Why are boats righthand drive?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Always wondered since all of our cars are left drive it just seems odd.

I am sure there is some long standing nautical tradition dating back to the vikings at work but I have just always been curious.

sasto

Captain
Re: Why are boats righthand drive?

Prop torque...a prop turning clockwise would cause the starboard side to lift somewhat. On the right side to balance this effect.

Happy Thanksgiving!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Prop torque...a prop turning clockwise would cause the starboard side to lift somewhat. On the right side to balance this effect.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I don't think that's quite correct. It goes back much, much further than the propeller does. I believe it dates back to the days when boats were controlled by the "steering board". Basically, the steering board was a rudder most commonly attached on the right side of the boat (since most people are right handed). This is also where the term starboard came from. Now when a boat was brought in to port, it was tied up on the opposite side of the steering board (or the left side). This is where the term "port side" came from.

sasto

Captain

I don't think that's quite correct. It goes back much, much further than the propeller does. I believe it dates back to the days when boats were controlled by the "steering board". Basically, the steering board was a rudder most commonly attached on the right side of the boat (since most people are right handed). This is also where the term starboard came from. Now when a boat was brought in to port, it was tied up on the opposite side of the steering board (or the left side). This is where the term "port side" came from.

Ye, the Brittish way, and you are correct. Red right return and docking to port played a part in this.

I do think manufactures these days take in to consideration prop torque. Least they tell me so.

Interesting question, maybe an engineer will clarify this more.

Chincoteaguer

Seaman Apprentice

I think Britian is the main influence. They were the first modern major sea power and just like automobiles they probably reversed the pilots side on their boats and unlike automobiles the odd placement prevailed.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno, I have operated both left and right hand.
mostly its because the general population is right handed,most boats have side or flush mounted controls so the right hand wants to operate the throttle.
I think the word is ergonomics.
I have rigged a few center console boats with the binnicale to the left of the helm cause left handed folks like to use the left hand for the throttle.
that about sums it up.
its marketing.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Ye, the Brittish way, and you are correct. Red right return and docking to port played a part in this.

I do think manufactures these days take in to consideration prop torque. Least they tell me so.

Interesting question, maybe an engineer will clarify this more.

Balancing the prop torque is a definite benefit from a right hand drive. I'm just saying I don't think it's the reason for a right hand drive. Most boats (certainly not all) have been right hand driven for far longer than the prop has been around.

Not all boats are right hand drives.

Engines can be either right hand, or left hand turning.

sasto

Captain

I did some research..........Capt Ron started this tradition, he was blind in the left eye! :)

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

mines in the center,,,whats this all about,,,:eek:

Happy Thanks Giving!!!

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seen this question posted many times over the years with lots of answers that make sense and sound correct. The one about the steering board and port side seems to be reason that has oldest reasoning behind it. The engine torque is usually posted along with the controls for right handed folks.

When we recently got our current which is a center console I thought it would be hard getting used to location of helm but its been pretty smooth adjustment.

movinon

Cadet

A few weeks ago I was watching a movie where the cruiser they were using was left hand drive. It was in England.
It was the only boat in the movie where I happened to noticed which side the wheel was on, so I don't know if that is the norm over there..
I thought it was interesting, if that was the norm, that over there where their cars are right hand drive, the boat was left hand and just the opposite over here.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

so here's a stumper... Why do most older jet boats (and a fair number of speedboats) have the driver on the left side?

100_15611.JPG

31397515_1.jpg

boat1977014.jpg

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dunno
its simply the manufactures choice and what they think they can market.
same as why over the years I have rigged hotfoots on the left side, cause thats what the customer wanted.
same as one customer,has two boats both with twin lever morse controls, he rigs them so the throttle handle is all the way fwd for idle and you pull it all the way back for WOT.
dont ask about the first time I ever started his F100.
about all I can say is its unbelievable the starting RPM you can get on an F100.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its just the right side for a steering, I always wondered y americans have their steering on the wrong side of their car, instead of doing the right thing, and putting it on the right. :D

Happy Thanksgiving to all :)

No Fuss :D

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My guess on the jet boats is that it was race car/hot rod enthusiast that started to make them and so they just kept the controls on the left side like their cars. But like I said that is my speculation.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

IMHO, its purely because of prop torque. RH prop = RH drive. I don't think the designers today are old enough to have ever heard of a steerboard...LOL.

I don't think you'll find a left hand drive boat being manufactured today in the USA. Jets are a hybrid so maybe they don't fit in this discussion. And of course all single marine engines were standardized on RH props many years ago.

But if you look at classic and antique boats and antique outboard motors you'll find that half were RH and half were LH. My own 1952 boat is a left hand drive and it originally came with a Merc of the same vintage with a LH prop. I have 2 Evinrude Rowboat motors from the 1920's that were manufactured 2 years apart and one has a RH prop and the other a LH.

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right hand drive also gives a clearer view (unobstructed) of boats (and that red light at night) approaching or crossing from your right. Maybe one more reason?

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never had a right hand steer boat and boats come in rt or left hand prop drives so the "prop torque" theory doesn't hold any weight.

Boats also come in center steer configuration.

Some of you guys live sheltered lives and don't realize the world isn't limited to fishing boats and 40 mph cabin cruisers. :cool:

And another thing, why do some boats have a gas pedal and some have a throttle handle?

Center steer.
normal_Blown_alky_circle_hydro.jpg

normal_Gay.jpg

normal_Hanson_Wacker.jpg

left steer.
pinkfinsaf3.jpg

normal_DSC05476.JPG