1974 t0 1976 Springbok aluminum boats

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone help me to find a web site on old springbok boats i bought one. Now have to find web site so I can learn more about them thanks. I found some but can,t find mine 16 foot- front controls and window two seats glove box flood light marker light at the front and one on each side of bow plus two haft rails up front too and flat front window storage on both port and starboard sides

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1974 t0 1976 Springbok aluminum boats

A fellow Springbok owner - howdy!

Here's our long-suffering 14 footer and I think a '72 model. It's the boat I learned to handle my first outboards on when I was about 7. First a Johnny 2 horse (yep...slow!). Then a Johnny 9.9. And finally, the 7.5 Merc you see here.

My Dad added the side console, steering and throttle back in the late 70s. I grew up in this boat, spent thousands of hours exploring the nooks and crannies of the local lakes.

It's been laid up with motor, transom, and rivet issues for several years now. I'm hoping to give it a new lease on life for my own kid now who is 8 and starting to study for his operator's card for next summer.

Sorry - no idea of where to get more info though...Let's see a pic of yours!

Springbok_console2.jpg

Springbok_console1.jpg

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

have U ever thought about rino guard bed liner for trucks to stop leaks..roll a hole can on the in side let it dry and presto leak gone ,but i,m not sure what it will do to aluminum ,ask around .....

Huron Angler

Admiral

have U ever thought about rino guard bed liner for trucks to stop leaks..roll a hole can on the in side let it dry and presto leak gone ,but i,m not sure what it will do to aluminum ,ask around .....

Gluvit is by far the best way to fix leaky rivets, except for rebucking them with a small sledge. Both techniques will keep the boat dry.

Those Springbok are some nice looking boats. Were they made in Canada?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Gluvit is by far the best way to fix leaky rivets, except for rebucking them with a small sledge. Both techniques will keep the boat dry.

Those Springbok are some nice looking boats. Were they made in Canada?

I tried some gawd-awful goop probably along the lines of the stuff gary mentioned - and messed it up pretty good. Not to mention didn't fix the leak.

I may either go the Gluvit route after I clean it up or a neighbour offered to help with the rebucking.

Either way, she deserves to be redone. I do like her lines and of course the sentimental value is off the charts for me with her. The thought of seeing my own boy heading out in her gets me all choked up, sap that I am...I think they were Canadian made but can't recall for sure.

When I was in Grade 6 I named her and stuck on some letters...Sea Squirt. LOL - how corny eh? I had learned in science class there was a type of small water bug called a sea squirt and immediately thought - That's it! :)

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they were made by aluminum co. have to get my glasses on to read the rest
lol

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do U download pic to this site

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

huron Thanks many times over ,job well done on your boat and thanks for your info too! Like U guys I don,t have a garage so winter work is out till spring I will show pic,s this Sunday of mine ,would like to know what U guys think ..

1fishbone

Chief Petty Officer

scoutabout COOl that you still have your first boat.
It would be a good father/son project!!;);)

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

scott nice old boat sorry U did bed-liner wrong but for some guys it works great
did U have any oil or gas on the floor or water moisture of any kind then that stuff will not work right.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Bed liners are pretty heavy,maybe try steelflex or gluvit,can be put on the outside and it's super slick and tough.
Better yet just re-buck/replace some rivets.

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no bed liner is not heavy 1 can can do a 16 foot boat one coat drys fast and will felix a little with the boat can not add more then 5 lbs if it works in truck bed why not boats very tough stuff..

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

No it was some kind of roofing sealant I think. Bad choice - it just happened to be some stuff I had around the garage. Not sure how I'm going to get it off. I ran it along all the rivet lines and seams on the exterior of the boat. Maybe going over it with bed liner on the exterior?

Yeah - I agree fishbone - it's very cool to still have "my" original boat. I remember a neighbour asked my dad if he could buy it when I was off at university or something 20 years ago or so. It had been sitting pulled up on shore for a couple of summers and I guess the guy thought we didn't want it any more because it wasn't being used regularly. Glad dad said no!

Anyway, don't mean to hijack your thread gary! :D

garyq

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NO problem I think we are Springbok brothers LOL