoat, white vinyl cockpit, and white vinyl cabin interior. Couldn't stand a vinyl cabin interior period. Yes, its cheaper to produce - and looks it. I love the look of colors and teak in the cockpit area.
IF I ever decide to upgrade from the Nova II, I'd be looking for either a Scarab II or Scarab Type S, both a few years older than the Nova II.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I'm talking about cruisers.

All the points made already can be said for cruisers too. If someone likes the boat, can afford it, and is comfortable with any repairs needed, whats the big deal if it's an 80s hull? I just bought a 1990 Donzi at a great price, if she was an 1985 I still would have bought her without hesitation. A well taken care of 1985 boat can be a much better deal than a 1995 that has been beat to crap. It all really depends on the boat and the PO in my opinion. I have seem some 90s boats listed thousands more than 80s boat that look to be in better overall shape.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

What's the deal with people still looking to buy boats from the 80s??? Isn't there anything from the 90s selling for a few bucks more or is the price difference that drastic???
Snob!;)

superbenk

Commander

What's wrong with a boat from the 80's? Anyone want to buy mine? :D

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I'm not willing to pay more just because the previous owner still remembers buying his boat new. People selling the 80's boats know they need new floors, transoms, paint etc. and they adjust the price accordingly. From what I've seen the boats from the 90's aren't in much better shape, but the owners still think they are shiny and new because although the wood is rotted...it hasn't fallen off yet. Since Aluminum doesn't tend to rot I'll save the extra couple grand.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Cost,cost cost Like stated before 90s boats will break your budget in half. The difference between a 86 Century and a 95 Baylinner was just unreal. I can make the Century my own with the leftover cash and the Baylinner I would have to take out a loan to get a dock for the summer. Both boats 25 foot and in about the same condition and options. I really love Baylinners just not that much.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

You would think a boat made in the 90's would be reasonable.. They are old now... Nope.. People think they are worth something and about 2 to 3K more than they are... I love my 87... She still looks good and only cost a grand... She also has teak trim( None of the new stuff does).. We ran the hell out of it last year.. Almost every weekend... What more could you want out of a $1000?

Would love to have a mid 90s rig, but I can't justify the 7 to 8k to get one...

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat coming out of the 80's were the result of both new and redesigns for more fuel economy, due to the oil embargo. Also, the 80's brought forth an increase on disposible income for leasure. Second homes and boating were the result. Therefore, plenty of quality boat still remain available in good used condition. With the ever increasing prices of the same class of boat today, smart shoppers are weighing the investment towards a higher quality older boat, versus a lower quality newer boat, and the additional advantage of their comparative depreciation schedules. 80's boats win!