1980s boats...

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: 1980s boats...

I think fiberglass boats have been on an approximately 10 year cycle for the last 50 years.

Boats of the 60s were cutting edge and really pushed the envelope for design...
Boats of the 70s were evolutionary, not revolutionary...they tried a lot of things and made the boats cheaper...
Boats of the 80s were in general better built designs that came from the 70s...people wanted quality and paid for it....and kept the boats well maintained...
Boats of the 90s were all about instant gratification...cheaply built boats for cheap people that wanted to look like they had a lot more than they did...and then let it rot away...
Boats of the 00s got back to quality and durability. New manufacturing techniques and materials allowed for good value and good build quality...with less maintenance required.

It will be interesting to see what the 10s bring.

Mattmm

Recruit

I knew exactly what i wanted. A smaller boat with a larger feel. I had to go back to the 80's to find a 26' cruiser with a flybridge. nowadays noone makes boats like these because some morons will put too many people on the flybridge and then sue the manufacturer into bankruptcy.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

The boat coming out of the 80's were the result of both new and redesigns for more fuel economy, due to the oil embargo. Also, the 80's brought forth an increase on disposible income for leasure. Second homes and boating were the result. Therefore, plenty of quality boat still remain available in good used condition. With the ever increasing prices of the same class of boat today, smart shoppers are weighing the investment towards a higher quality older boat, versus a lower quality newer boat, and the additional advantage of their comparative depreciation schedules. 80's boats win!

I have people all the time stop & tell me how much they like my 1984 Wellcraft. it was well taken care of & repowerd in 1996. there are a few dings in the gelcoat, rips in the seats & the canvas is alttle worn but everything is useable & works.With a coat of wax and a good cleaning she still shines. A new boat like this would be alot more that I can afford. I was able to buy this one cash.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

For me it's more about price vs condition. There are a lot of junk 90's boats and a lot of junk 80's boats out there. I sooner look for overall condition for the price and whether or not the boat is the kind of boat I want. Last summer when I went looking for a boat, I knew I wanted something smaller but didn't want the generic looking open bow runabout/ski boat that everyone else at the lake has. I ended up with a late 70's Glastron GT-150 with a mid 80's outboard, good hull, paint, floor, transom. Obviously a well cared for boat. I would rather have a clean, well cared for older boat than a slightly newer one that's been neglected. Just this fall I bought a project boat that will replace my GT-150 when it's done. It's an early 80's outboard Glastron CVX-20. It's going to need some work, but for price vs condition, it fit the bill and I could not care less about what year it is.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I have a 1976 21.5ft cuddy. While I agree with most of the previous posts I'd like to add an opinion of my own:

Apart from today's much lower cost for older boats, I'm sure the fiberglass technology was so young that the manufacturers didn't know how little material they could get away with, so they tended to overbuild. Broadly speaking, the only way to get a boat built "like they used to" is to have it custom made and the price would be prohibitive. Further, the classic '60's and '70's styles are much more aesthetically pleasing than a production bubble boat, in my opinion.

kilowatts

oops!

Supreme Mariner

I think fiberglass boats have been on an approximately 10 year cycle for the last 50 years.

It will be interesting to see what the 2010s bring.

with the price of fuel?.......oars

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

My father had a 1984 Bayliner Contessa (P.O.S.), 1987 or 1988 Sea Ray with a command bridge (Beautiful boat), 1994 Luhrs with a command bridge (Boring boat). He currently has a 1998 Cruisers (Up to date boat). All boats were in the 30+ foot range and he kept them long enough for me to like them or dis-like them. My conclusion is certain boats from the 1980s are beautiful (Well-maintained teak, etc) BUT the 80s was a long time ago. If a mid-90s boat is within the same price range as a 1988. Wouldn't it make sense to get the newer boat??? Call me crazy...

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Holla There in lies the problem. 90s boats around here bring several thousand dollars more than an 80s boat. If you consider like condition of two boats ten years apart the newer boat will bring better money. I know several people with 70s boats that they can not give away. 80s sell quite frequently, mostly due to people dont use them as much as they thought they would or poor maintenance. A 95 Cruisers the same size as my Century was double plus the price with a busted transom plate and a bad out drive with no trailer. I gave 7 for mine,he was wanting 15 for his. for the extra 8 grand I will install air, new top, stereo, give her a good go over and still have a load of cash for dock and gas fees.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Another thread I was just looking at brought to mind the lack of teak trim used in the 90's and on which is sad. One of the differences between my '89 Doral and the '90 version is that they got rid of the teak cockpit rails and used all stainless. A boat just doesn't seem right without teak, particularily when, as was previously mentioned in this thread, everything is just plain (anticeptic :p?) white.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

The plan ol white interior hurts my eyes.. I guess they went to it for ease of cleaning...

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

The plan ol white interior hurts my eyes.. I guess they went to it for ease of cleaning...

They'd hate mine then...white/grey/red topside with grey cloth in the cabin...should re-do it all in white vinyl then folks'd think it was newer :D

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I remember some of the late 80's/ early 90's Wellcrafts and especially the Eclipse, some of the most beautiful boats IMO from that era and still on the water!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The worst were the 90's boat that had all the aqua and pink on them. Yuck!

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know the topic started with Cruiser boats, but i would like to share my opinion. Last January I deceided it was time to upgrade from my 1962 Al Jon boat to something a bit more comfortable for long days of fishing. I knew my budget was low, as i wanted to pay cash, but being one to wheel and deal I knew I could find something. Low and behold my dad calls me up about 2 months later and said "I found you a boat". Cool. Went to look at it 1988 Champion Mean 15, second owner, it had sat out in the sun and weather for a few months, at first inspection it was rough, when looking closer it got to look better and better, solid transom and stringers, few nicks in the gel coat, and needed some serious TLC. So the guy was asking 800 for the boat, 115 Mariner he thought was dead. Talked him down to 500 cash and hooked it to the truck. So at this point i have 500 in the boat 800 in the motor repairs 600 in the new trolling motor 400 in new batteries and 10 in a car wash.
So $2310 in the boat that runs like a champ and fishes even better.

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats just awful... Do ya think they gotta a ugly discount?

That's funny, my first "boat" was a 1994 Sea Doo XP, and I remember thinking how awesome it was. The color scheme went like this: Lower hull was grass green, the seat matched that as well as the hood and handlebar pad. There was plenty of purple, and lots of hot pink with a white upper hull. I looked at other pwcs but after seeing the sea doo like that I was in love. Later I got rid of all those crazy colors when I came to my senses a few years later.

By the way my current boat is a 1989 Larson Contempra that was white and gray with a gray and burgundy interior. I changed the gray areas of the hull to royal blue and updated the interior, all for less than buying a new small bowrider!

Price was definately the attractive feature since I paid $1000 for the deal

Rob

donberry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought a 1988 Dynasty 190 19' Fish and Ski. 4.3L engine that runs great with a really nice trailer for $1k. Does need a little work, but will be perfect for my needs. I am retired, so my time is free - and only reason it really does need the work is I like it so much, I am going to bring her back to hopefully as good as new. Engine and outdrive alone are worth what I paid, so basically got a free boat and trailer.
Sure I could have spent $5k or so for a 90's model.........I will have it restored and painted the same color as my truck for still a couple pf thousand less then a 90's model.......

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

I have an '86 and I think the interior has far more detail to it than the newer boats with the white interiors and plain dash boards. I believe the styling on the inside looks much better and is much better quality.