hp rating on jon boat

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
Just picked up a jon boat and theres no tag to be found. pretty sure its 12' didnt get a chance to measure it. was wondering if the max was 9.9 or something is around 5

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1158.jpg

Re: hp rating on jon boat

well i know a little something about jon boats see the back in the photo i can see theres holes there that were a motor plate goes you dont need it but if you want and thing over 10hp you do i would probally go with a 8 hp or less

robert graham

Admiral

All depends on how far and how fast you want to go. Just looking at the boat maybe a 10 or 15HP would be sufficient. Good Luck!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

don't go over 9.9 and less will work fine.

replace your transom board--2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood should do. Planks split. reseal all the holes while you're at it.

replace your transom board--2 pieces of 3/4" marine plywood should do. Planks split. reseal all the holes while you're at it.

deffently redo the wood but look around for a metal plate acout a quarter inch thick and bolt that on the out side of the transome that will give you more range of moter size and i know for a fact that that doesnt take over a 15hp i have a john boat with the wood on the insize and had a plate but lost bolts but no big deal i just us a 8hp and that does amazing on it just dont go out on a windy day we had the 8hp going full throttle and a gust of wind got under us and the boat went a bout a 35deggree angle scared me to never do that agian

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

thats what i figured, just was wondering cus some jon boats on lowe.com are only rated for 3hp

thats what i figured, just was wondering cus some jon boats on lowe.com are only rated for 3hp

o its a lowe i would suggest then prob not over 5hp i dint see that is was 12' i have a 14' game fisher try to stay low with the motor then but you don't need a big motor to push jon boats around

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

you guys are being too conservative....put a small block in it and hold on!!:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I had a 12 Jon, with a 3' beam. Max HP was 7.5HP.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

9.9 would be the max if that much. It's a very light weight boat the few ribs it has only go across the floor.

That jon boat looks a lot like my son's. His is a 12' and is rated for 5 hp. And yes, definitely get that other piece of plywood on the transom. Actually I'd be tempted to replace the one of the forward face as well, I'd bet it's getting old and beat up just like it's friend. I'd use some 3/4" plywood and at a minimum soak them real good with fiberglass resin to offer some degree of waterproofing.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

How could i beef up the transom on this boat, after replacing the wood and wood on the back of the tansom