Need some help/advice on steering cables (Update)

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a 1989 Glasstream 17v Hydrabass bass boat with a 1988 150 evinrude on it. I knew the steering was tight/stiff when I bought it. The seller told me that it might need new cables. With that I mind I finally got to tinkering with it this this morning. I removed the steering linkage to determine if it was the motor or cables. The motor pivots nicely with the cable linkage off. I then tried the steering while disconnected and it was still stiff. I then got the cables out of the tubes at the outboard and cleaned the tubes with deep creep and a brass tube brush. Still very stiff. I assume that it's the cables themselves, Right? Do cables run inside the housing tubes from the steering box to the tubes on the outboard? Can these be cleaned out and or disassembled, Or do these have to be replaced? And how much are the replacements and where?..I have added some photos of the steering linkage below. I'm sorry for all the questions this is the first time I have had to do anything with steering components.

Port side of motor
IMG_20110115_120118.jpg

Starboard side of motor
IMG_20110115_120057.jpg

Under the helm
IMG_20110115_120259.jpg

Re: Need some help/advice on steering cables

Dooma,

Some folks have had success removing cables and cleaning them. Some say it doesn't work. Looks from your pics that you have dual cable rack and pinion setup. One last thing to try is disconnect the cables from the rack unit at the helm. Then see if the steering is still stiff. Some times rack units wear and get stiff. The rotary helm units wear and get sloppy loose. So see what that shows you. Also try disconnecting both ends of the cables and see if the cables move freely on their own. Something will be stiff. Let us know how you make out but I see new cables (at least) in your future. Replacement cables can still be found. Use the model numbers found marked on the cable jackets. Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Dual cable systems are always tighter when not under power. Have you water tested it yet?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dual cable systems are always tighter when not under power.

Why would that be, there's more resistance to turning when under way (motor torque not withstanding) than sitting on a trailer ... :eek:

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dual cable systems are always tighter when not under power. Have you water tested it yet?

No I haven't Bob and I thought the same thing, But it takes two hands and straining a good bit just to get it to turn.

Dooma,

Some folks have had success removing cables and cleaning them. Some say it doesn't work. Looks from your pics that you have dual cable rack and pinion setup. One last thing to try is disconnect the cables from the rack unit at the helm. Then see if the steering is still stiff. Some times rack units wear and get stiff. The rotary helm units wear and get sloppy loose. So see what that shows you. Also try disconnecting both ends of the cables and see if the cables move freely on their own. Something will be stiff. Let us know how you make out but I see new cables (at least) in your future. Replacement cables can still be found. Use the model numbers found marked on the cable jackets. Good luck.

Thanks Greg,
I will try that. Looks like fun to drop the cables at the helm... Big hands in little places are fun and usually end up teaching my neighbors new words. The new ratchet wrenches I got for Christmas will come in handy. Either way I'm going to have to remove them anyways.
Thanks for the tip on the model numbers.
Jason.

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have a friend who has a similar system and his is the same way but fine under power. It was confusing at first but try it ;)

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a friend who has a similar system and his is the same way but fine under power. It was confusing at first but try it ;)

I will. The seller did tell me that it didn't interfere with the performance while under way.

That doesn't add up. True, a dual cable system will be a little tighter than single cable when properly adjusted, but not by a lot. Mine is smooth as can be.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I took the boat out yesterday afternoon, The boat ran great and while under way the steering was better but loading and unloading from the the trailer was little tough and I had to two hand the wheel.

I got it home and I dropped the cables from the helm and tried turning the motor and I could not make it budge. I'm thinking that new cables is the way to go.

The cables that are on my boat is stamped with (Detmar A95 13 ft system). I assume that I would replace them with Teleflex 13 ft replacements right?

Iboats list 4 different types of 13' cables, Which one is the correct replacement? or direct me in the right direction for the correct one.
(1)
http://www.iboats.com/1-SSC12413-Teleflex-Marine/dm/*******.373183668--**********.155185119--view_id.135382

(2)
http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Cable-13-Teleflex-Marine/dm/*******.373183668--**********.155185119--view_id.169547

(3)
http://www.iboats.com/B-M-Rack-Cable-13-Teleflex-Marine/dm/*******.373183668--**********.155185119--view_id.169526

(4)
http://www.iboats.com/Universal-Rack-Cable-13-Uflex/dm/*******.373183668--**********.155185119--view_id.367649

Bob_VT

Staff member

Take a look at your system "outside the box" before you order cables. You might want to re-route or get longer. I see that the motor is on a jack plate and the cables seem to take a sharp bend.

When you dropped the cables did you try to lessen the turn at that corner and then see how it reacts?

Honestly 2 cables will cost you $$$$ you might want to look at a nice single cable NFB system which may be cheaper and easier but, that also depends on the performance. This is the link to Teleflex and click on the brochure to read a bit ;) http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/steering/mechanical-steering/ The brochure also reflects the rack replacement parts :)

^^^^^^^^ Great points by Bob. Now could be the chance to improve or make it right. Cables do a look a little snug at the motor. Maybe an extra foot might be needed. Cross reference the number with the Teleflex number to make sure the Teleflex size is indeed 13'.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need some help/advice on steering cables (Update)

After searching for cable replacements I ran across instructions about how to clean out the cables. I built me a cable luber and I was able to free up my steering. I used an air compressor with seafoam in the luber to flush the system and used the same system to force synthetic oil as lube. Cost of cables or upgrade was going to cost $450 or more. Between the luber and the seafoam I spent around $24.00 and now I can palm the wheel and it spins nicely. The cables were not rusted but was full of grease and grime and I guess locking the cables up. The seafoam broke up the old grease and flushed it out. With saving that much money I can get an electronic fish finder :p

outdoorsman10

Seaman

You should post a pic of your cable luber. Something like that could have saved me 3 bills.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Going back about 35 years........ we used to have problems with the Morse throttle cables on heavy equipment so........ we coiled the new cables up and soaked them in a 55 gallon drum and 10 weight hydraulic oil. The soaking seemed to help them.

Good job on the cleaning I am glad it worked. :)

Last edited:

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should post a pic of your cable luber. Something like that could have saved me 3 bills.

IMG_20110122_181051.jpg

Simple really. 3/4 galvanized T and plug with reducer to 1/2 with another reducer to a 1/4 then 1/4 air interchange fitting. On the other side 3/4 to 1/2 then 1/2 nipple, Then 3ft clear tubing and hose clamps. slide the coupling back off the cable and the hose can be clamped onto the cable itself. Use teflon tape to seal everything off. The plug section is to add the seafoam and oil. I used about 3 to 6 oz of seafoam to start with.
I used 120 lbs on the compressor, Once I hooked the air supply up give it time to work. I think on the first cable it took about 3 hours before anything even came out of the rack end. Once it started it I let that first batch of seafoam loosen the crud up then I put about another 3 ozs and ran that through. after that I put walmart brand 5/30 synthetic oil and let that sit about an hour. Then the exact same thing on the other cable. While under pressure work wheel back and forth and you will feel it starting to break up. Also work the wheel with the oil.

Put some rags or some type of pan under the helm to catch the drippings and crud.

Nice work. Thanks for pics or your cable cleaning rig.

BOOSTER-X

Cadet

First let me say Thank You! for the simple yet purposeful design you showed. I made the exact same thing and put 125 psi on it for the last day or so and haven't got more than an occasional whisper out the other end.. My big question...how do you turn the wheel with this device? I unbound the shaft out of the helm and attached the device at that end. Did you do the reverse? Thanks for any ideas....I'm gonna try it from the other end....if that doesn't work....new cable purchase. Also, my steering was fine in Dec. when I itemized...bound tight now.

BOOSTER-X

Cadet

...when I itemized...

I meant winterized....darn smartphone. ;-)

GlasV162

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,
I'm having similar issues with my dual-cable steering. Very tight. How is your steering working since you made this repair?
Thanks,
John

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello,
I'm having similar issues with my dual-cable steering. Very tight. How is your steering working since you made this repair?
Thanks,
John

My cables are working like new since I've re-lubed. I have also used it on 2 other boats since and so far so good. Need to keep a rag or something under the rack as mine dripped here and there for a couple of weeks after. One of the boats that I did was on a buddies boat and it took 2 full days before anything came out of the rack end. Patience is the key, just let the compressor and seafoam work.