tri hull pros and cons

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would like to know what everyone says are the pros and cons of tri hulls? Everything from weight to control to speed to stability ect.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: tri hull pros and cons

My only experience was with an 18' tri hull. Very stable ride in smooth water and stable while sitting still in the water.

If it's a little rough, they beat the crap out of you. Your boat may be different, depending on design.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

A very OPEN ended question.
Boats can be used in rivers, ponds, large lakes, bay or open ocean.
Which are your referring to?

Pro:
First, I'm looking for a 14' tri hull for river fishing, it may get into a small lake.
Stable to stand and fish from, some are low to the water.

Con:
My bay boat (close inshore) is a V bottom...IMHO tri hulls don't ride very good in a bay and I wouldn't think of taking one off shore, except on a glass calm day, even then there are swells to think of.
Most are foam filled, any water intrusion and their rotted.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Beating a dead horse here.

I have both, an 18' thundercraft IO tri hull that I have converted into a fishing boat, and now I have bought a starcraft 19' superfisherman deep V. The tri hull is a very stable fishing platform, excellent in smooth water at speed. If you are in 1' or large waves, it will beat you to death unless you slow down. It can be managed. I have not used my new starcraft yet, but I have fished off others like it. It has a lot smoother ride through the chop, and with it's wide beam is quite stable as well. The key to any boats stability is hull design. A tri hull will be more stable than a deep v in the same length boat, unless you have a wider beam. My 2 cents, and another hit on the dead horse.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You guys have anwsered my question, I was wanting for the bay and it sounds like I will want a deep v

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think people exaggerate about the ride being rough on a flat bottom, square bow, tri-hull, whatever. On a small boat it won't make that much difference. Some, but not enough to matter. no one has died from riding in a boat due to the bumps.

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

I think people exaggerate about the ride being rough on a flat bottom, square bow, tri-hull, whatever. On a small boat it won't make that much difference. Some, but not enough to matter. no one has died from riding in a boat due to the bumps.

Is that how guage comfort? No one died! LOL

I've seen kids take a few bounces aft because dad din't pay attention to 3 waves crossing his path...oh that was me!

no i have a 14' tri hull and ive bin out there in 1' waves and it just bounces a bit not bad. Ive also gone over 3' waves you just have to ride through them. You can stop and wait but that just a waste of time. :)

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

The original Boston Whalers had a tri-hull and there are still thousands in use world wide with an excellent reputation. There are many still being used as rescue boats to save the souls of many a high powered "V" hull in the wrong hands. A boat is only as good as it`s skipper I say !!!!!

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer

OK for smaller lakes.
But it it gets rough, or in open bodies or large water or in large salt water forget tri-hulls. They just ride to rough.

well i'm using my boat in saltwater. Not the ocean but bays and river in saltwater that are open to the ocean.

bob844

Seaman Apprentice

I would like to know what everyone says are the pros and cons of tri hulls? Everything from weight to control to speed to stability ect.

1) Most of them are going to be 20+ years old and fibreglass; a fibreglas boat has a wooden boat inside doing it's best to rot.
2) The one I have (closer to 40 years old) runs as straight as if it was on rails, unlike the deep V I sold last year.
3) Mine pops up on plane (hole shot) much quicker than my deep V did but that might be related to power.
4) Ride is hard, though mine is less hard than many because the hull doesn't flatten out as much toward the rear as a lot of them do.
5) A lot heavier than a comparable aluminum boat or even a newer glass boat.